Do I need cash?

dthmj

Earning My Ears
First time to Disney World. We will have our magic bands, and are on the Disney Dining Plan. So do we need actual cash while in the park? I plan to have a credit card on file with the resort.

I didn't bring any with me when we went in September (13 nights). We charged whatever we needed that wasn't on Dining Plan

I'd say carry a small amount of cash. We were there in May 2016 when the 'system' went down. Couldn't use dining credits or charge to room using Magic Bands. We'd gone cashless so could only get a free drink of water from CS location. We were in Epcot that day and staying at Boardwalk so not a huge issue, but if we had been in MK, or had hungry children with us it wouldn't have been so easy.

You could also need change for the shooting arcade at MK and for pressed-penny machines. For all regular purchases, everything can be charged to your Magic Band.

I bring $200 in cash in small bills for tipping at the airport and at Disney (ME, bell services, room service). I also like to have cash for little kiosks or carts in the parks that don’t take MB.

Last edited:
i'm a fan of always having some cash on you, no matter where you are. (cabs, tips, cc machine at gas station broken. . . .) i agree with previous poster - have cash for some things that don't take MB - like balloons!

Yes definitely. I've been in the parks when the systems have gone down or arrived to find my MB wasnt linked correctly. I always bring my cc and some cash just in case.

No, you don't need cash. I literally almost never carry any, anywhere (in or out of WDW). Can't say I've ever had a time in WDW where I would have needed it.

I always have $20 and a credit card on me. Some kiosks only take cash and occasionally there will be an issue with the machines scanning magic bands. Always have a backup.

You could go cashless. If you need to get cash, there are ATMs in the parks. My luck though, they are usually as far away as possible. Plus they more than likely charge a fee.

I always have a little bit of cash with me, just in case.

I don't carry cash anywhere, Disney included.

Bring your physical credit card and your ID to the parks just in case the MB system messes up, but I wouldn't bother with cash unless you know you're doing one of the few things that require it, like collecting pressed pennies.

I never carry cash with me. But you'll at least want to carry a debit/credit card and your ID

You'd be out of luck if the system goes down and all you have is your magic band

I always bring $50 for Mousekeeping ($5 a day) and about $100 for stuff that only take cash. Ran into a couple of kiosks/vendors in Fastasmic where we had to use cash on our 1st trip and of course for pennies. I have a collector who is determined to get a complete collection of pressed coins.

I want to add that even though we take $200 in cash I only ever carry $20-30 on me while at WDW. Every morning I put my credit card, ID, insurance card and $20-30 in cash in my lanyard. I don't carry the entire $200 on me the entire time I'm there.

I usually bring about $100 so that I have cash to tip the MDE driver and mousekeeping. If we take a taxi then I generally pay that in cash, but other than that we don't use it at all in the parks.

While you don't really "need" cash at WDW (or almost anywhere these days, for that matter), I do think it's somewhat foolish to travel without any. Electronic payment systems aren't foolproof (especially in the case of disasters), in which case one might find themselves in a real bind without cash on hand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter