Do you trust Magical Epress to deliver your luggage?

First trip, did you land at 9:30, or did you arrive at the resort at 9:30? Luggage is typically delivered within three hours of arrival at your resort. If you landed at 9:30, you probably got to AoA around 10:30-11, which makes a 2 AM luggage delivery on point. Items needed for the first 24 hours at a destination (even home, as Transportation Moderator goofy4tink can relate) should always be carried in the cabin with you. transportation

Now, if you were at the resort at 9:30, yes, that's a problem.

Ditto for your second experience. Landing at 7 puts you at the resort 9-9:30. Eleven fifteen-ish luggage delivery is well within the three hours.
1st trip landed at 9:30p, so you're right about the resort arrival (it was around 10:45p). Being my first attempt at using MDE, I didn't realize it would actually take that long, hence my frustration.

On the 2nd trip, I think the time was cutting it, which might be why the delivery guy brought our luggage right away when I called (he asked what time we landed).

When we fly, we're already carrying a laptop and electronics in a carryon and then snacks and word search books in another bag. We don't have room for an entire day of clothes and nighttime supplies in yet another carryon, so I don't think I'll use MDE for luggage in the future unless it's an early am arrival. Not having our luggage delivered in a reasonable amount of time isn't exactly a feature in my book.

We do one of two things, land really late after it's running or really early. Usually really early, like 8-9 am. We always head off to the parks for the day. By the time we are ready to head to our room we have had bags sitting at the resort for hours. To me, it's more than a reasonable amount of time.

I guess I don't understand why folks complain about how long it takes for a service Disney is providing as a courtesy, for free. Yeah, it takes them some time to gather everything, sort it and then distribute it. It's still very nice they offer to do it so folks can head off to start their vacations instead of claiming bags and dragging them thru the airport, along with the kids, who are likely cranky from travel, and all their stuff.

Not packing a change of clothes in your carry-on is a great way to have one outfit for your first day at Disney. DGD and I had a suitcase not arrive till the next day on our late flight last May. I had to claim the bags on that one so I know. Luckily we had clothes in our carry-on bag. Our missing bag came in on the next flight. We pack one coming and going. We even had a flight delay on a deporting flight after we'd sent everything on with RAC. Going home you think you won't need a change, you have clothes at home if a bag goes missing. But we were left with nothing for a sudden extra night. So now, a spare each way.

Don’t really see the relevance of this response. If you stay offsite, then you aren’t using Disney’s Magical Express are you?

Admittedly, my reading comprehension on the original post combined with my distraction while replying to other threads resulted in an irrelevant response on my part.

A better response from me: Do I trust Magical Express? No, because I don't consider it a perk to have someone else handle my luggage, despite their fairly awesome (presumably) track record.

We also use DME for our luggage. IMO, that is one of the best parts of DME, not having to deal with the bags. We just bring everything we will need for the first day in our carryons. We have never had an issue. We have probably used this service at least 15 times.

As others have said, I trust DME more than the airlines. I have had bags lost twice by the airlines.

We even had a flight delay on a deporting flight after we'd sent everything on with RAC. Going home you think you won't need a change, you have clothes at home if a bag goes missing. But we were left with nothing for a sudden extra night. So now, a spare each way.

Not Disney related, but might go with this discussion.

Finished a Royal cruise, got to the airport. Moved things around so our carryons were the lightest they could be. Including toothbrushes. And clothes. This is when we had status with United and got up to three 75lb checked bags each so we weren’t worried about overloading the bags.

Checked the bags. Went to gate. They announced an oversold situation.

Oh have I mentioned that it was super bowl Sunday with the Seahawks? And the flight was going to be exactly during the game time (with a cruel layover in Newark just before the game started). Husband RAN to secure our spots.

So we got a hotel, food, and flights the following morning. And a total of $1200 in vouchers. (They first offered 300 each then raised it to 400 each after we had volunteered because they needed 9 seats which is a lot, and they gave us the higher amount)

But they couldn’t get our bags to us.

Guess who spent her day at Epcot (while the family watched the Seahawks win on the big screen at the doubletree) then went to Target to get toothbrushes toothpaste underwear etc that night???

Not fun.

Well, it’s ok to trust your luggage with DME unless, of course, they mistakenly deliver it to the wrong room where the man in that wrong room is so upset over a broken toothbrush that he holds your luggage hostage until police are called. Um, true story!

Last edited:

Well, it’s ok to trust your luggage with DME unless, of course, they mistakenly deliver it to the wrong room where the man in that wrong room is so upset over a broken toothbrush that he holds your luggage hostage until police are called. Um, true story!
But,for every one of those,there are thousands and thousands and thousands of "successful" deliveries-for the convenience,I am willing to play the odds.:)

Yeah, our carry on now holds an overnight kit with necessary toiletries and clothes. Both items we never worried about when heading home since we have all that at home. But if you check everything then find out your flight home leaves you in Orlando an extra day, you learn.
Not Disney related, but might go with this discussion.

Finished a Royal cruise, got to the airport. Moved things around so our carryons were the lightest they could be. Including toothbrushes. And clothes. This is when we had status with United and got up to three 75lb checked bags each so we weren’t worried about overloading the bags.

Checked the bags. Went to gate. They announced an oversold situation.

Oh have I mentioned that it was super bowl Sunday with the Seahawks? And the flight was going to be exactly during the game time (with a cruel layover in Newark just before the game started). Husband RAN to secure our spots.

So we got a hotel, food, and flights the following morning. And a total of $1200 in vouchers. (They first offered 300 each then raised it to 400 each after we had volunteered because they needed 9 seats which is a lot, and they gave us the higher amount)

But they couldn’t get our bags to us.

Guess who spent her day at Epcot (while the family watched the Seahawks win on the big screen at the doubletree) then went to Target to get toothbrushes toothpaste underwear etc that night???

Not fun.

I am a newbie, but I used DME to deliver my luggage last April and it arrived at my resort with no issues at all! It was super fast too. :)

When we fly, we're already carrying a laptop and electronics in a carryon and then snacks and word search books in another bag.
Are you talking about your 45 linear inch carry on, or you under-seat personal item? Do you fly one of the ultra low cost airlines?
A better response from me: Do I trust Magical Express? No, because I don't consider it a perk to have someone else handle my luggage, despite their fairly awesome (presumably) track record.
But you let the airline handle it?

He blamed DME? Interesting.

He blamed DME? Interesting.
I "think" he is saying that the delivery to the room after DME drops the luggage off at the Resort is "part" of the DME "process" and had he picked up his luggage at the luggage carousel at OIA and transported them to his Resort room himself,he would not have had the "DME" issue.

Are you talking about your 45 linear inch carry on, or you under-seat personal item? Do you fly one of the ultra low cost airlines?

But you let the airline handle it?
I mentioned previously that we only carry on, and the extent of their handling is limited to gate checking a stroller and or car seat, so yes and no.

I mentioned previously that we only carry on, and the extent of their handling is limited to gate checking a stroller and or car seat, so yes and no.
To add, we usually fly a budget airline. Wife and I both fly for work and don’t see a meaningful difference between airlines, so always go for cheapest direct nonstopq

If we're checking bags, we're usually not bringing a roller bag onboard as well. I try to pack as much as possible into our checked bags, and just keep the things in carryons that either must be with us or would strongly prefer they not be in checked bags (electronics, things to entertain or snack during the flight). We don't do the ultra low cost airlines.

I think my issue with MDE and luggage delivery is more of a PM arrival thing. If we arrived in the early or mid AM, I'm sure we'd be fine. But when you arrive in the PM, and you need your things to get ready for bed & ensure your clothes for the next day are available before bedtime, having your bags arrive sooner than later is kind of important.

The first use of MDE was kind of a wake-up call; personally I think Disney should stress a bit more on the info that you most likely will NOT get your luggage before midnight if you arrive past a certain time. I know they mention it can take a few hours; I'd suggest they change 'could' to 'likely'.

Disney doesn't say 'could' or 'likely'. They say 'may' because it may. It may also arrive ten minutes or a hour after the visitor arrives at the resort. It's likely that checked luggage will arrive at some point within 180 minutes following resort arrival.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/magical-express/ "Be sure to keep any medications, essential items, and valuables with you. Bypass baggage claim in the main terminal and proceed directly to Disney's Magical Express located on Side B, Level 1. Be prepared to provide your airline baggage claim numbers so Disney can collect your luggage and deliver it directly to your Resort hotel.

Be advised, your luggage will travel separately from you and may take up to 3 hours after you arrive at your hotel to be delivered to your room."

1st trip landed at 9:30p, so you're right about the resort arrival (it was around 10:45p). Being my first attempt at using MDE, I didn't realize it would actually take that long, hence my frustration.

On the 2nd trip, I think the time was cutting it, which might be why the delivery guy brought our luggage right away when I called (he asked what time we landed).

When we fly, we're already carrying a laptop and electronics in a carryon and then snacks and word search books in another bag. We don't have room for an entire day of clothes and nighttime supplies in yet another carryon, so I don't think I'll use MDE for luggage in the future unless it's an early am arrival. Not having our luggage delivered in a reasonable amount of time isn't exactly a feature in my book.

I used to not take clothes etc in my carryon, until I went to a work conference, so no car and my luggage got lost for two days and I had to wear. Brittany Spears shirt and jeans at the conference the next morning. Lesson learned. Now I always pack a change of clothes.

We have had no issues with ME and luggage in 10 plus trips but we always arrive before 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter