Do you think staying off property would ruin the experience?

jacs1234

Dreaming of Disney
We are going to DW in December 2018 for an 18 day stay and 4 days at Universal. We are a group of 10 (2 families) with 6 children aged 18 to 12. Staying off property will save us ALOT of money. We found some suitable house about 12 miles out.
What do you think the pros of cons are?

My major con is that the older kids won't be able to just leave the park and go to the room when they want. If they want to get back to the house we'll have to drive them and my 18 year old doesn't have much stamina, he's a bit of a party pooper actually lol

My mums con is that she won't be able to get parcels sent to her room

my Pros are money saving, at least $4000 per family, a laundry

I love to be in the WDW bubble and stay onsite when we visit, but I don't think I could stay 18 days in a hotel room.
How old are the older kids? I'd tell them to uber back to the house.

For that long, I'd stay offsite in a larger space like a house. You'll save a lot of money, you can eat some home cooked meals (I'd be sick of eating out for that long), and everyone will have more space...18 days in a hotel with that many people would be way too much togetherness for my family.

As to your concerns: the 18 year old could take Lyft or Uber back to the house if he needed to. Or you could all just go at an easier pace considering the length of time you have. And Mom can get her packages sent to the front of the park and pick them up as you exit at the end of the day rather than having things sent to the resort.

I am a die hard on property person. On property all the time, every time.

And even I think you should stay off property.

That long? You will want more space. And saving $4,000? No question.

No, you can't have packages sent to your room. But you can send them the front of the park. That way you don't have to carry them around.

Uber can be great to transport if someone wants to leave early. Personally, I would limit how many times my child could use it, but a few times would be worth it.

I'm just curious how many park days you are doing over those 18 days? Are you going between Christmas and New Year's? If so, those 12 miles are going to get very long as the traffic is horrific over the holiday week. Have you considered splitting any of those days up and perhaps spending some time onsite (and do your park touring then) and then some time offsite to do other things off-property?

It's a very subjective question. MaryLovesPoohBear is a die hard on property person, and that's what works for her. We're die hard off property people. In total honesty, staying on property would probably ruin our experience. We have no desire to do it. I understand why people do it, but it's not for us.

Yes, the pros are having your own laundry (especially for a long trip), having a full kitchen, a family room, separate bedrooms, several bathrooms, being much easier to see/do things off site....there are SO many restaurants, shops, etc..., and mostly saving a TON of money. Staying on site would be a disaster for us.

Our summer trips are always 17 days long. We couldn't even fathom staying on site. We love to have a "home away from home" to go back to and relax, spread out, eat a meal as a family, save money, etc... Are you really planning on having THAT many packages? As noted, you can have them kept at the front of the park waiting for you.

$4000.00 is a HUGE savings....but if you don't travel to WDW often it may be worth the extra money with the ages of your kids. Have you tried renting points for a stay at an onsite resort, it may save you a little. Happy planning.

I love being on property; but like others said, that is a long time to stay in a hotel and that is a huge price difference.

Our longest trip was 10 days and with just the three of us (me and 2 children), I was about at my limit. I missed having a simple couch or soft chair to sit on at the end of the day.

The thing I love the most though is not having to drive anywhere during the vacation. Being a solo parent, if anyone goes anywhere I have to drive and I of course drive to work. It's so nice to put the keys away and let someone else do it. But I'm figuring you have plenty of adults. We also though don't really get to do anything else while we are there. With that many days I'm guessing you will be doing things besides Disney.

Only thing is 12 miles seems to be a bit far if Disney is the focus of your trip. One year I was looking at planning a trip for extended family in a large rental. I wouldn't look any further than say 5 miles if Disney is the focus of the trip. Unless your plans are set in stone which I wouldn't think they would be at 15 months out, you might want to see if you can get something closer.

Have you tried pricing something that's more of a compromise? I'm not against staying offsite, but 12 miles is really far. Have you tried pricing homes and timeshares closer to the parks. We really like staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. I've only stayed there as a timeshare trade, so I don't have any insight into renting from an owner, but there is info on these boards from others who have done it.

No. I've done both and love both. Stay off-site has never ruined anything for us. Both types of vacations are great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter