Does anyone prefer US over IOA for a full day?

captaindavidhook

<font color=green>Stay away from there<br><font co
Just thought I would ask if any of you like US over IOA for a full park day? I think IOA has the better rides but grigotts and mummy alone always keep me happy.

We love both parks, but we do seem to spend more time in our main trip of the year which is park focused, in the Studios........

I have gone back and forth through the years, but for the last couple of years US is the favorite. Islands was the favorite for many years, and may be again when the new coasters open.

I have always been more partial to US. That may be because of my visit to US Hollywood. It reminds me of the original park and my initial attraction to Universal was "Ride the Movies". That said, I do multi-day trips to Universal and go back and forth for about a week so I can't answer which park for a full day. I can do a full day at either.

Total newbie to Universal here- what’s the difference between the two parks?

To me Islands of Adventure has all the water rides. I think there is more simulator ride is over at Universal Studios. I think you also have two in my opinion of the spiderman and Hulk. More rides to do at Islands of Adventure but Universal Studios is just as good in my opinion mommy is one of my favorite rides. Don't discount Despicable Me as that is a good ride as well.

I think it depends on the ages you are with. When we took the young grandkids, we spent more time at IOA.
We now go alone to Universal, and our favorite is Studios side. We love HP, the Mummy, MIB, Minions, and Shrek. Also try to see Movie Makeup Show, which is always hilarious. We just love this park at our ages, and don't find much for us in IOA, except SpiderMan.

On short trips, we hop each day. Longer trips (4+ days), we often alternate full days in each park. Weather and temperature affects which days we spend in IoA, since all of the water rides are there. The last few years, I'd say we have spent more full days in the Studios, though. That's primarily for Diagon Alley and, my favorite, The Mummy. Having said that, when we visit later this year, I imagine we will be in IoA each morning to ride the new Harry Potter ride.

We are a US family if we have to choose - Diagon Alley and Mummy are the standout reasons, but we love our MIB competitions, huge Transformer fans, ET nostalgia, etc.

But we also love the water rides, Kong, Spidey, and Hagrids might tip the scales back to I of A.

We usually hop as well, especially when we have AP's.

IoA , as others have said, has the wet rides, and the IoA wet rides are VERY wet. In winter, they are sometimes closed. We often skip them, or do them as a group.
IoA has Hulk, Kong, Seussland, Hogsmeade, plus a few others.

US side has Diagon Alley (I'd say more detail than Hogsmeade), Minions, Mummy,Transformers, E.T., Simpsons, Men in Black, and the night time movie show at park close, plus a few others.

Of the two, we probably spend a little more time in the US side as well, but it is a bit of a toss up. I think the difference is some of the rides we repeat. We often go on Mummy and MIB twice in a row.

The new HP ride will be coming soon to Hogsmeade. They also have a little light show they do - or maybe sometimes do - on the castle. I'm not 100% on how often, except the area only hold a limited # of guests, so you have to arrive early to be admitted. It was fun to see, but we don't see either show every night. (They aren't quite as spectacular as WDW's night shows, IMO.) If new ride is a great, we'll maybe favor IoA.

I should add, at WDW hopping = lost park time between parks. At Universal hopping = an extra ride, AND more efficient park touring, especially if you buy one of the wands and stay onsite.

If you get a wand, stay onsite/go all-in...then you quickly realize it is a pain to carry the wand around all day/night. Wands often have to be stowed in a locker when going on rides. the lockers are free, but they take time, and well, wands are a bit awkward to carry.

So...it is much easier to only carry them part of the day, and hopping makes that easier.

Last edited:
I think the reason why I can spend all day at Universal is, because technically as a whole there is more to do at Universal and most of the things I like to do not only are at Universal and are spread out without the whole park. Where as with IoA, I typically focus on Marvel Super Hero Island, Hogsmeade, or might want to go to Jurassic Park. When I had a pass I typically went to IoA for only a few rides I was jonesing to go on for, then I'd be done.

US gets my vote. Diagon Alley is so much bigger and less congested than Hogsmeade. The Mummy, Simpsons (land, not ride), shows, RRR,...are all things I really enjoy in US.

Thanks for the info. Planning for next year! I haven't been to this park in 16 years!

Spiderman
Kong
Poseidons Fury
take the train to US
only need about 2 hours in IOA

US for me. IOA is great, but there are more things to do and see at US. And there are better areas to hang out and relax and people watch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter