Does anyone else walk, run while packing heat?

Our Constitution can be updated and has many times since it was ratified. It is is difficult to do so, as it should be, and can't be done with a simple majority or by the federal government alone.
Yes, I'm aware. I've long studied US politics, as it's a flawed system that is incredibly interesting and becoming even more so now, when the limitations are running up against an increasingly divided population who don't agree. There's a massive problem with allowing accurate representation for a population, not only in Congress with the highly disproportionate representation but more staggeringly, denying Washington DC statehood. I say staggeringly because one of the key factors in the founding of the US is "no taxation without representation", yet here you have a large population centre paying federal taxes yet having no representation. I do think it's time for something new though, it's been almost 50 years since the last amendment (No, the 27th doesn't count!) and think of all that mankind has achieved in that time.

As an outside observer I'm interested to see how it plays out over the next few decades. I wish you all well.

Sorry Beertiger but I only "wheel out" the 2nd Amendment when others desire to take it away.
Who on earth is trying to take away your 2nd amendment? Why so defensive?

Last edited:
I think its awful that any woman would have to feel the need to carry a loaded firearm (or even pepper spray or some similar self-defense device) while running, walking, or doing any sort of recreational activity. I run a lot outdoors and try my best to appear friendly and non-threatening to anyone else I pass by or cross paths with on the road or trail. As a guy, I can forget perspectives other than my own (my two main concerns leaving the house for a run are "do I have my keys?" and "do I have my headphones?") and this thread has been a good remainder to be cognizant of situations that I may not be aware of. Maybe that'll be one side benefit of social distancing; awareness of spatial proximity to other runners, walkers, etc. and recognition of others' viewpoints.

Who on earth is trying to take away your 2nd amendment? Why so defensive?

This is an excellent question and the answer is: no one. No one is trying to take “rights” away but advocates for sensible gun control are trying to update our laws to make everyone safer and some gun owners feel threatened by that because of the “slippery slope” argument, ergo any regulation is a “gun grab” to some people.

Now before Grumpy gets on my case, I believe everyone should have the right to own a gun if they so choose. There are good and lawful reasons to own a firearm, including protection, sport and hunting. My grandfather was a hunter, so growing up there were guns in the house and I was taught to treat them with the due respect a deadly weapon deserves and not as a toy like I’ve seen many others cavalierly treat them. DH and FIL also hunt and we’ve had many conversations about how to approach the subject when we when we have kids - it’s a serious and complex issue.

Yet none of that addresses the fact that we have a serious problem in this country with gun violence - not just mass shooting events but domestic violence, accidents, suicides. As an advocate for gun ownership I believe the best thing we can do to protect our rights is compromise on some of the clearer issues like banning assault rifles (can’t use them to hunt, don’t need anything superpowered like that to protect yourself, they serve no purpose other than to cause mass death and destruction and no citizen should have that power) and tighter, cleaner regulations on licensing and ownership - prove you are responsible and knowledgable enough to own a gun, just like you have to prove you’re responsible and knowledgable enough to drive a car or operate heavy machinery.

Again, it’s a complex issue that like everything else has shades of grey. I’m a responsible gun owner and I really hate the fact that others don’t realize the more you fight common sense regulations the harder you’ll get pushed back on making a full ban *more* likely. There’s nothing wrong with trying to keep the general public (and your own family) safe while also protecting our rights.

/soapbox

Yes, I'm aware. I've long studied US politics, as it's a flawed system that is incredibly interesting and becoming even more so now, when the limitations are running up against an increasingly divided population who don't agree. There's a massive problem with allowing accurate representation for a population, not only in Congress with the highly disproportionate representation but more staggeringly, denying Washington DC statehood. I say staggeringly because one of the key factors in the founding of the US is "no taxation without representation", yet here you have a large population centre paying federal taxes yet having no representation. I do think it's time for something new though, it's been almost 50 years since the last amendment (No, the 27th doesn't count!) and think of all that mankind has achieved in that time.

As an outside observer I'm interested to see how it plays out over the next few decades. I wish you all well.

Washington DC sends a representative to the House so they do have a say in congressional matters, just not on the senate level. Since tax bills start in the House DC does have representation regarding taxes. That was a lesson we had in school since it does seem contradictory on it's face. There is also an elected Council that handles a lot of the legislature a state congress would normally handle.

If you are unaware of the folks that want to repeal the 2nd Amendment then you simply aren't paying attention.
A failed Texas senate candidate nicknamed "Beto" recently tried in vain to gin up a repeal.

If you are unaware of the folks that want to repeal the 2nd Amendment then you simply aren't paying attention.
A failed Texas senate candidate nicknamed "Beto" recently tried in vain to gin up a repeal.

I’m fully aware and the longer we go without addressing the concerns around gun violence we currently have, the more public sentiment is going to swing behind a full repeal. Currently the data doesn’t suggest that we’re there yet, but there is a real desire to see some movement towards common sense controls which I support and other gun owners should as well. If you care so much about gun rights what are your solutions to the problem that address both? It’s not good enough to say “hands off” because that does nothing to solve the current issues around purchase loopholes and rising gun violence statistics.

Hi, guy who doesn't live in the US here again. Um, Beto didn't run on a campaign to try and repeal the 2nd amendment. He was running on a buyback scheme for specific firearms. If even I know that, shouldn't you? I know the media is a mess over there and the day after Beto announced this, a campaign for Trump released attack ads on Facebook misrepresenting his position but it shouldn't be too hard for you to actually look at his policy and realise it was in no way a repeal of the 2nd.

Are there any more? I have seen people talking about amending the amendment and surely you wouldn't be opposed to that right?* Otherwise you'd never have gotten the 2nd amendment in the first place.

*assuming it wasn't a complete ban on any form of firearm of course. I would understand opposing that as even I think that would be ludicrous. Even in the UK we are able to buy rifles and shotguns.

Last edited:

Washington DC sends a representative to the House so they do have a say in congressional matters, just not on the senate level. Since tax bills start in the House DC does have representation regarding taxes. That was a lesson we had in school since it does seem contradictory on it's face. There is also an elected Council that handles a lot of the legislature a state congress would normally handle.
They don't have a full representative though do they? They're not allowed to vote on the floor for example.

I guess I'm a minimalist as I don't run with a gun, a phone, a water bottle / hydration vest, or nutrition. Just a single car key in my pocket if I had to drive to the start of my run. That means for runs longer than 6-8 miles I have to stash a water bottle and GU's ahead of time along the route. I run trails and do take occasional falls and thus some day I may get hurt and will probably wish I had a phone. I see a lot of wildlife but in suburban Chicago nothing wilder than a coyote maybe once a year, so no need for bear spray or weapons. I realize it also helps to be a guy; I've never been frightened by someone on the trail and worry much more about trying not to startle other runners oblivious to the fact I'm about to run by them.

For runDisney events (this is for Doc), only shoes, socks, shorts, a shirt, a hat, and a Garmin.

I guess I'm a minimalist as I don't run with a gun, a phone, a water bottle / hydration vest, or nutrition. Just a single car key in my pocket if I had to drive to the start of my run. That means for runs longer than 6-8 miles I have to stash a water bottle and GU's ahead of time along the route. I run trails and do take occasional falls and thus some day I may get hurt and will probably wish I had a phone. I see a lot of wildlife but in suburban Chicago nothing wilder than a coyote maybe once a year, so no need for bear spray or weapons. I realize it also helps to be a guy; I've never been frightened by someone on the trail and worry much more about trying not to startle other runners oblivious to the fact I'm about to run by them.

For runDisney events (this is for Doc), only shoes, socks, shorts, a shirt, a hat, and a Garmin.

Yeah I always take my phone. Usually because I listen to music as I run but it’s helpful to have just in case I need to buy things or call for help (aka call my wife!). A few years ago when I was marathon training I just bonked about 2 miles from the house. My body wouldn’t even let me walk the remaining distance so I had to call for a ride. She wasn’t happy as it was in the middle of our newborn and toddler’s lunchtime.

And once when I was living in DC (before cellphones) I went out for a run with just my keys. It was a glorious late afternoon along the Potomac and suddenly I was way out by the naval yards and it was dark and I was tired! I basically limped home very slowly. I really wished I had brought even a couple of dollars to get on the Metro.

For runDisney events I bring my phone. I like to take photos along the way when we have a chance and it’s helpful for the family to track where I am.

Funny, I never realized life in the UK was crime free.
Perhaps taking away everyone's blunt spoons and garden tools solved all violent crime?
Who'da thunk it?

Seriously, the straw-man argument of "living in constant fear" just doesn't hold water.
I bet many on this board wear a face mask when they go to the grocery store.
I assume most wear a seat belt while driving.
Look both ways when crossing the street.
Why are YOU living in constant fear?

Please respect a person's right in this country to make full use of our 2nd Amendment that many died to ensure.
If your country doesn't allow such a fundamental American Constitutional Right, so be it.

(BTW, I've never run with a gun except during the Summer when it's "suns-out-guns-out.)" :P
There was almost four times the risk of a women being raped in England and Wales in 2019 versus the US but...nothing to see there. Speaking of not updating to meet modern requirements they might look at updating cricket bat design to provide women some protective equipment against the more hostile environment they encounter there. It would definitely have to be an open carry system with cricket bats.

Keeping on-topic, so far my only recommendation to the OP (is she still around?) was to get something in stainless.

I'm going to modify my suggestion.

What you need is a gold plated Deagle (Desert Eagle) in .44 cal.

I only say this because I found tremendous difficulties in carrying my second suggestion (a .300blk AR pistol with a 10.5 barrel, Silencerco Omega 300 and a Magpul D60 magazine)-- it doesn't fit in the fanny pack very well....

I may look at the other 60 something guns my husband has, I just really like the feel of the 9mm, but even I agree now it could be to big. I am open to other guns as well.

I may look at the other 60 something guns my husband has, I just really like the feel of the 9mm, but even I agree now it could be to big. I am open to other guns as well.
the problem with small is simply a matter of physics- smaller mass equals more felt recoil. if the recoil is too harsh, you won't practice with it (bad). Maybe a Glock 43?

so a desert eagle is a no go? LOL......

the problem with small is simply a matter of physics- smaller mass equals more felt recoil. if the recoil is too harsh, you won't practice with it (bad). Maybe a Glock 43?

so a desert eagle is a no go? LOL......
Right. I will just look to see what hubby has, or what he could buy me, trade, swap, what ever, lol. I will see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts