Do you ever feel disadvantaged being a UK DVC'er

I'm not from the OK, but I thought this post from drusba, one of our frequent DIS DVC posters, would be helpful to those of you trying to book using the 7 month window:

Any resource to see historical availability for days 7/11 months out

In my experience, that post is a great summary and very accurate. Briefly, To get one of the near park resorts at 7 months during a high-demand DVC time (which is NOT always the same as busy times for the parks), you need to book online as soon as your window opens at 8 AM Eastern.

.....(snip).........One example I would like to give which has prompted this post is that my DD who has just become a member at GF was unable to get a clear week for the 20 Nov 2015 with a Lake view as Saturday has already gone allowing only six days at the resort (Fr, Su, Mo, Tu, We, Th) and this is with the 11 month window

Tell your DD to call her sales guide and ask for help with her first reservation. That's a courtesy that should be offered to her as a direct buyer.

The VGF is very popular, quite small and your DD's vacation includes part of the American Thanksgiving week. That's a popular time for DVC members to visit. Also, many members purchased fixed weeks for the VGF which further reduces the rooms available to those who purchased points.

If she booked right at 8 AM when the 11 month window opened, was she unable to get any two bedroom? I know the studios go very fast, but I would be surprised if she totally missed out on a two bedroom.

Again, I'm not from the UK, but I don't see how DVC favors U S citizens over foreign citizens. Of course there is the difference in time zones for booking and cost of airfare disadvantage, but those are what they are because of where we reside, not DVC.

Last edited:
We have owned since 1995 and I have never had problems getting a wide choice of resorts at 7 months. Our home resort is OKW for the simple reason it was the only resort in DVC when we purchased DVC. We usually travel May, September, October, December. This year we have 3 days beach cottage VB and 11 nights treehouse villa SSR but in previous visits have stayed at BCV, AKL Kidani, BWV and others. I

The problem we had was that we discovered almost too late that our bonus 100 points expire next September and it was a case of 'use it or lose it'. As DD wanted another holiday - we can't go in 2016 a we have too many big family events and can't afford to go at our usual time (February/March) as it's more expensive anyway - I decided to book a 'girls only' trip for November, which is in next year's holiday entitlement for work. So began the search for accommodation.

Needless to say, the only places left were a studio at AKL or BCV which would have meant losing 30 points anyway as it was 69 points, or OKW. So, I booked OKW as a 'holding' measure just in case OH wanted to come with, and we have now waitlisted GFL which is our home resort. As we only need a studio, I'd far rather go to GF as it'll probably be the only time we'll ever be able to stay there as we'll need a one-bed if OH comes too, and that's 3 years' points!

I can honestly say I don't feel disadvantaged as a UK owner when it comes to booking. Maybe when it comes to not getting the same perks, such as the bonus for introducing new members (we have introduced 3 people who have ultimately bought in). But not as far as booking is concerned. At the end of the day, a US resident wanting to book checking in on 20 November for 3 days has no advantage over a UK owner wanting to check in on 20 November for a week. Both can reserve at the same time.

Exactly this, I've owned since 2002 and have never felt disadvantaged from the point of booking, the only times I've not got what I'd hoped to is when I've not been on the ball enough and have missed the start of the booking window opening for popular choices - standard view at BLT, concierge at AKL although these most likely went at 11 months anyway.

Definitely feel at a disadvantage when it comes to the new member intro bonuses, special events, being sent things, luggage tags, Magic bands being sent to us etc. etc.

Exactly this, I've owned since 2002 and have never felt disadvantaged from the point of booking, the only times I've not got what I'd hoped to is when I've not been on the ball enough and have missed the start of the booking window opening for popular choices - standard view at BLT, concierge at AKL although these most likely went at 11 months anyway.

Definitely feel at a disadvantage when it comes to the new member intro bonuses, special events, being sent things, luggage tags, Magic bands being sent to us etc. etc.

No referral bonuses any more, for anybody, so this no longer applies. I wish sometimes they would send us the cool things that the US people get, but not necessarily DVC - more the Castaway Club magnets from the cruises, etc.

We've had issues this year but we are going during Food and Wine. We booked one week at our home resort (BCV) at 11 months knowing that it was F&W so busy at the EPCOT resorts. But the intention was to move to Poly for 5 nights at 7 months and then make a 2 night cash booking elsewhere. However we couldn't do this at our 7 month window. We have ended up with a partial Poly booking. 1 night at BCV, 3 nights at Poly, and 1 night back at BCV. Obviously not ideal and we are keeping an eye on it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!