Does anyone else notice the lack of diversity at Walt Disney World as of late?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate when I mess up a quote, and can't figure out how to change it, and it leaves the whole "blue box" thingie" like this did. :(

You can adjust where the close quote tag is. it is in the brackets and starts with a slash. It looks like this: "[/QUOTE]"

If you move that to above where your comments begin it will fix the post. Not that it matters here, but in the future you can try that.

You can adjust where the close quote tag is. it is in the brackets and starts with a slash. It looks like this: "
If you move that to above where your comments begin it will fix the post. Not that it matters here, but in the future you can try that.[/QUOTE]

And yep, was agreeing with you in regards to the OP by saying while I may NOT be familiar with "the looks" or feeling out of place due to race, I am familiar due to size. Funny thing is - yes - I may be larger than some, but as all my friends tell me "You're not that big!". Especially after having lost almost 80 lbs. over the last 2 years or so.

In reference to the quotes Thanx - I knew that, and usually mess up where it ends, not begins. Tried several times to fix it before I posted the "I hate when....." and couldn't. For whatever reason, I just tried again, and it worked. Maybe you have the magic touch, and just talking about it with you caused me to be able to fix it? :)

If you move that to above where your comments begin it will fix the post. Not that it matters here, but in the future you can try that.

And yep, was agreeing with you in regards to the OP by saying while I may NOT be familiar with "the looks" or feeling out of place due to race, I am familiar due to size. Funny thing is - yes - I may be larger than some, but as all my friends tell me "You're not that big!". Especially after having lost almost 80 lbs. over the last 2 years or so.

In reference to the quotes Thanx - I knew that, and usually mess up where it ends, not begins. Tried several times to fix it before I posted the "I hate when....." and couldn't. For whatever reason, I just tried again, and it worked. Maybe you have the magic touch, and just talking about it with you caused me to be able to fix it? :)

And funnily enough, my example Quote tag in my post messed up the quote in your post. ;)

(fixed - Mary Jo)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I went in WDW in September I saw plenty of diversity. My husband and I actually joked that I believe there were more languages other than english being spoken than actually english. We saw people of all different ethnicities as well.

OP perhaps you may consider encouraging people you know to go give Disney a try.

I don't know if it's just me but I was recently there at Disney World and noticed not to many people of my color there but it's probably just me. I know people from all over the globe come to Disney World but not too many black american's. That is probably why I feel singled out sometimes when I go or the cast members give me weird looks when I am the only one standing in line for character meet and greets lol I guess they don't see too many of my kind. I don't know but the cast members do need to open their mind a little more when single black adult guys stand in lines for character meet and greets.

Okay, there's two things going on here.

1. I don't think there's a lack of diversity at Disney World. I'm a white dude so I'm usually hesitant to shut down things like diversity concerns because I usually agree that we need more diversity. But at WDW? It's everywhere. And I think that's a great thing. I love that there's so many different kinds of people in the parks. I don't want Disney World to be a place just for white people, I want everyone to feel included. And I think Disney does a great job promoting diversity, especially with their cast members.

2. The issue of you feeling singled out or judged seems a little more complex. Now I absolutely believe that racism is still alive and well in America and whites can never understand what black people have to go through on a daily basis. So if you're in a nice store and feel like you're being watched, I believe you. But for your situation in Disney, based on your posting history, I feel pretty comfortable making this statement: in my opinion, cast members aren't singling you out or judging you because you're black. Cast members might be singling you out or judging you because you're using Disney World to fulfill your needs as a furry. You've said it yourself:

"I am furry in denial or in closeted, that was the whole reason I went to Disney because the furry wouldn't accept so I felt like Disney did... I became a throne in the cast member backside's for visiting the characters so many times in one day and wanting to hug them all the time."

You want private meetings with characters. You've visited character spots 26 times in a single day. You've asked about "getting too friendly" with the characters. Stuff like this is why you feel like you're getting judged at Disney World, not because you're black. I guarantee if you were white it would be exactly the same.

Disney World isn't a place where furries go to indulge in their fantasies that they can't do in everyday life. If you're a furry and you love meeting the characters, that's fine. Do it once and act in a regular, non-creepy way, and no one will care. Going to see them two dozen times and pushing the limits of acceptable behavior with them, so much that cast members - who are usually super friendly when they're with characters - look a little concerned is not proper behavior in Disney World.

[This is the strangest "Disney" related post I've ever typed up.]

Last edited:

I too took the OP's original post at face value, until Tonyz's reply. Then after a bit of digging around realized that the OP has posted about his CM/M&G issues in other forum boards that are completely unrelated to race. Please don't complain that people on the DIS forums are not nice when you go around pulling stunts like this.

