Do you think it's fair...

Tuffcookie

Enjoys an early hour of peace. Is a smart cookie.
for Disney to charge extra when you request to stay in the Calypso bldgs, closest buildings to the food courts/main lobby, at the All Star Music? I went last year and didn't pay an extra charge and now I hear they've started charging.

TC:cool:

I suppose since they don't have *views* they justify this.
When we were at ASMo, we stayed in the Woody building. If it was closer than the Fantasia section, it couldn't have been by much. Not enough I doubt anyone would notice.
Just MHO, since they do this at the All Stars, they should give some other minor perk along with it. I don't see that the extra cost is justified. But that just me.

I also don't see the point, at least at ASMo. In my opinion, the Toy Story and Dalmatian buildings are just as close and you don't have to deal with the noise from the pool. I don't think I would pay the extra $$.

They used to charge more for all the buildings if you had a "landscape" view rather than a parking lot view. Whether or not it's "fair" isn't the point. If people are willing to pay more for the convenience of the Calypso buildings, then Disney is pretty smart to charge for it.

I would assume that so people were requesting those buildings they know they can gouge us for the extra $10/night and call it a preferred building. Also, everyone wants to be closest to the Food Court/Bus stop because we all know how far that last building looks at the end of our hot, humid, long lines, very tiring day right?

I dont know how this would work out, but I think they would be better off charging extra to guarantee a certain building, whatever one the guest wants. For example, Fantasia is the "preferred" building and costs more. Its definitely not my preference, even before the price increase. I have requested Mighty Ducks. Disney would make out better by charging me extra to guarantee me a MD room. I would probably pay it to get what I want. Im sure many other people would pay extra to guarantee their "request" too. Not everybody wants Fantasia(or the other preferred buildings in other All Stars).

Call me a cold hearted capitalist but....

Disney charges different prices for different items. The value of these items is determined by the price people are willing to pay for them and by the cost of producing them. Does a room with a view of water cost Disney more than a room with a view of a parking lot? Not really, but they charge more for one than the other. Why? Because some people are willing to pay more to look out at a pool, river, or lake than at asphalt.

If Disney feels that some rooms are more valuable to customers due to location (and location is the first rule of real estate), then they will charge more for those rooms as long as there are people willing to pay for it. I'd bet that Disney has noticed the pattern of room requests, and is adjusting prices based on popularity.

I think Disney is trying to cut down on the number of requests for the buildings that seem closest to the bus stop/food court. We've stayed at the Movies twice now; in 2000, we had Love Bug and last year we had 101 Dalmations. I really didn't find Love Bug and/or 101 Dalmations to be that much further of a walk - I don't think it is worth the extra $10 per night to have Fantasia. The resort is wonderful - and I didn't think it was that spread out.

Let's face it.....fair or not....we are willing to pay these prices for what we want for a Disney hotel experience...at least I am. So if cheapo me will do it....so will others. It's called consumer demand.

I can definitely see why someone would pay more for a room with a good location. On our last trip we stayed in the Herby the Love Bug building at ASMo. We had to have one of the furthest rooms away from everything overlooking the back parking lot. It poured all day everyday and we had 2 strollers to run with through the rain. From the busses that was very far. I would have gladly paid a few extra bucks to not go through that again.

What ToTLaugher said. :D

We pay WAY more for Beach Club, and for us, it's all about the location.

You are right Mickey.....it's all about location. We pay extra for the Deluxe pampering too. When we stayed at All Star Music in CountryFaire......we actually drove up to the front of the hotel a few times, parked, ate and then would catch the bus to a park. At the end of our long day, just hopped off the bus and into our car and DROVE back to our room. ....sometimes lazy works!:D

You know Disney did not charge more for these buildings until so many people started to request these buildings as the ones the would "prefer" to stay in.

Any business keeps track of what product they sell has the biggest demand and then charges the most for that product.

I agree, Disney is charging what the market will bear for those rooms. I had seen many times on the Dis as certain buildings being the one people should request. So Disney realized that people would probably be willing to pay a little extra to be guaranteed that building. And by charging, Disney is able to cut down on the number of people who end up unhappy because they didn't get their preference. Now they know up front they need to pay for that building.

It is a simple matter of supply and demand... if guests are requesting to stay in certain buildings more than others, it stands to reason that these rooms must be "preferred" over some others, for one reason, or another. Since this is the case, and not everyone can stay in those buildings, they charge an extra $10 a night to those who really want to stay there, and those guests will willingly pay the extra. Makes perfect sense, and as long as there are people out there willing to do so, then by all means, Disney is being very business savvy by taking advantage of it. Really it is no different than wanting a room with a pool or water view at one of the mods or deluxes...it is all in what the guest wants and how much they are willing to pay.

IMO- if they are going to charge more due to location then they need to charge less for the buildings in the back 40! I was also upset when I called to make a ressie for my mother and my 80 year old aunt. I wanted POR and that wasn't avail- the only thin available for the nights that they need were Boardwalk (way to much- $700 for 4 nights) and ASMusic. I knew that they would not want to pay for BW but ASMu isn't their cup of tea either. It really irked me that I would have to pay $10 extra per night (almost the same cost as POR).

We were in the Western bldg one time and that is just an extremely long walk for anyone esp. 2 elderly women. BTW- the only reason they are going to WDW is for the FLower show at Epcot!

Well, IMHO a value resort, is a value resort, is a value resort. It's not like there is a lagoon view or concierge offered. If you "request" Calypso Bldg. and it's available for the date and time you're making the request then you shouldn't be charged extra for it. Just imagine if you made ressies for ASMu, and say you requested the Jazz Bldg, and they told you all buildings were filled except the Calypso. I guess you would be offered an"upgrade" to Calypso then and not be charged extra.

TC :cool:

The thing is that there are so many people out there that just call for reservations with no codes and no discounts. When they book the Allstars they are not usually aware of the preferred buildings and probably end up getting put in that building if that is what is available upon check-in. I have been upgraded so many times and didn't even know it at the Deluxes until I found this website. What goes around comes around I guess...:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter