Do people ever trade home resorts

ericar

Mouseketeer
Do people or can people make reservations at the 11 month time and trade with someone else at a different home resort so they would book at 11 months also? I am new to DVC.

They could but working out the deal to keep it equal might be a pain. You can also transfer points to someone else but only once in or out per UY and according to the rules you can't get paid for the transfer.

:earsboy: Bill

Do people or can people make reservations at the 11 month time and trade with someone else at a different home resort so they would book at 11 months also? I am new to DVC.
People can and do "trade" reservations but there is quite a bit of haggling over what is fair.

For instance, a week at a standard view studio at VGF during Sept. F&W would run 125 points while a BWV Boardwalk View studio during that same week would only be 107 points. Is it a fair trade to just swap reservations? One might contend that while VGF is nice, being able to walk to Epcot during F&W has great value. OTOH, those VGF points cost a lot more to purchase, so....

And therein lies the rub. As a BWV owner, I would look at how valuable that reservation is during Fall Frenzy. As a VGF owner, I know how much more I paid for those points so that I have the home resort advantage to get a studio there. And if you own at SSR, I would have a hard time accepting a 1:1 trade for my VGF reservation or points.

In all honesty, I think that it would make more sense to rent out your points at your home resort and then rent a reservation from someone who owns at the resort you want to stay at.

I thought this post meant something else. We are weirdos. LOL. Originally bought OKW in 1995 (free park passes until 2000!). Then sold those in 2001 (?) or so, to rebuy in at Beach Club Villas. (It was a wash, $$ wise, believe it or not, got a CM discount on BCV.). But in the last 6-7 years, we have not even stayed at BCV. So early this year, we sold BCV and bought back in at WL-BR, resale! I know, we are nuts. This last time, we came out ahead, because BCV sells so high vs. WL-BR. (closing costs, and 25 direct too, all covered by the sale of BC points). Actually sold a mostly stripped BCV and got a loaded with 2017 points WL-BR.

It is crazy but we now love WL the most, and look forward to trips during the holiday season there. No more switching!

Do people or can people make reservations at the 11 month time and trade with someone else at a different home resort so they would book at 11 months also?
the most you would find would be to receive a transfer of points from another member (at a different resort), possibly find an existing reservation and the other option would be if you get a transfer of points you either keeping your points or renting out the points you don't need. There is a rent/trade board you can check out.

Honestly it would be a tricky situation and i don't think i would get involved in trying to swap reservations and likely you would find a member looking to make a swap. If you had a friend or someone you knew well then this could be possible, but other than that not something i think many here would entertain.

I really think that swapping is tricky. I think a better swap would be someone wanting to swap Aulani points for a WDW resort(esp. a premier resort). This takes a bit of trust but I think that this is a more likely scenario that a swap between resorts within wdw proper.

In all honesty, I think that it would make more sense to rent out your points at your home resort and then rent a reservation from someone who owns at the resort you want to stay at.

That's what we did in this situation. We did it through David, and there was a small delta - I ended up have to pay a few dollars per point over what I received from renting my points - but I had a no hassle reservation where and when I wanted it. We wanted HHI in the Summer, a hard reservation to be assured of. I rented out my BWV points and rented someone else's HHI points.

That's what we did in this situation. We did it through David, and there was a small delta - I ended up have to pay a few dollars per point over what I received from renting my points - but I had a no hassle reservation where and when I wanted it. We wanted HHI in the Summer, a hard reservation to be assured of. I rented out my BWV points and rented someone else's HHI points.
I was thinking of doing this for next summer-renting my BCV points for Hilton Head- we were able to get it at 7 months 8 years ago but I ‘m not sure if we’d be successful this time around. How soon did you contact David ‘s to set this up?

Yes, it is entirely possible to do this. I agree with others that if it is not someone you know well and trust, I would have some sort of contractual agreement. There are forums where one can request to direct trade with other TS owners. I plan on doing this in the future for a deluxe resort on the Big Island.

I had a friend and fellow DVC owner approach me and want to transfer points to me as he wanted a GV at a resort where I own but they do not. This member owned at a resort I really wanted to experience so I suggested we just book for each other and forget all the transfer nonsense (since you are only allowed ONE transfer in OR out per use year), since we knew each other pretty well. We booked for each other, the points were only a couple of points difference and they were "thrilled to pay" to get the GV they wanted. We simply got the necessary info: names, addresses, etc., to make the rez for the other, and then sent all the confirmed info. It worked like a charm, and I would be very open to do it again!

I was thinking of doing this for next summer-renting my BCV points for Hilton Head- we were able to get it at 7 months 8 years ago but I ‘m not sure if we’d be successful this time around. How soon did you contact David ‘s to set this up?

Since I knew a year in advance, I made arrangements probably 10-11 months out.

It's essentially 2 rentals and the person traveling first is in the drivers seat. I'd just rent then rent out if this was my goal, it opens up a lot more options and people to work with. I'd only do it for someone you know and are comfortable with. It's not just dishonesty but sometimes people change their mind last minute, make mistakes or fail to follow up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!