Do I Need an EP for September?

maryscooking

Earning My Ears
We are going to be staying at Cabana Bay Sept 13-16, and I'm considering upgrading Friday night to a deluxe resort so we can have express passes Friday and Saturday. It would cost about $70 more, which is a deal of course - but not if we wouldn't really need them anyway.

I've never been to Universal so I have no point of reference for September. We were at Disney during the same time period last year, and there were definitely some lines that we were glad to have reserved easy passes for. Same at Universal??

Thanks for your input!

Unless it's just you (I would recommend just using single rider line), I'd get the night at the deluxe for the express passes. Might not be absolutely necessary, but they're always great to have. The 15th and 16th are the first two nights of Halloween Horror Nights, so it's possible there could be a spike in attendance. The Studios will definitely be closing early (5:00) for HHN, so express passes will ensure you can do everything you want.

We found that the weekend did get busier in September. Everyone's tolerance is different.

you will be in the time period for the opening season of hhn.
that weekend will have some crowds.

I asked the same question for my trip last year in late October. Crowd calendars were saying about 5 out of 10. The responses I received were that I would be fine.

I ended up buying the EP for the next 2 days there. It was nice not spending all day in lines.

BTW, I stayed in Cabana Bay as well. But I thought it was claustrophobic for just 2 of us.

I asked the same question for my trip last year in late October. Crowd calendars were saying about 5 out of 10. The responses I received were that I would be fine.

I ended up buying the EP for the next 2 days there. It was nice not spending all day in lines.

BTW, I stayed in Cabana Bay as well. But I thought it was claustrophobic for just 2 of us.

Thank you (and the others who replied as well) this is very helpful. It will be me, my husband and our daughter. We have a tower poolside family suite reserved at Cabana Bay. I thought the double queen rooms looked a little tight. I liked the price, location right next to Volcano Bay, and availability of the suite. So I don't want to switch rooms unless it has a real benefit. And I think it sounds like we'd be happy with the Express Passes.

$70 for 3 people to get unlimited express passes? I would do it in a heartbeat. Weekends are always a little busier. I would do that for just me! I am going to be there at the same time and I booked RPR so I could have EP's for the whole time because I hate lines in general!

Thank you (and the others who replied as well) this is very helpful. It will be me, my husband and our daughter. We have a tower poolside family suite reserved at Cabana Bay. I thought the double queen rooms looked a little tight. I liked the price, location right next to Volcano Bay, and availability of the suite. So I don't want to switch rooms unless it has a real benefit. And I think it sounds like we'd be happy with the Express Passes.

if you want to switch hotels, do it soon as you will be there during the opening weekend of hhn.
(sept 15)
check the booking site for available standard rooms

We usually stay at Cabana Bay when it was just me and my husband for HHN but this year a friend and our daughter are coming so Deluxe 2 Queen at HRH for us. Quite a bit more but we really could have used the Express passes last year. Lines on the weekend got long. We also get express passes for HHN. I admit I can not stand in those long hot lines for 2+ hrs.

if you want to switch hotels, do it soon as you will be there during the opening weekend of hhn.
(sept 15)
check the booking site for available standard rooms

I booked a garden view double queen at Portofino Bay yesterday :). There were still multiple room types available, but the suite rate is high for the little bit of time we'll be in the room. It didn't feel like a good use of money to get another suite. And the double queen was exactly $75 more expensive than the tower pool view family suite at Cabana Bay. I think this will be a good compromise: Wed/Thurs we'll hit Volcano Bay in the AM hours before the crowds do, stop back at the suite for a early lunch/break, and then see what uncrowded park attractions we find in the afternoon. And then for Fri/Sat we'll have express passes to really see everything we want at IOA/US.

Last edited:
We usually stay at Cabana Bay when it was just me and my husband for HHN but this year a friend and our daughter are coming so Deluxe 2 Queen at HRH for us. Quite a bit more but we really could have used the Express passes last year. Lines on the weekend got long. We also get express passes for HHN. I admit I can not stand in those long hot lines for 2+ hrs.

I'm with you, I cannot stand in a long line. In all the times we've been to Disney, I've trip planned well enough (thanks to easywdw mostly) that we ride all the rides but never stand in anything longer than a 20-25 minute line. And than includes a week at the end of June. But given that Universal doesn't have an easy pass system like Disney, we really don't have a choice except to spend more on the hotel if we want to avoid wasting time in line.

I booked a garden view double queen at Portofino Bay yesterday :). There were still multiple room types available, but the suite rate is high for the little bit of time we'll be in the room. It didn't feel like a good use of money to get another suite. And the double queen was exactly $75 more expensive than the tower pool view family suite at Cabana Bay. I think this will be a good compromise: Wed/Thurs we'll hit Volcano Bay in the AM hours before the crowds do, stop back at the suite for a early lunch/break, and then see what uncrowded park attractions we find in the afternoon. And then for Fri/Sat we'll have express passes to really see everything we want at IOA/US.
Did you check the room prices at hrh and rpr also to see info they are cheaper?

We are going to be staying at Cabana Bay Sept 13-16, and I'm considering upgrading Friday night to a deluxe resort so we can have express passes Friday and Saturday. It would cost about $70 more, which is a deal of course - but not if we wouldn't really need them anyway.

I've never been to Universal so I have no point of reference for September. We were at Disney during the same time period last year, and there were definitely some lines that we were glad to have reserved easy passes for. Same at Universal??

Thanks for your input!

Last September we didn't need EPs. We stayed a little longer, so there was no pressure of doing everything in a short amount of time.

But last year we never waited more than 20 minutes.

Does anyone have any info on Rosh Hashana crowds (Sept 21-24)- I know HHN always makes things a bit more crowded but I've not been down during rosh hashana and wondered how it compared to other fall holidays (i.e. veteran's day or columbus day). Considering buying an express pass for a day for my friend and I, as deluxe resorts are out of our teacher price range. Thanks!

Does anyone have any info on Rosh Hashana crowds (Sept 21-24)- I know HHN always makes things a bit more crowded but I've not been down during rosh hashana and wondered how it compared to other fall holidays (i.e. veteran's day or columbus day). Considering buying an express pass for a day for my friend and I, as deluxe resorts are out of our teacher price range. Thanks!
Most schools don't have that off (at least in my city) so I wouldn't expect a big spike in attendance.

I think you would be fine touring without express pass. However, for $70 more, I'd upgrade anyway. RPR is a wonderful hotel and a noticeable step up from CB. (CB is good for the cost).

I think you would be fine touring without express pass. However, for $70 more, I'd upgrade anyway. RPR is a wonderful hotel and a noticeable step up from CB. (CB is good for the cost).

Yeah.

We did go ahead and book the night in RPR. The trade off is that we have a family suite at CB, and only a regular double queen at RPR. I will miss the little kitchenette and extra space/privacy at CB for sure. The EP is really the only reason to pay extra, and it seems 50/50 if we will need it or not. But given any chance at all of needing it, I'd feel dumb if I hadn't upgraded for a cost of $70 for three unlimited express passes for two days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter