DO DISABLE PERSONS FEEL LEFT OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it is safer? A fall from a low seat is better than a fall from higher one. Also, making the seat more accessible (higher) for one person could potentially make it less accessible for another. As Sue pointed out, not all wheelchairs are the same height.
The ADA guidelines actually have a range of seat heights. People who need to transfer from a wheelchair are generally aware of those and know how they can work with those.
Higher may not mean much higher - 2 inches might make a big difference depending on the attraction.
And, even though Bill mentioned changing the level of the load floor, there might be different ways to achieve that. And, changing the loading area floor height may make it easier for other people as he mentioned by making the step in not so low.
It could be raising the seat itself in an ADA vehicle for some. Or, there are situations like Test Track where most people are not aware that there is an alternate load area where the ride car is at its ‘riding height’

Yep, I can board Test Track at the ADA boarding area but I'd never be able to do it at the regular area. Those types of areas could have been added to to Navi River and Frozen Ever After. As for falling because the seat is higher? I'm asking for the seat to be at 20". You're more likely to hurt yourself climbing down into the boat than hurt yourself from falling off a seat.

Still no comment on the night blindness glasses.... All kinds of solutions for the wheelchair access but nothing on the glasses that apparently already exist....
I truly am curious about the glasses hence why I keep bringing it up.

one thing that stuck out for me at my first trip to US was the zero entry loading areas in pretty much every ride that I chose to do( caveat: no roller coasters so cannot comment on those) and like Bill I would be over the moon if all of Disney's rides were the same way. even after my hip replacement, I am pretty sure the deep step into Pirates and the like will still be problematic for me and will require my husband doing the pushing/pulling to get me in and out. It will be a another 2 years or so before we can get back to Disney so I honestly have not really been paying attention to the Pandora and Toy Story rides yet.

the being said, I will not be personally insulted if these rides will be unattainable for me. they cannot make everything 100% accessible to 100% of all disabilities. I have been excluded from many things in my life and not always because I have a disability.

This is a vision company’s information about night blindness. It does say SOME people are helped by glasses.
The specific things mentioned are anti-glare coatings and possible colors.
https://www.vsp.com/night-blindness.html

My FIL has night blindness. He had anti glare lenses, which did not help him.
I can see why some people might want to try them, but can see no reason why Disney would provide them. If someone has night blindness, they also have it outside of Disney.
It’s not the same as captioning of specific shows you can only see at Disney or anything that is specific to a Disney trip.

This is a vision company’s information about night blindness. It does say SOME people are helped by glasses.
The specific things mentioned are anti-glare coatings and possible colors.
https://www.vsp.com/night-blindness.html

My FIL has night blindness. He had anti glare lenses, which did not help him.
I can see why some people might want to try them, but can see no reason why Disney would provide them. If someone has night blindness, they also have it outside of Disney.
It’s not the same as captioning of specific shows you can only see at Disney or anything that is specific to a Disney trip.

Yeah those anti glare coatings are useless for most with actual night bl8ndness.
I think that article is more referring to people that simply have a hard time with headlights while driving at night.
Just like those cheap yellow tinted glasses are for something like that not really for someone to see better in the dark.
As far as I know there are no glasses that actually provide help with true night blindness hence why I was so interested in what the one poster said about it.
You basically need night vision technology which does exist but no company has formally introduced such glasses yet.

Can you elaborate on what went wrong at Silver Dollar City?

I posted my trip report here, on the DISabilites Community Board, but in the service of advancing the discussion in this thread:

First of all, much of the Silver Dollar City theme park is simply not accessible to personal mobility devices of any kind: there are areas on the park map that show pathways with slopes that are far too steep for even manual wheelchairs or strollers to be used safely because of the possibility that if the user/pusher had to stop or lost control... the result would be a horrifying out-of-control ride to the bottom of the hill, if they didn't tip over first, or run over someone. All mobility devices and strollers are prohibited on those pathways. There are additional paths that are marked as "use with caution" where we discovered that ECVs (including the park rentals) were able to go down very slowly, but still were unable to climb the slope as the grade was too steep (the units had to be pushed back to the top with great difficulty), and the wheelchair and stroller users we saw avoided those as well. There is no really safe or easy way to get from the top half of the park down to the bottom half of the park (where I wanted to take our DD to show her many of the "original" attractions from when I was a kid) and I was rendered a patient at First Aid for a time after two trips across a bumpy bridge that has thick tuffets of mossy grass growing up between the planks; it was literally the most painful surface I have ever ridden across.

Silver Dollar City (and Branson) are in the Ozarks; SDC was created as an "authentic" Ozarks experience, and is built on top of Marvel Cave at it's highest point (Hospitality House). While it is very pretty (especially at Christmastime, with all of the lights) sadly, it is a nightmare for anyone with any kind of mobility issues, and there are hills that even "healthy" adults struggle to walk up and down. Much of the Branson area, while catering directly and obviously to an aging Baby Boomer clientele, is ironically not at all, or barely ADA accessible. I was able to go further, and do more there than most people, simply because my personal mobility device is small and lightweight, which enabled me to use it places that a standard rental scooter might not have been able to go. Some of the more recent attractions (like the Titanic, Ripley's, and the outdoor outlet mall) are fully accessible, or have accessible pathways, but the older places that are "original" to Branson, like Dicks 5 & 10 in the old downtown, have aisles that are so narrow that it is difficult for most ECVs to make the turns across the endcaps of the aisles to go down the next adjacent aisle.

I love Branson, and the people there are wonderfully friendly and personable, but it's a *LOT* of "work" for me to visit many of the attractions there.

Which leads me to believe the thread was only created to stir us all up.
Posters like that should be banned.

Recently, we saw this same behavior here on another post - someone started a thread, hoping to find support for their position, and instead found that the communities reaction was not what they expected.

From my experience, this community (the DISabled forum) is (relatively) united on issues of safety, accessibility and mobility - not necessarily in that order depending on the issue. The posts that generate this behavior, where the OP posts, and a rapid "backlash" ensues, I believe are often driven by someone who pops in here and posts without "reading the room" first.

Overall, I feel like the DISboards have far fewer trolls than most forums, and a far greater helpful and positive community as well.

Yep, I can board Test Track at the ADA boarding area but I'd never be able to do it at the regular area. Those types of areas could have been added to to Navi River and Frozen Ever After. As for falling because the seat is higher? I'm asking for the seat to be at 20". You're more likely to hurt yourself climbing down into the boat than hurt yourself from falling off a seat.

For coasters and boats, raising/lowering seats changes the forces on the ride vehicle, which would have to be taken into consideration. So raising or lowering the loading platform would make more sense, which would then make it an issue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!