Do we really need an underwater camera?

Osum

Mouseketeer
My family will be cruising on the Fantasy, and my husband/son are planning to do the Sea Trek helmet dive at St. Thomas.

Should we get an underwater camera? If so, can anyone recommend an inexpensive one that is good up to 20 feet underwater? I’m out of my depth (so to speak) when it comes to camera equipment.

I’ve read that the excursion staff will take photos and sell them to us on a usb drive. I’m just not sure how good the photos would be. My teenager is really looking forward to this experience, so I want to make sure he gets some good pics.

I’m hoping someone here has good experiences/advice for us!

I'm a scuba diver and I enjoy taking photos whenever I go diving. In your situation I wouldn't go out and purchase a new underwater camera that you plan on using once therefore I would recommend one of those disposable underwater camera. However if your family is planning on doing more active type activities maybe you might want to consider a GoPro camera or Olympus Tough camera which has many features. Good luck with your decision.

We went ahead and bought a $50 underwater camera for our cruise. It was also sand proof and generally indestructible, and does video, so we decided it could just be our 7-year old's official first camera. It worked wonderfully as far as family vacation photos go.

We went ahead and bought a $50 underwater camera for our cruise. It was also sand proof and generally indestructible, and does video, so we decided it could just be our 7-year old's official first camera. It worked wonderfully as far as family vacation photos go.
That sounds like a good idea. I might be interested in a camera like that. Do you still have the link where you got it? Or at least the brand/model? Thank you!

I'm a scuba diver and I enjoy taking photos whenever I go diving. In your situation I wouldn't go out and purchase a new underwater camera that you plan on using once therefore I would recommend one of those disposable underwater camera. However if your family is planning on doing more active type activities maybe you might want to consider a GoPro camera or Olympus Tough camera which has many features. Good luck with your decision.
Just make sure that they know what the depth is. Most disposable cameras are usually rated for 10-15 feet. Good recommendations otherwise!

Yes- great recommendations! We love the GoPro here. I take it snorkeling, we took it kayaking, fireworks etc. The lesser models are cheaper now. If you think you will vacation with it often, it is a great investment. We did disposable cameras once at a dolphin encounter. Fine for above water, won't trust it otherwise and the pictures are just so-so.

I did a snorkeling excursion on my first Disney cruise and bought a camera from Target. I haven't used it since, but plan to when I go snorkeling again. It's one that you plug in to charge so I'm sure it's fine to use after a few years of inactivity. It wasn't that expensive either, I think I went with whatever was cheapest in the store. I think maybe $100? I don't remember. You could always bring it into the pool we took some pictures on the ship pool. It took excellent pictures too.

Do you know the brand and version?

I would say there's never a NEED. It's up to you. I'm the person always taking extra photos, but I've been around people who would rather just fully in the moment. My memory is too weak to skip photos. It's fully up to you.

Thank you all so much! I think I’ll price disposable underwater cameras, as well as inexpensive “real” cameras.

This is SUCH a good point. We’re not generally underwater adventurers, so I was surprised when my son wanted to do this particular excursion. We don’t have much need for something that will last, just something that will get the job done.

Thanks everyone! :thanks:

Keep in mind, though, with disposable, that it's going to be at least $25 for the camera and development. I didn't want to be restricted to 24 photos that I can't review, and no video. I've seen some digital cameras for $30 and under. They are no goPro but at least you can try it out ahead of time in the tub or something to see how you like the pictures.

I bought a Nikon AW130 a few years ago and love it. I can take it to the beach without worrying about sand. It doesn't take great pics in low light but is a nice camera otherwise.

We bought a refurbished Olympus TG-4 on Amazon for our 2nd DCL in 2016 cruise and we love it! It takes way better pictures than my iPhone and it is waterproof and rugged. It was absolutely worth the price as that is what we use now as our “camera” with the benefit of being able to swim with it.

I got a really, really cheap underwater Polaroid camera from Walmart last year. It's digital and takes video also. It cost less than $20. I was really surprised that it takes good pics for such a cheap camera. I wanted something that I can take on excursions and won't care if something happens to it. I bought the disposable ones before and the pics came out horrible. I don't scuba, so don't know how deep underwater it can go, but for snorkeling and such it's good.

Last edited:
We bought a refurbished Olympus TG-4 on Amazon for our 2nd DCL in 2016 cruise and we love it! It takes way better pictures than my iPhone and it is waterproof and rugged. It was absolutely worth the price as that is what we use now as our “camera” with the benefit of being able to swim with it.
I have the one too, takes good pics. And we bought a float wrist strap and it floats.

I got a 4 pack of the disposable underwater cameras for maybe $20 on Amazon. Near me only Walgreens sends out and it was $15 and change to develop. Most of the prints turned out horrible. “Splurge” on the digital and save yourself the trouble

We love our GoPros for everything outdoors...snorkeling/diving, hiking, playing in the pool, really everything. But pre GoPro we had a $50 digital camera we purchased for a trip to Hawaii. The pictures turned out great and was well worth the investment. We still have the camera and use it on occasion. I just looked for a reasonably priced one with good reviews and was not disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter