Do Disney resort guests still get their own entrance at the parks?

AP holders have their own separate entry point but the line is alway just as long as the others.

AP holders have their own separate entry point but the line is alway just as long as the others.

Not always, at least not on our last two trips, but DH and I sometimes play the game of "which line is longer" so we split up between AP and regular lines to see which line wins. I think people who don't have APs who get in those lines can contribute to the longer lines but we did at least see a number of people being turned back the last two times we were there when they scanned and didn't have APs. Hopefully they continue this and word gets out that you'll be in line longer if you do this and even having already scanned in won't get you in.

I want to win. I went in 1976.
ON the 4th of July.
It was the Bicentennial of our country.

WELL ............... I visited the Preview Center on Hotel Plaza Blvd where we saw a movie, models and bought postcards etc .... in 1970. My first trip inside the Magic Kingdom was November 1971, Thanksgiving. Truly was a disaster as Disney was in no way equipped for the crowds, what a day.

I have never seen a resort guest only entrance to the parks. What I do remember is when only hotel resort guests could use the Disney transportation. You had to show a card that stated as much (I still have some) that you had to show the bus driver to get on a bus.

The only lines that were "special" were for PPO events like meals, EMM, EMH (which would be hotel guests only) or party events, and the AP line.

[4th of July 1976 I was in Philadelphia, celebrating at the original party]

Last edited:
have never seen a resort guest only entrance to the parks. What I do remember is when only hotel resort guests could use the Disney transportation. You had to show a card that stated as much (I still have some) that you had to show the bus driver to get on a bus
Wait! For a while you had to show proof you wrre staying at an MK-area property to be able to board the Tesorts Monorail...but no. That'd be for leaving the MK, not for entering a park.

Wait! For a while you had to show proof you wrre staying at an MK-area property to be able to board the Tesorts Monorail...but no. That'd be for leaving the MK, not for entering a park.

You could not use Disney "transportation" without proof of being a hotel guest. Since we were riding buses to MK I'm not sure how it translated to the Resorts monorail.

For offsite guests to hop you had to drive to where you wanted to go. Even at this earliest card there were 3 parks.

We first had a specific Transportation Card. Then we had cards that room key/transportation cards. At one point it refers to the transportation fee was paid and that seems a distant memory.

First one is the card we had to show bus driver. The other two where when more sophisticated room cards came about and small print talks about transportation fee and we showed cards to board bus.

Not sure the timeframe because some of the historical I look at conflict with each other, experience and the first card ... but at some point they included transportation with a ticket purchase ... and now there is no condition at all to ride the transportation which I assume is for driving dining and shopping. It was a pain because while this was in place we had small children, stroller and having to pull out these cards out every time we boarded.

60265398_327390857940854_7540468064890912768_n.jpg 60134802_464633474292721_8771044102922829824_n.jpg 60282769_2436134069953064_6529980852779089920_n.jpg

Last edited:
You could not use Disney "transportation" without proof of being a hotel guest. Since we were riding buses to MK I'm not sure how it translated to the Resorts monorail.
Yeah, by the time I started staying onsite, I don't recall needing to prove anything to use the buses. But offsite guests had to be able to use the Express (but not Resorts) monorail - although I'm sure if you told the CMs you were going to X for dinner, you were allowed on.

When I first read this, I was reminded of the fact that my AP is lapsing before my next trip, and I'm not going to renew. So when I saw this, I thought "Oh, Darn! Now I won't be able to use these special entrances anymore. But then, the next poster reminded me-sometimes they're longer, so maybe it's not such a disadvantage that I can't use them anymore.

Alrighty then, let's get this straight...

Here's the scenario. We'll be staying at the Contemporary and using the walkway to get to the MK. My granddaughter will be carrying a small white backpack for her character signatures.
A couple of questions:
- Will there be a security checkpoint on the walkway prior to entering the common entrance area?
- Will we still have to go through another security checkpoint and turnstiles in the common entrance area before entering the MK or is it just a straight shot in from the end of the walkway?

After reading all of the prior responses on this thread, it seems there was confusion (on my behalf) as to what is or isn't true. I just want to be sure of what to expect.

Thanks in advance to any and all responses...

Alrighty then, let's get this straight...

Here's the scenario. We'll be staying at the Contemporary and using the walkway to get to the MK. My granddaughter will be carrying a small white backpack for her character signatures.
A couple of questions:
- Will there be a security checkpoint on the walkway prior to entering the common entrance area?
- Will we still have to go through another security checkpoint and turnstiles in the common entrance area before entering the MK or is it just a straight shot in from the end of the walkway?

After reading all of the prior responses on this thread, it seems there was confusion (on my behalf) as to what is or isn't true. I just want to be sure of what to expect.

Thanks in advance to any and all responses...
Security has a checkpoint along that path. That will be the only security checkpoint you encounter. Buses/ferries/boats have a separate spot for security now. It's all moved back a bit from the turnstiles now.

But you will still need to go through ticket admission at the main gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!