Does anyone have a recipe for Trifle?

airhead

DIS Veteran
I know I saw it here before,but I didn't pay too much attention to it. Now,I wish I did!!
I need it for an 80th birthday celebration!
I know it had ladyfingers,strawberries and cream.

Airhead

Trifle is one of those things that can be made a hundred different ways - my mother in law's is completely different to my mum's. (I'd better not say which I prefer!)

basic requirements of a trifle are, sponge at the bottom (or ladyfingers) liberally soaked in alcohol, then a jello with fruit set in it, custard next and topped with whipped cream.

there are a lot of recipies on Google, but this one sounds the closest to what I would call Trifle.
Eller House
Sonora, California
Specialty Recipe
English Sherry Trifle

Ingredients
1 package jam rolls or sponge cake
One 30-ounce can fruit cocktail I would use your strawberries instead of fruit cocktail
1 package strawberry gelatin
1 package (1 envelope) Birds custard mix
1 pint fresh cream
1 can mandarin oranges
1/3 cup (or more) Harvey's Bristol Creme Sherry or any good sherry

In a large glass dessert bowl, cut and lay jam rolls to cover bottom of dish. Pour the sherry over jam rolls. Drain fruit cocktail and lay on top of sponge cake.
Prepare gelatin and pour over fruit cocktail. Place in refrigerator to set 3 hours or until gelatin sets. Prepare custard according to package directions; while still hot,
pour over set gelatin. Place a film of plastic wrap (saran wrap) over top of custard so the custard will not form a crust. Cool; refrigerate to set 2 hours. Whip fresh
cream until light and fluffy. Remove film and spread cream evenly on top of custard. Drain mandarin oranges and arrange on top of cream.

You found this recipe on 1st Traveler's Choice Internet Cookbook. (www.virtualcities.com)

Bev

Got these from the food channel website.

English Trifle

6 cups pound cake scraps and crumbs
1 cup simple syrup (2 parts water, 1 part sugar brought to a boil and allowed to cool to room temperature)
1/4 cup sherry or orange flavored liqueur
Vanilla pastry cream, recipe follows
Brown sugar whipped cream, recipe follows
1/2 cup nuts ground with 1/2 cup sugar
2 pints strawberries, cut up tossed with 1/4 of cup sugar
In a large bowl toss together the cake scraps, simple syrup, and liquor to moisten the cake.

In a trifle bowl or individual glass stemware, layer the ingredients in the following order: cake, Vanilla Pastry Cream, Brown Sugar Whipped Cream, nuts and strawberries, repeating until the container is full, ending with whipped cream as the top layer. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. (Can be made a day in advance up to this point and is actually better if allowed to sit over night.) Decorate with more fruit and finely chopped nuts, or rosettes of whipped cream and strawberries.

Vanilla Pastry Cream:
2 cups whole, 2%, or 1% fat milk
1/2 vanilla bean split lengthwise
6 egg yolks
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Bring the milk and vanilla bean to a boil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat and set aside to infuse for 10 to 15 minutes. Whisk the egg yolks and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cornstarch and whisk vigorously until no lumps remain. Whisk 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture into the yolks until incorporated. Whisk in the remaining hot milk mixture. Pour the mixture through a strainer back into the saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and slowly boiling. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Let cool slightly. Cover with plastic wrap, lightly pressing the plastic against the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill at least two hours. (The pastry cream can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Refrigerate until 1 hour before using.)

Brown Sugar Whipped Cream:
2 cups chilled heavy cream
2 tablespoons light brown sugar

Whip the cream and brown sugar until stiff.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 minutes

English Trifle

c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved

1 (10 3/4ounce) frozen pound cake
1/3 cup sweet Sherry
1/2 cup raspberry jam
3 cups mixed berries (sliced strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)
2 kiwi fruit, peeled and cut into chunks
2 peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks
Custard:
8 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups whole milk
1/2 pint whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
strawberries, for garnish
Cut pound cake in half lengthwise and trim halves to cover bottom of glass trifle dish, or a 9 inch straightsided glass bowl. Sprinkle cake with Sherry to soak, and spread cake with jam, heating jam if necessary to facilitate spreading. Place berries, kiwi and peaches on top of cake.

Heat the milk in top of double boiler over mediumlow heat until film forms on it. Beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla in a double boiler until it forms a ribbon. Then slowly pour the hot milk into the eggs, beating all the time. Place the mixture in a heavy saucepan and stir over low heat until the custard coats the back of a spoon, 10 to 15 minutes. Don't let it boil. Strain it through a fine sieve. Cool the custard in a bowl set in ice water, stirring occasionally. Pour cooled custard over the fruit. Refrigerate, covered, at least 4 hours.

Whip cream to soft peaks. Beat in powdered sugar and continue beating until stiff. Spread whipped cream over the trifle and garnish with strawberries.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Difficulty: Easy

THIS ONE I MAKE FOR OUR FAMILY. IT WAS GIVEN TO ME BY MY HUSBANDS GRANDMOTHER WHO CAME FROM ENGLAND.

LADY FINGERS
VANILLA PUDDING
MILK
RASPBERRY, FRESH OR FROZEN.
WHIPPING CREAM
SUGAR
WATER
CINNAMON

LINE A GLASS BOWL ON THE BOTTOM AND ALONG THE SIDES WITH LADY FINGERS CUT IN HALF LENGTHWISE. ON THE STOVE COMBINE WATER AND SUGAR TO MAKE A SIMPLE SRYUP. ONE CUP OF SUGAR TO TWO CUPS OF WATER. BRING TO BOIL STIRRING LOWER HEAT AND CONTINUE COOKING SUGAR ALL OF THE SUGAR MELTS. LET COOL. WHEN COOL POUR SOME OVER THE LADY FINGERS. SOMETIME IT TAKES MOST OF THE SYRUP AND SOMETIMES NOT. DEPENDS ON THE WEATHER AND LADYFINGERS.

WITH YOUR RASPBERRIES IF THEY ARE FRESH ADD SOME SUGAR AND LETS SIT FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS UNTIL THERE IS JUICE FROM THE RASPBERRIES AND SAVE THE JUICE. WITH FROZEN RASPBERRIES THERE ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE ENOUGH JUICE WHEN THEY DEFROST.

PREPARE THE PUDDING TO PACKAGE DIRECTIONS. DOES NOT MATTER IF IT IS COOKED PUDDING OR INSTANT, ALL TO YOUR TASTE.

START LAYERING THE PUDDING, RASPBERRIES AND REMAINING LADYFINGERS AND JUICE TO ALMOST THE TOP OF THE BOWL. wHIPP YOUR CREAM FOR ABOUT A MINUTE THEN GRADUALLY ADD THE SUGAR TO TASTE UNTIL SOFT PEAK. THEN ADD A LITTLE CINNAMON AND PUT ON TOP OF THE TRIFFLE. PUT IN REFRIGATOR AND LET SIT A COUPLE OF HOURS SO EVERYTHING MELDS TOGETHER.

START

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter