Does an Brain MRI show anything?

shoegirl1020

Mouseketeer
My dh and mil were just discussing my ds at easter dinner and the only "evaluation" that hasn't been done is an MRI of hte brain. I was just thinking-wondering "Would that show anything different". As you may recall from past posts ds has many diagnosis, including Mood Disorder, ADHD and PDD.

Secondly, I read in the Parade Magazine today that some kids with ADHD have had their tonsils and adneoids removed and it "cured" ADHD. Any thoughts ----No, I'm not thinking of doing it. Just wondering what others thought.

My DS has had 3 MRIs. The docs were looking for any brain abnormalities in order to explain his developmental and muscular issues. The brain tissues change as the child ages. So, we finally got our diagnosis after the 3rd MRI. So, usually, MRIs are used to examine brain tissues and structures for abnormalities.

I've had a few MRIs, maybe 12 or so, actually I've quit counting so I'm not sure! I have a brain malformation called Chiari Malformation 1, which showed up on the MRI. They were checking to see if I'd had a stroke when it was the malformation causing all my problems!
I've lost my link, but there was a small study done dealing with Chiari that ended up showing a higher percentage of autism in the Chiari population than the general population. But it was a very small study and no one has shown a link between the two.
But I'd like to know, since I have an ASD child who never has had an MRI. Could he also have Chiari?

About the tonsil and adenoid removal helping, I wonder if the kids were suffering from sleep apnea, and the surgery cured it? Only reason I could think of!

My dh and mil were just discussing my ds at easter dinner and the only "evaluation" that hasn't been done is an MRI of hte brain. I was just thinking-wondering "Would that show anything different". As you may recall from past posts ds has many diagnosis, including Mood Disorder, ADHD and PDD.

Secondly, I read in the Parade Magazine today that some kids with ADHD have had their tonsils and adneoids removed and it "cured" ADHD. Any thoughts ----No, I'm not thinking of doing it. Just wondering what others thought.

DD8 had her tonsils and adnoids removed in 2003. It helped reduce her strep and pneumonia occurrances:goodvibes , but did not help with adhd (or ocd, autism). We haven't done the MRI yet, but I did hear about it showing differences, between typical kids and atypical...

an MRI would show structural damage/irregularities and growths. My dd8 1/2 has had lots of MRI's. SHe has a cyst buried deep in her brain and it is at the outer limit of what they can allow to remain in that part of her brain -- so they do repeat MRI's to check for growth of the cyst.

For ADHD, ASD, etc, I cannot imagine what an MRI would possibly show. Those are thought to be more chemical/organic than structural.

Beth

Not sure about the MRI...

We had a Topometric Brain scan done of our ds12 a couple years back and then we had him in bio-feedback for a while. (Ds is an apserger's kid and after a second neuropsychologist testing, was also diagnosed with learning disabilities)

We had the brain scan done down in CT (near Mystic) and the neuropsych testing done in Mansfield, MA. Both helped us A LOT in getting ds the help he needed.

Jill

an MRI would show structural damage/irregularities and growths. My dd8 1/2 has had lots of MRI's. SHe has a cyst buried deep in her brain and it is at the outer limit of what they can allow to remain in that part of her brain -- so they do repeat MRI's to check for growth of the cyst.

For ADHD, ASD, etc, I cannot imagine what an MRI would possibly show. Those are thought to be more chemical/organic than structural.

Beth

This sounds like the exactly same thing my DS10 has. It was called a dermal cyst and it went into his brain and wrapped around the stem of the brain. He had his first MRI around six months of age. He had neurosurgery at 7 months old to remove it. This followed with MRI every year for five years. And then his doctor said we could just follow-up with a MRI every five years or so to make sure it does not grow back. So, he will have another one this summer.

If your doctor is recommending an MRI and your insurance will cover it, I would do it. It is non-invasive and painless.

It may show nothing. But it may also show something that is treatable or, least, lead to a diagnosis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter