Do we need a flashlight in the parks or hotel rooms....?

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
So we have been talking to our neighbors and friends that got back last month... and they both said that the hotel rooms are super dark... even with every light on...

My neighbor said that the bathrooms were so dark and she said that she was glad that they took a night light... and she said putting on make-up was a challenge...

My friend said that one of her daughters brought a portable lighted make-up mirror, to help with 3 women getting ready at one time.. and they all had to share it, as the rooms and bathroom where super dark... even with the blinds and drapes open...

She did say that in the parks once it gets dark that it is really hard to see where you are going, luckily their future son in law, is in the military and had a small flashlight in his backpack... she said the used it in the parks and in the hotel room...and walking back to the hotel at night from the trains...

I am just wondering if this is something I should be prepared for... Thoughts?

So, rooms were nowhere near as dark as Jambo House DVC... Just coming back from Hilton Odaiba, Hilton Tokyo Bay and Ambassador Hotel. Parks are darker at night. But I would think the flashlight option on your phone should do ok.

We stayed at Hilton Tokyo Bay and our room never felt dark. We were in the celebrio room with an ocean view. Since no one could really see into our room we left the curtains open to have natural light.

I don’t remember the parks being that dark but I guess I could see some areas being darker than others.

I don’t remember the parks being that dark but I guess I could see some areas being darker than others.

This can also be an age thing...in my mid 50s now, and light perception is definitely different. I didn't at any time feel unsafe (like I'd walk into someone).. I actually noticed how it had a more "dark" feel which I love in the parks at night.

Hotels - I guess depends. We stayed off site TDL and the room had 3 over head lights that was bright. The other hotel we stayed also had enough lighting for us.

Parks - it is rather dark, darker than DL. Coming off Splash into the Riverboat area was extremely dark. The same goes for DS. Of course this is my own opinion. This was at early Dec, winter time, so it gets dark around 4.30pm.

Hotels can vary, but with the exception of our most recent hotel, we’ve never had any lighting issues. The most recent hotel was a brand new build with a “dark and moody” modern bathroom that looked better than it functioned.

The parks can be “dark” at night, especially DisneySea as the lighting is very ... thematic. But, we’ve never been concerned about losing our footing or trip hazards, etc.

Thanks everyone...

I was just wondering... They both have kept going on and on about how dark it was... and I had not really read anything about this... I mention it to DH, and he said I always bring a small flashlight with us... so either way we are covered...

Happy New Year everyone...

Definately not a real issue. Thousands of people walk the parks everyday without flashlights.

IMO the parks are darker than WDW but I can't remember ever thinking that a hotel room was dark. Actually, the darkest hotels I've ever been in were AKL & Poly :p (But, nothing you needed a flashlight for.)

Bring it if you think it will help you. Doesn't harm anyone to have a little extra light on the ground.

Like I mentioned, I felt that it was darker than DL. Everyone in the family had a phone but none of us used the torch function.

You can always use the flashlight on your phone.

I have a night light just for our "going away" - even if it's staying at a family member's home which does not happen too often. I keep it with my Laptop recharger/phone recharger zip loc bag.

You might/might not need it. It all depends which hotel you are in.

Also, if you forget. You can always leave the bathroom light on and leave it open an inch.

Have fun!

OP here,

I was talking to DH, and I was like have we ever used the flash-light... and he just gave me that look like of course :rolleyes:... We used several times in hotel room and on cruise's.. to find an earring backs that I dropped, then I got to thinking about it... we have used it for alot of things... digging our backpacks or day bags, on planes and on tours or just walking around... I know we used it in Paris alot... walking in Paris at night back to the hotel the sidewalks were pretty rough, and not much lighting and it had been raining... and we did use it the parks walking back to the hotel at night... they were doing alot of improvement while we were there... it was quite dark around the lake... most of lights around the lake where out, only every other one or so... So I guess it has come in handy quite bit, when I really think about it...

I guess I was just having a moment :rotfl2::thanks:pixiedust:... Thanks for all the response's...

I always carry a travel flashlight - you'd be surprised at how useful it is. I think you'll generally be fine walking around in the parks in the evening, but I do think it will come in handy if you need to get up in the middle of the night in your hotel room. Not a necessity, but a definite "nice to have."

Yeah your phone light or a mini mag light comes in handy no matter where you travel. IF you use the mag light, just leave it in your toiletry bag as they're pretty compact and bright at the same time.

In regards to staying at TDR, Mira Costa, and Sheraton. We didn't feel like the rooms were dark at all. We usually kept the bathroom light on as our nightlight and adjusted it it had a door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter