Do you all buy trip insurance?

Only once. A Disney Cruise.
Because:
1) It was far more expensive than any other cruise we had taken (by almost triple)
2) The trip was during a heavy holiday travel period (December 26 to January 3).
3) The trip was during the worst winter weather.

I always buy trip insurance when traveling outside the US. If an accident happens and you have to return to the US, medical repatriation costs are horrific.

If you are worried about the what ifs - and let's face it, they're always there - then definitely purchase a trip insurance plan. As another poster has said, read the fine print. Not all plans are equal. If you're primary concern is what if something awful happens to a family member while we're away, then double check to make sure that the policy covers that sort of thing.

But as far as trip insurance goes in general, look at all the things that can happen in a day, not just traveling, but at home. Most bad things don't pick your vacation to happen, but the odds say it's possible. I always assume that trip insurance is just part of the cost of travel.

For the cruises, I absolutely buy insurance, primarily to get overseas medical & evacuation coverage, & partly because it's an all-inclusive trip that was paid for in advance.

For WDW trips, I don't bother with insurance, mostly because for us these trips are less expensive than cruises. I book room only, buy tickets separately & pay for dining out of pocket, and usually fly SWA, so I'm really only out the cost of the first night's resort room rate if I were to have to cancel at the last minute.

Yet another reason why booking room-only beats booking a package...

This is the reason. If you have a medical emergency it will cost a fortune

This is the reason. If you have a medical emergency it will cost a fortune
It can cost a fortune, depending on your medical insurance. Always good to do a review of your insurance to see what is covered so you don't over insure, and what is not, so you buy the coverage you need.
Both my employer and my wife's include international coverage because at times some employees travel for business. The Group Insurance Rep at Open Enrollment meeting said the reality is, the cost of medical care outside the U.S. may actually cost them less than their negotiated rate within the U.S. So including international coverage could save the insurance company money if you need care overseas as opposed to at home!

I have never purchased it for myself because most things have always been refundable or able to be used at a later time. Getting sick on the trip wasn't ever a big concern of mine. Now that I have a child traveling with me, the illness is more of a concern but our current trip (first one with a kid) is booked using airline miles and DVC points both which I can't get reimbursed for by travel insurance and the park tickets can be used at a later time so nothing to cover there. Basically that means the only thing insurance is going to cover is medical and reimbursement if we have delays. For us, it wasn't worth the cost just for those things. I did however use travelguard.com for a trip my aunt took as she was battling stage 4 cancer. That company offered a waiver of pre-existing conditions if you purchased it when you booked the trip or within a few days of booking. It was also a good price. Cruises would be a definite reason to buy travel insurance in my opinion. I would also recommend checking with your credit card company to see if they offer any coverage.

It can cost a fortune, depending on your medical insurance. Always good to do a review of your insurance to see what is covered so you don't over insure, and what is not, so you buy the coverage you need.
Both my employer and my wife's include international coverage because at times some employees travel for business. The Group Insurance Rep at Open Enrollment meeting said the reality is, the cost of medical care outside the U.S. may actually cost them less than their negotiated rate within the U.S. So including international coverage could save the insurance company money if you need care overseas as opposed to at home!

Agreed on this one. Check your existing insurance. We called ours before our first international trip to see if we'd be covered in the event of an emergency. They told us - loose quote here - that we MIGHT be covered in certain circumstances which they failed to elaborate upon further questioning. All they would commit to was that we shouldn't use medical care abroad unless it's an absolute emergency. Duh.

That's another reason we purchase trip insurance. I have no faith in my health insurance after that call to do anything for me.

If I travel during hurricane season or have a trip that is non-refundable of sorts that I can't cancel close to the date then yes. I have taken a number of road trips and since most hotels have a 24 hour cancellation policy I don't bother. I do for WDW because we typically go during hurricane season and fly from NJ down to FL, so if a hurricane blows in anywhere on the east coast it can affect the vacation.

I also always check what is covered on CC cards first to decide if I need it as well. Making the decision to buy is one part common sense and one part risk taking lol.

I do because I reserve pretty far in advance. The insurance offered through WDW covers in case of job loss or illness. That is our biggest worry.

My coworker went to WDW last year and was stuck due to a snowstorm. No trip insurance and her DH needed to get back to work so they paid OOP to change flights since their airline couldn't get them on a plane for 3 days. They stayed an extra night, paid a LOT to change flights, plus food, etc. All OOP.

This year she got trip insurance (not through Disney) and was stuck during a storm. She was reimbursed for her flight change, hotel at Disney Springs and all food, down to bottled water. Around $1500 for the extra two days she stayed there.

In her case it worked out. We go during hurricane season so that's why we purchase insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!