• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DO you HAVE to make ADR's for slower times?

milmore104

Mommy to 3 Disney Princesses
We normally go to WDW during Free dining so I know ADR's are a MUST. However this year we are going the first week in Dec. I know it's a slower time so I was wondering if making all our ADR's are a MUST? Can we leave some up in the air for last minute booking or walk ins? TIA

First week in December isn't exactly that slow a time anymore. You can try, but if there's anywhere you really want to eat you should make a reservation. If you're on a dining plan you should probably consider reservations for everything.

You should also note that last year the first week of December WAS free dining.

We've gone twice during the first week of Dec -- in 2008 and 2007. While the term "slow" is certainly relative to other times of the year, it was not what I would call a slow time. From what we saw/overheard, there were not walk-ups available at the majority TS restaurants where we ate, with the exceptions being breakfast at the resort hotel TS places (non-character).

The other thing that you really need to keep in mind is that even if there is NOT free dining during that period this year, the popularity of dining plans has had a huge impact on TS restaurants (since the dining plans are use-it-or-lose-it propositions). It just doesn't make sense (IMHO) to go down without ADRs for, at the very least, the places you really want to eat (OR for times when you know you need to eat a meal at a particular time).

We went the week after marathon weekend which is supposed to be one of the slowest times. We didnt wait more than 5 mins for any ride. Every restaurant we were at was booked when people walked up asking for availability. Better safe than sorry I think, I would go ahead and book your favorites.

Yes, you will definitely need ADR's for that week. We have gone many times in early December and we have always made and have always needed ADR's.

We normally go to WDW during Free dining so I know ADR's are a MUST. However this year we are going the first week in Dec. I know it's a slower time so I was wondering if making all our ADR's are a MUST? Can we leave some up in the air for last minute booking or walk ins? TIA

December is a busy time. ADRs are required imo.

What happened that the first week in Dec is now a busy time? I always thought it was a slower and more festive time to visit. I was originally hoping to go in the begining of Nov but some of the resorts I was looking at were getting full. Only the upgraded rooms were avalible. How busy is the first week in Dec.?

Last year we went the 1st week in Sept before Labor Day-the parks were so empty but the restaurants were packed-very busy with free dining.

What happened that the first week in Dec is now a busy time? I always thought it was a slower and more festive time to visit. I was originally hoping to go in the begining of Nov but some of the resorts I was looking at were getting full. Only the upgraded rooms were avalible. How busy is the first week in Dec.?

Advertising! Disney over the past 3 or so years has done a fantastic job of advertising that the first couple of weeks of December as being low crowd. In doing so, what was once a low crowd, pretty great weather, and holiday pixie dusted time to go has turned into a more regular crowd time. It takes planning to go, winging it just doesn't fly well. We were there last year and have been in previous years too and last year was by far the most crowded that I had seen it. It was still a great vacation, but it wasn't a vacation where everything was a walk on either.

Advertising! Disney over the past 3 or so years has done a fantastic job of advertising that the first couple of weeks of December as being low crowd. In doing so, what was once a low crowd, pretty great weather, and holiday pixie dusted time to go has turned into a more regular crowd time. It takes planning to go, winging it just doesn't fly well. We were there last year and have been in previous years too and last year was by far the most crowded that I had seen it. It was still a great vacation, but it wasn't a vacation where everything was a walk on either.

This is what we ended up w/ this past Oct. We have been traveling to WDW the first week in Oct for 9 years now. Of course the year we invite our families it was so HOT and crowded. I couldn't believe it. Usually we waited no more than 10-15 min. This year we waited 45 min for Living w/ the Land. I really hope our Dec. trip doesn't turn out this way. I don't mind waiting but not to long w/ 3 kids!

It's also a period during which points for usage are the lowest for DVC. So between being "cheaper" and being able to see the Christmas decorations, a lot of us like to go then.

It's also a period during which points for usage are the lowest for DVC. So between being "cheaper" and being able to see the Christmas decorations, a lot of us like to go then.

Agreed!

I went this past December and will never go during that timeframe again. I generally go late April/early May, late January, and late October. Early December was so crowded and so packed it was the one trip I couldn't wait to end and go home. Never, ever again for us. Yes, OP, you will need ADRs and you will need to make them at the 180 day mark. The first weekend of December is the holiday parade taping and later in the week the pop warner crowds start to come in and it affects the second weekend. Just way to crazy busy for us.

Yes, It is a absoloute must.

ADRs are a must in the following situations:
1. There are restaurants you MUST eat at
2. You are a picky eater and won't eat just anywhere
3. You want all your meals to be at normal meal times, esp. dinner
4. You want to be sure to eat *IN* MK, AK, or the Studios [Epcot nearly always has availability *somewhere*, usually Nine Dragons]
5. You're going at a peak time
6. You have strict touring plans that require meals be eaten at a certain time

Or in other words, *if* you're willing to eat absolutely anywhere and at off times and to have most of your TS meals be lunches and willing to leave the parks to eat at a resort ... then no, you don't need ADRs.

That's not a recommendation that you not make them; I've definitely made mine for May! But if you are extremely flexible and like all kinds of food and don't mind eating early or late and leaving the parks to do so, then you'll probably be able to either get seated as a walkup or call in the morning for reservations for that afternoon/night.

Ok now I want to change our dates. I really don't want it to be super crowded. Should I move it a week? Maybe 12/10-12/19? TIA

The closer to Christmas week, the busier the parks are, IMO.
If you really want a slower time, go after January 3.

Ok now I want to change our dates. I really don't want it to be super crowded. Should I move it a week? Maybe 12/10-12/19? TIA

The "secret sweet week" in December is from 12/12 to 12/18. Because of the advertised "first two weeks of December is low crowd" thing, this week is overlooked by most people and it has been the lowest crowd week in December in our experience over the past few years. Friday the 17th, the crowd increase will be noticable, but not too much to make it uncomfortable. Saturday the 18th, will be very busy.

Before they announced the Summer Nightastic promotion, we had plans to go from 12/09 to 12/17. My partner has family in Florida and we had no intentions of going to a park on Saturday the 11th, because we know that it will be bad, we experienced just how bad this past year and all I can say is "NEVER AGAIN!"

I hope this helps. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter