Do you feel more comfortable around people whose kids have disabilities or issues?

My2CrazyGirls

DIS Veteran
I feel so much more comfortable around people who have children with disabilities, health issues etc. And I have little desire to make friends with people who have "typical" kids. Does anyone else feel this way?

My 8 year old daughter has Asperger's and my 6 year old daughter was born with severe health issues (lung surgery, diaphragm repair, heart surgery, g-tube placement etc.). I find I have so much more in common with others who have children with issues, even if the issues are nothing like what my kids have.

I have one "normal" child and one with ASD. I find it's easy to talk to other parents with special needs kids, as we can speak in a kind of shorthand.

However, I push our ASD kiddo all the time. And part of the way I push her, is to be around "normal" kids. If she had her preference, she'd never leave her room. But that won't help her become as independent as possible as an adult. When I'm having a bad day, I freely admit, it's easier to be around other parents who know that feeling. But when I'm strong, I push dd to be as "normal" as possible.

I do understand what you're saying, and have no idea how impacted your child is. Therefore, I trust that you are doing best for your child, and do understand how it feels familiar to be around others on the same path.:thumbsup2
""

I have one "normal" child and one with ASD.
""

Yikes, don't say your child is not "normal." That phrasing saddens me.

Maybe you misunderstood though. I didn't say I sheltered my children, I said I prefer to be friends with parents of kids who have various issues like autism, health issues, special needs etc. My children are in regular classes with "typically developing peers" and they are pretty much typical as well. Asperger's kids may have some issues but overall I consider my daughter more typical then special needs. And my daughter with health issues is doing great now but has come such a long way (and I worry about her extra). I relate better with parent's who have been through the IEP meetings, NICU stays, having to go to therapies instead of sports etc. The concerns I have for my children seem so much greater than the totally typical healthy kids with absolutely no issues....which is why I relate to people who can relate to me. Does that make sense?

It depends on the parents. But I understand what you are saying. I have been around plenty of people who seem to have a more "cookie cutter" life, and they often don't get why we don't. I sometimes feel like they are judging my family, as though we must have done something wrong to end up with kids with health problems. Families who have kiddos with special needs just seem to be less judgmental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!