We were witness to "The Look" while riding the Monorail back from Epcot last month. The train was almost empty (week of Irma) and when we got on a young black man jumped over the seat to join his friends and to free up the seat so me and my family could sit down. Another couple got on and sat across from us so the guy and his friends were sitting to our back so we could not see them. One young man started playing hip hop music on his phone and the dirty looks these 2 older white women were giving him burnt a hole through me right into the back of his head. Then they were commenting so without hesitation, My wife looked at my 6 year old and said go baby! She got up and started dancing lol. The looks got worse! I guess these ladies figured we would side with them. Nope. Not us! We enjoy ALL music and we actually live it. I DJ and we own a car audio store so music is our life and seeing my daughter start dancing and the fact that the young teens were nodding to her moves with huge smiles, then add the mean and shocked looks on those ladies faces made for one awesome trip back to the resort!

I don't know if it's just me but I was recently there at Disney World and noticed not to many people of my color there but it's probably just me. I know people from all over the globe come to Disney World but not too many black american's. That is probably why I feel singled out sometimes when I go or the cast members give me weird looks when I am the only one standing in line for character meet and greets lol I guess they don't see too many of my kind. I don't know but the cast members do need to open their mind a little more when single black adult guys stand in lines for character meet and greets.
Not sure about the diversity part but I have gone to Disney alone and have felt eyes on me. It might not always be "look at that weirdo" but it could be "aww is she here by herself? Got no friends or family?" Maybe I look like a total geek. Idk. I promise it's not because you're black you're getting weird looks. It's because you're a grown up at Disney alone.

Great! Everyone in this thread made some good valid points and replied thoughtful answers which I do appreciate, thank you. Now I see some in this discussion have looked at my last postings and made it clear to point it out. Listen that is not what this thread is about, No furries, no private meetings none of that okay? It is clearly about what I noticed at Walt Disney World as of late and wanted to see if anyone else had anything to say about it. I know I created some disturbing threads no need to remind me but I just wanted to discuss about lack of diversity at the theme parks nothing to do with the characters or anything.

i cant decide if you (OP) are a trouble maker or a nut job. first of all you know as well as i do that sooner or later a discussion about diversity will fall into the pit of misery....dilly dilly. and as far as an unnatural attraction to sweaty people in furry costumes.....................

Last edited:
I've seen plenty of diversity in the parks whenever I've been.

FTR, can someone tell me what the hell is a "furry" is?
It's a character with a full head, vs. a "face character" - so Pooh would be a "furry", but a princess would be a "face", since her face is allowed to show. At least that's my feeble understanding and explanation.

@BigAlsGal
I also get the "Awwww - is she alone?" looks in my every day life all the time, as I often shop, hang out, eat, and go to movies alone. If you truly feel that sorry for me, why not JOIN me? :)
i prefer to go places alone and i have never felt out of place, my youngest daughter is the same. in fact at 24 she has been to WDW by herself a couple of times. my wife however cannot bring herself to do it.

Great! Everyone in this thread made some good valid points and replied thoughtful answers which I do appreciate, thank you. Now I see some in this discussion have looked at my last postings and made it clear to point it out. Listen that is not what this thread is about, No furries, no private meetings none of that okay? It is clearly about what I noticed at Walt Disney World as of late and wanted to see if anyone else had anything to say about it. I know I created some disturbing threads no need to remind me but I just wanted to discuss about lack of diversity at the theme parks nothing to do with the characters or anything.
The problem is, James, that when you first posted, you figured that the looks you were receiving were based on your "furry" obsession. And you attributed it to the fact that you were in line multiple times for the same character. You have also asked about how much contact is allowed when hugging a "furry" character.

Once you give that information and ask those questions, it is very difficult to not see these current observations as something other than what you are stating.

Could cast members be giving you a side glance because of your color? Sure. Is it more likely to be because you have been in line too many times and maybe you have gotten a little too close? Probably.

Since we have totally went off topic on this discussion and are talking other postings that I created I will give you the real reason why I posted those threads ready? It has nothing to do with fetishes of any kind like someone mentioned on here, nothing to do with furries, and whatever else you're thinking about. I love mascots, not furries!. No fetish of any kind but it is something I am very passionate about hoping to become one myself or work for a team. I loved Disney since I was a kid but I developed my love for mascots when I was a kid too and it never went away. Believe me I have a lot of pictures with team mascots, restaurant mascots, promotion mascots and Disney World so happen have what I love but favorite characters from the movies are there too so I don't see them because they are mascots but I grew up with Disney characters that is why my interaction with the characters always seem so concerned but it's just innocently seeing my childhood superstars lol that includes universal studios characters I grew up with them. So I am sorry for all the disturbing postings but that is the god honest truth and I know seeing them a dozen times in a row is a little excessive so I'll limit it to three times per visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter