Do people call you by a nickname?

I grew up being called Al - or Boo by my mom always - but at every job I've ever worked someone has started calling me Alli until I adopted it as my own. Both my sister and I were purposefully given names that could be shortened to a more masculine sounding nickname as my mother - Karen but went by her initials KC (like Casey) for work - wanted us to have a similar option. I always thought it was funny that everyone called my grandpa Art (for Arthur) except my grandma - she called him Hank. I'm not sure exactly how old I was when I realized that was a nickname for Henry which is our last name.

My mom had a nickname for me that no one else used. <3 But most people cal me Jax. I actually love it. Fits me

I grew up being called a nickname. As an adult, I dislike it and ask people to call me by my birth name. I’ll never convince my family to stop using the nickname.

We just signed closing documents and my nickname was used despite the contract being in my birth name. It actually ticked me off a bit. I can request a name change on the deed for a small fee, according to the closing officer who couldn’t explain why a nickname was on the docs. I have no idea why they would have used any other name than the one on the contract.

A few.
El Gato, the Gator and Swingline all from softball.
Swingline coming from the fact that I played a game with staples from hernia surgery still holding me together and I got caught in my uniform.

A few.
El Gato, the Gator and Swingline all from softball.
Swingline coming from the fact that I played a game with staples from hernia surgery still holding me together and I got caught in my uniform.

Oh a side note, when naming my son I wanted a name that could not be shortened into a nickname (so no Jonathan, Michael, Matthew, etc) His name is Liam and it’s still shocks me how many people try to call him Lee.

Same thing happened to someone I know, purposely wanted a name for her son that wouldn't be shortened. She named him "Ian". And yes his friends call him "E" lol.

The family name for me growing up was Jo, though my parents had other pet names for me (same as I do for my youngsters, who are now adults. lol). When I started working, people started calling me MJ. I don't remember anyone at school calling me MJ. They all called me Mary Jo or Jo (closest friends). Won't answer to Mary, and will kindly correct people at work when they first meet me/email me and call me Mary. What I find interesting these days is when a coworker will refer someone to me, and in the email address me as MJ. It happened today, and I was thinking, "Wait, I don't know this person - MJ is for my friends." Due to Facebook, my family in Texas called me MJ, and I told them that it felt weird being called that as I've always gone by Jo there. Weird, so I'm shrugging it off.

My name is Danielle and I have been called Dani since I was little. The only place I really go by Danielle now is work. The funny thing is that my uncle is Daniel and goes by Dan to almost everyone except my grandma would call him Danny and would prnounce my name like his which I heated.

Yes. If you can recall my childhood/family nickname on Facebook I'll probably friend you. Now will I consistently check the site to see what you said? Err....probably not. It's much better to communicate with me via text and telephone calls.

Yes. Always had a nickname, since birth.

Full name only used formally.
(Or when I was in trouble as a kid, also used with my middle name. I knew I was in for it if I heard my full name!)

I actually prefer to be called Liz.
...although since I'm the 3rd child in the family, sometimes my family calls me "number three". :eek:

We joke that our kids are S(last name)1, S2, S3, S4. They roll with it and will joke back with their number when doing a headcount for a group event.

No nickname for me. My name is too short. I've had a few coworkers who've jokingly called me CareBear (name is Keri). Never bothered me.

I grew up being called a nickname. As an adult, I dislike it and ask people to call me by my birth name. I’ll never convince my family to stop using the nickname.

We just signed closing documents and my nickname was used despite the contract being in my birth name. It actually ticked me off a bit. I can request a name change on the deed for a small fee, according to the closing officer who couldn’t explain why a nickname was on the docs. I have no idea why they would have used any other name than the one on the contract.
The family name for me growing up was Jo, though my parents had other pet names for me (same as I do for my youngsters, who are now adults. lol). When I started working, people started calling me MJ. I don't remember anyone at school calling me MJ. They all called me Mary Jo or Jo (closest friends). Won't answer to Mary, and will kindly correct people at work when they first meet me/email me and call me Mary. What I find interesting these days is when a coworker will refer someone to me, and in the email address me as MJ. It happened today, and I was thinking, "Wait, I don't know this person - MJ is for my friends." Due to Facebook, my family in Texas called me MJ, and I told them that it felt weird being called that as I've always gone by Jo there. Weird, so I'm shrugging it off.

I can relate to both of these so much! It's confusing when you go by a name that doesn't resemble your first name in the least! Sometimes people try to give me a hard time for being confusing - when this was not my choice. I've met a lot of people over the years whose parents have always called them by their middle name but who choose to go by first at work/school to avoid confusion. Whichever way you go, there's always confusion and there are always people scolding you for being confusing! Most people have one name they go by, but I have people who know me by about 4 different names -

*first name
*nickname of middle name
*first name/nickname of middle name (I often use this just for clarity's sake, though it's not my favorite and doesn't really feel like me)
*first name/middle initial
Then I have people who call me a nick name of my middle name nickname because they just do.

No one ever uses my full middle name.

After years of confusion I carefully chose names for my kids where any nicknames would be really obvious shortened versions of their first names. It worked for my first. My second child came home from first grade with "Mike" written on his papers. His middle name was Michael and he decided all on his own that he wanted to go by a nickname of his middle name! I about died with the irony - but fortunately it was a phase that didn't stick!

Last edited:
I have a brother who I swear turns everyone's names into a one syllable nickname like obviously for me he calls me Kit. He seriously would call Ebenezer Scrooge, Eb! :teeth:

I can relate to both of these so much! It's confusing when you go by a name that doesn't resemble your first name in the least! Sometimes people try to give me a hard time for being confusing - when this was not my choice. I've met a lot of people over the years whose parents have always called them by their middle name but who choose to go by first at work/school to avoid confusion. Whichever way you go, there's always confusion and there are always people scolding you for being confusing! Most people have one name they go by, but I have people who know me by about 4 different names -

*first name
*nickname of middle name
*first name/nickname of middle name (I often use this just for clarity's sake, though it's not my favorite and doesn't really feel like me)
*first name/middle initial
Then I have people who call me a nick name of my middle name nickname because they just do.

No one ever uses my full middle name.

After years of confusion I carefully chose names for my kids where any nicknames would be really obvious shortened versions of their first names. It worked for my first. My second child came home from first grade with "Mike" written on his papers. His middle name was Michael and he decided all on his own that he wanted to go by a nickname of his middle name! I about died with the irony - but fortunately it was a phase that didn't stick!

It's really an issue for me. Just call me by my birth name. It's not that hard.

None of my children have names that can be changed into nicknames. I wouldn't do that to them.

It's really an issue for me. Just call me by my birth name. It's not that hard.

None of my children have names that can be changed into nicknames. I wouldn't do that to them.

How do you even FIND names that can't be changed into nicknames? I went with simple like "David" often becomes "Dave" type names figuring at least possible nicknames would be obvious. I've noticed that short names even end up being lengthened. "Jane" becomes "Janie" etc. Some people just insist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!