Do different use years = different contracts?

Ok, so if I were to buy say another 30 point contract at OKW, with a September use year, I can use all 70 points online at the 7 month mark to book? But is I were to buy a 30 point contract at SSR with a September use year, I would need to call to book at 7 months?

Ok, so if I were to buy say another 30 point contract at OKW, with a September use year, I can use all 70 points online at the 7 month mark to book? But is I were to buy a 30 point contract at SSR with a September use year, I would need to call to book at 7 months?
If they are the same UY and under the same master account, you can do it online. If it's a different master contract, you'll have to use them independently but if you transfer from one to the other, you'll have to call the last I knew.

If they are the same UY and under the same master account, you can do it online. If it's a different master contract, you'll have to use them independently but if you transfer from one to the other, you'll have to call the last I knew.
I would want it under the same master account, so I would just need to get another OKW contract with a September use year. Thinking my odds would be better with selling my current contract at some point and just go with one 65-75 point contract maybe at SSR.

I would want it under the same master account, so I would just need to get another OKW contract with a September use year. Thinking my odds would be better with selling my current contract at some point and just go with one 65-75 point contract maybe at SSR.
I'd certainly recommend you have a single master for most situations and certainly at the points levels you're talking about. You'll have a loss on the contract you're selling but for what you're buying it'll be a wash on the closing costs whether it's a smaller contact added to what you have or a larger one and sell what you have. The savings on 70 points total is very meager though, definitely don't make the same mistake of not having enough points going forward and having to revisit the same issue in a couple of years. For others reading, it's often possible to avoid this situation by planning and investigating up front and getting an appropriate cushion of points.

Believe me, 70-75 points will be a definite number. My husband does not want to board the Disney train as much as I like to and he never will. Everyone is different.

When booking with a membership/UY with several contracts, each contract will be listed and you select which contracts to use and in which order.

:earsboy: Bill

If it's the same UY and titled the same, then they should put the 2nd contract at SSR under the same membership number and you can pool points at the 7 month window to book online at 8am (no need to wait to call).

If you buy at OKW with the same UY, you can pool pts to book OKW at 11 months out or try booking other resorts at 7 months.

If the contracts are under the same membership number, there is no need to transfer pts in order to use the contracts together.

Believe me, 70-75 points will be a definite number. My husband does not want to board the Disney train as much as I like to and he never will. Everyone is different.
:) I am currently working on DH to get more points. We'll probably wait for a good price (they all seem way too high right now), but I have patience and can wait...

I am now in similar situation. I have 25 points (June) and 200 points (August), all at WL BR, just closed on the 200, sold our old June BCV contract. I think it will not be TOO bad to deal with. I have applied the first 25 (2017) and second 25 (2018) already, to a trip in June this year. I may use them like that, for first night of a split stay, or something.

The other option is transferring the 25 to the contract with the 200, but I have no idea how to do that. I will worry about that in 2019. I am ok dealing with the 2 use years, because one is only 25 points, and I go 2-3X a year to the parks. It was worth it to US, to get a loaded resale contract, with 2017 points, and 2018 coming in a few months.

How do you go 2-3x a year to the parks with 225 points a year? Do you stay in studios and do shorter than a week trips? Teach me, sensei...

I also have 2 UYs. I would recommend keeping all points at one particular resort within the same membership number/UY. It is just too complicated if they're sitting in different ones. My Feb is a VGF, and my June is a BLT. I am an organized person, and I have still had a few confusing things happen to me with them. I have no intention of adding on points to VGF in anything but Feb or to BLT in anything but June. It would just be a headache when I am short just a few points here or there.

Again, you pretty much answered the question I came on to ask! I have Aug VGF and Feb BLT and I'm trying to decide, IF we add on, where/what UY to do. I am pretty sure I don't want to get involved in managing an SSR contract, so then it comes to whether to have more points at BLT or VGF, and whether I can also look at Aug BLT or Feb VGF. But your post suggests otherwise.

Ok, I have more questions. Sorry, still learning. It is really important for me to be able to use all the points I will eventually have to book online at 7 months.

current- OKW- 40 points- September use year
add- OKW-30 points- September use year- its a go
add- SSR- 30 points- September use year- its ago
add- SSR- 30 points- October use year- (I would need to possibly wait until the October points become available to book each year)- yes or no with online, or
would I need to call in)

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Ok, I have more questions. Sorry, still learning. It is really important for me to be able to use all the points I will eventually have to book online at 7 months.

add- SSR- 30 points- October use year- (I would need to possibly wait until the October points become available to book each year)- yes or no with online, or
would I need to call in)

Your small contracts IMO will maybe become an issue when selling. As Disney increases the point requirements for reservations, 30 points won't get you very far and buyers may not want to pay the small contract premium plus closing costs.

Your Sept points can be used 7 months prior to check in buy selecting which ones to use online. Your Oct contract can be used 7 months by pulling up via drop down, that contract online. points have to be available for you stay, not when you book. All contracts need to be titled exactly the same to be accessed via one membership login.

IMO you should keep the same UY for all contracts, also I understand that you are excited as we all are but you should slow down a bit and use your ownership prior to adding on more contracts. You might discover that owning OKW and SSR doesn't allow you enough flexibility when trying to book at your newly discovered favorite resort. We have found our favorites, don't want to stay anywhere else, have contracts that we have sold and will sell more shortly.

:earsboy: Bill

would I need to call in)

IMO it is important in this situation. I’d either add on so they’d be combined or buy larger and sell the smaller. No way would I have 2 smaller contracts that are different masters.

My understanding is that with different use years, even if you can select which contract to use for online booking, you still cannot "pool" your points to have enough to book the a night. That's another reason to keep the same use year (and add on to an existing membership) unless you plan to use the contracts separately (i.e., use one contract for a spring vacation and the other for a fall vacation).

If that is incorrect, please correct me. :)

My understanding is that with different use years, even if you can select which contract to use for online booking, you still cannot "pool" your points to have enough to book the a night.

Right - when people talk about using their once-per-year transfer and having to call in because they can't see the transferred pts online, this is how that happens.

Transferring pts also limits you because transferred pts cannot be borrowed (although they can be banked), so you can't use 3 years of pts together as you can with pts that all fall under one membership.

Sticking with 1 UY and 1 membership is a much better idea unless you get a crazy good deal on that October UY contract...

would I need to call in)

There is never any waiting for points to become available to be able to book. It's always 11 months for a home resort and 7 months for a non-home resort. The thing is having points that are qualified to be used for the dates you are staying.

You also wouldn't have to call in for the October UY unless you had transferred them to your Sept UY contract or vice versa. Transferred points in different resorts or different UY's will not show up online to book. But you can leave the points in their UY's and book individual nights with your Sept points and individual nights with your Oct points and then call or email MS to have the reservations linked for a continuing stay. If you transferred you could always book the first night or two with the one contract and then call in to add the other night or two you wanted to reserve with the transferred points.

For small contracts like this though I'd really recommend against 2 UY's unless you were somehow going to use them separately.

We have 2 UY's and in general I don't find them an issue to manage and like having double the waitlists and being able to use the 2 UY's to get us extra cancellation protection because we have April to use for Spring/summer and Oct for fall/winter. However, I do have BWV in both UY's and while I make it work it's just a bit irksome to deal with. They were really good deals though and I use linking reservations vs transfers but in an ideal world I would have them in the same UY. If it was a matter of waiting a bit then I'd wait for the Sept UY.

Well, I finally found the "perfect" contract.

Same resort, same UY and all 2017 points are banked into 2018.

I think it will be easier to manage when it is under one contract.

Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed for ROFR.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter