Do you rake leaves in the fall?

Yes! We have 7 maple trees and a large locust tree in our yard. We have a corner lot which makes it worse. We collect probably 70 bags of leaves every season. Our city takes them and composts them. Supposedly.

You guys clearly don't have as many leaves as we do. Just mowing them would probably kill our mower. We were going to rake this weekend but the rain ruined that. Soon. Not an inch of grass is showing. It's very deep in spots. And many leaves still need to fall. But dang, it's a gorgeous street to live on!

This was a week ago at a spot at the end of our block. So not our yard, but the amount of leaves on the ground is similar in our yard.

Fall 2018 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I have 2 acres, about half of it wooded. We get a good amount of leaves. We go out a few times a week and run them down with the riding mower with a mulching blade. It's not too much for the mower as long as I stay on top of it. I only rake in the garden bed.

The last place we lived, in a village, had curb service for the leaves but here in a more rural town we would have to bag them... I prefer chopping them into tiny bits and blowing the rest into the woods, lol.

Yes, but unfortunately, this week I didn't have time and now there's an inch of snow on top of all of it. :headache:

Our city does leaf pickups a couple times during the fall where if we get them to the curb, they come by with a big vacuum thing that sucks them all up. In the back yard, though, I often just blow or haul them back to the woods behind the house. Whatever is left, I pick up when I do my final lawn mowing for the season.

We usually rake once near the end of the "leaf falling" season. We should probably do it this week. Then we put them in our compost heap.

I cut down all the trees in my yard so no leaves fall in there anymore- sometimes some of the neighbors leaves will blow onto my front lawn but not enough to have to rake in the fall. My landscapers come in late march early april and do an entire yard clean up so if any are left they will take care of them.

Not really. We live in a woodsy setting surrounded by oak trees whose leaves don't fall until late November. Maybe they'll get mowed a little, but for the most part it's leaf blower at some point and the rest get buried in the snow. Needless to say, we don't have the prettiest grass.

If the leaves fall before the first snowfall I'll rake them. Most of the leaves are still on our trees at this point.

I do now. I have too or I'd be getting phone calls.

When I was out in the country, the final few mowings took care of the leaves. Didn't have many to begin with.

The yard is too small now for a rider and I'm not spending $2 grand on something just to use once or twice in the fall. I use a leaf blower, then suck them up into the leaf blower to mulch them, load it into bags, then load all the bags into my hatchback to take them where we're suppose to dump them. 2 biggest problems is loading freakin leaves into my car as it's a hatchback and taking my car, just regular old car, onto the muddy trail to get back to the leaf dump point.

Haven't touched a leaf yet this year because of either rain or had other things to do on the only weekend we haven't had rain. Good thing is, the trees are bare so I'll only be doing cleanup once this year, which will happen tomorrow.

We rake. We spent about 2 1/2 hours yesterday. We have a pretty big yard with lots of trees. Still so many leaves on the trees. We blew most of the leaves together with a combination of raking and then we vacuumed them up. Our garbage collection won't take yard waste so normally we haul bags and bags to the landfill. Now this year they won't accept lawn and leaf bags. You either have to buy special bags that cost a lot more money or bring your leaves in a bag and then empty them when you get there. Fun times!

No to raking up the leaves.We leave them over the winter,then the lawn service does spring cleanup.We do get rid of the leaves on the driveway,however.

Nope. I live in a rural area and the leaves end up blowing on down to the small swamp up the street. What remains gets mowed over and mulched in the Spring. I have to rake a few here and there away from the pole barn and the shed, but usually, our Fall and Spring windstorms take care of it.

We don't have trees but we definitely rake up all the neighbors leaves that blow into our property. Most of our neighbors clean up their property but then there are others that don't bother or don't care to rake their leaves. We never blow into the street because it clogs up the street drains and when the snow and ice melts it backs up the flow.

Last edited:
I just read this article. I love having birds and animals around our property. We have a 1/2 acre lot and usually leave some leaves around, but my husband does a few leaf clean ups with a blower throughout the fall. I've talked to him about leaving some more leaves around and next year, I'm not going to cut down all my seed pods. I didn't realize the birds would eat them.

https://www.audubon.org/news/to-help-birds-winter-go-easy-fall-yard-work

I just wait until our trees have dumped all their leaves and do my last mow then. That's usually in mid-November. But we have a postage stamp-sized yard and our trees aren't mature, so it's not a lot of leaves.

At our previous house we had several mature oaks and we had to blow/rake. We ended up with about 30 bags' worth.

In some neighborhoods all they have to do is get the leaves to the road in front of their houses and they have a big truck come by and suck them all up. That would be awesome.

We have about a half to 3/4 acre yard. DH mows 2 or 3 times each fall and blows the leaves towards our perimeter. We have 11 acres and the rest of it is wooded so we’re not blowing yard leaves to other yards. And no houses close to our wooded areas.

in North Dakota all we had to do was rake them to the curb and the city would come by and suck them up with a big vac. Now in North Carolina we don't have any more trees since Hurricane Florence all 4 of them came down. The city came by and picked them up. Now we have not more leaves to worry about.

Nope not in years. Dh will get them with the mower once or twice in the season. Other than that I love seeing the leaves on the ground. Just the look of fall to me. Of course we don’t have a lot of snow and if we do get any, dh will have gotten them one last time with the mower.

We have a lot of leaves, DH uses a blower to make a pile and we drag them on a tarp to a compost pile in the back. Worse than leaves are the white pine needles which totally cover parts of the lawn and have to be raked (blower doesn't work on them) before the grass can be mowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!