Do different use years = different contracts?

disneyeveryyear

DIS Veteran
I am looking to buy more points, resale this time, and am having issues finding the right number of points with my current use year.

I don't have any issues dealing with my current main contract and 2 add ons, so I don't think it would be a big issues to have a different use year.

One question, however, if I get a second use year, does DVC consider it a separate contract. For example, would I be able to buy one use points 2x a year?

your main contract and 2 add-ons are all still separate contracts, but since they are linked under one membership number, they should work together seamlessly.

if you get a contract with a different UY month, yes, it will be a different membership and be more complicated to combine with your other 3 contracts.

but on the bright side, you would be able to buy 24 one-time use pts for each membership, yes. you can also set up 2 additional waitlists with the separate membership and if you use the different membership contracts for different times of year, you get a little extra insurance by using the best UY for each stay.

but if you aren't very organized and wind up forgetting that you have 2 separate banking windows, you also risk losing points.

your main contract and 2 add-ons are all still separate contracts, but since they are linked under one membership number, they should work together seamlessly.

if you get a contract with a different UY month, yes, it will be a different membership and be more complicated to combine with your other 3 contracts.

but on the bright side, you would be able to buy 24 one-time use pts for each membership, yes. you can also set up 2 additional waitlists with the separate membership and if you use the different membership contracts for different times of year, you get a little extra insurance by using the best UY for each stay.

but if you aren't very organized and wind up forgetting that you have 2 separate banking windows, you also risk losing points.

Thanks for answering my questions. I have one more. If they are separate memberships, I cannot combine the points for a specific night in a reservation, correct? Example: Contract A has 15 points left in it, and Contract B has 20 points in it, they cannot be combined for a one night reservation that needs 32 points, right?

Thanks for answering my questions. I have one more. If they are separate memberships, I cannot combine the points for a specific night in a reservation, correct? Example: Contract A has 15 points left in it, and Contract B has 20 points in it, they cannot be combined for a one night reservation that needs 32 points, right?
Not without calling and transferring points between memberships, subject to the rules about transferring and retaining the rules about use years.

Not without calling and transferring points between memberships, subject to the rules about transferring and retaining the rules about use years.

Thank you. That is what I thought, but my DH asked me tonight why I was focusing on a specific UY, which seems to be kind of difficult to find (at least right now). It got me to thinking about looking at a different UY, but I want to make sure I understand all the pitfalls of doing so.

Last edited:
In my opinion, you should only purchase a different use year if you’ll use that contract for a completely different vacation without ever combining points from other contracts.

I own two use years, but I use them for completely separate purposes.

But this only applies if it is same resort correct? Different resorts same UY are two different contracts/memberships as well right?

I am now in similar situation. I have 25 points (June) and 200 points (August), all at WL BR, just closed on the 200, sold our old June BCV contract. I think it will not be TOO bad to deal with. I have applied the first 25 (2017) and second 25 (2018) already, to a trip in June this year. I may use them like that, for first night of a split stay, or something.

The other option is transferring the 25 to the contract with the 200, but I have no idea how to do that. I will worry about that in 2019. I am ok dealing with the 2 use years, because one is only 25 points, and I go 2-3X a year to the parks. It was worth it to US, to get a loaded resale contract, with 2017 points, and 2018 coming in a few months.

Multiple contracts with same UY will all be under one membership. You get a new membership when you get a different UY and/or if the names of the owners on the deed are different (ie: husband and wife on original and then the add on but add 22 year old son to the deed....it will now be a new membership). So names on deed have to match down to spelling and middle initial or no middle initial and UY has to be same for add on to go in existing membership. They can, however, be different resorts.

I have two UY. One UY, or membership, has BWV and HHI. The other UY has OKW and BWV. When I need to combine BWV points from both memberships, I have to call MS and have them transfer one to the other. Then when I book with them I have to also call MS to book, cannot do it online. And you cannot transfer banked or borrowed points. You CAN bank transferred points (cannot borrow). It is messy to keep track of and can be a pain to use those BWV points in two memberships. I would only suggest a new UY if you plan to keep each UY separate and book separate, not try to combine.

You can get OTU points on each membership (UY). But you have to be making the resie on that UY.

If you have one membership (UY) with 3 contracts, you get to buy OTU points just one time per year. Not 3.

Last edited:
I also have 2 UYs. I would recommend keeping all points at one particular resort within the same membership number/UY. It is just too complicated if they're sitting in different ones. My Feb is a VGF, and my June is a BLT. I am an organized person, and I have still had a few confusing things happen to me with them. I have no intention of adding on points to VGF in anything but Feb or to BLT in anything but June. It would just be a headache when I am short just a few points here or there.

I am looking to buy more points, resale this time, and am having issues finding the right number of points with my current use year.

I don't have any issues dealing with my current main contract and 2 add ons, so I don't think it would be a big issues to have a different use year.

One question, however, if I get a second use year, does DVC consider it a separate contract. For example, would I be able to buy one use points 2x a year?
I would keep them together in most situations but there are circumstances where it's reasonable to have them separate and some where it's actually best. I too would suggest you need to plan to use them independently. For a full sized contract I don't think it's that big of a deal, for a smaller contract you plan to use in conjunction with current points, I'd buy a different home resort before I'd buy a different UY. But separate master contracts can give you the chance to have a better UY for different travel, additional wait list slots and an additional transfer option as long as you don't also transfer from one to the other.

But this only applies if it is same resort correct? Different resorts same UY are two different contracts/memberships as well right?

Different resorts but same UY can still be under one membership.

You would not be able to combine pts from different resorts until the 7 month window, however. At the 7 month window, you would be able to pool pts from both resorts to book whatever is still available.

I am buying a full size contract (looking for 150-175 points), so I guess I could keep separate, but I think I will hold out for a little while and see if something pops up.

I just lost one this week to a higher offer, but to be honest, I was kind of relieved. The seller was international, and it felt a little pricey.

we're in the same boat. We have a December UY. We want more points but December is hard to find what we want. I am thinking about getting a diff UY but at the same resort.

we're in the same boat. We have a December UY. We want more points but December is hard to find what we want. I am thinking about getting a diff UY but at the same resort.
For most in this situation for the same resort and where one prefers the same UY, I'd just wait. Even if it takes a few months and you have to pay slightly more, that'd still be better for most. I certainly would not do a different UY for a smaller contract I planned to use together with the other points. Otherwise I'd consider a different home resort to take advantage of the 11 month window.

Yeah, we’ve been looking. Contracts are stripped or 300+ points. We own at OKW so I’m not too concerned about the 11 month mark. I check openings all the time for a 2 bedroom and there usually is good availability.

Yeah, we’ve been looking. Contracts are stripped or 300+ points. We own at OKW so I’m not too concerned about the 11 month mark. I check openings all the time for a 2 bedroom and there usually is good availability.
Are you on the email list for several brokers? For OKW I'd certainly buy elsewhere, as you say, you can get in there most any time for a 2 BR. If you want cheaper, I'd look at SSR or BLT as the best WDW deals long term. Or you could pick up something that'll give you options you don't have like BLT or BWV for standard or AKV for value. Or you could look at VB or HH if you'd use either or even VGC or HI for some situations.

We’re the odd bunch, we like OKW. We stayed at AK and weren’t too impressed with it. Eventually we’ll need to move to a grand villa or split it up between a 2 bedroom and studio. But we have 5 kids and are in the process of getting 2 more. So we’ll need a large place

We’re the odd bunch, we like OKW. We stayed at AK and weren’t too impressed with it. Eventually we’ll need to move to a grand villa or split it up between a 2 bedroom and studio. But we have 5 kids and are in the process of getting 2 more. So we’ll need a large place
SSR Treehouse villa and OKW 3BR GV are the cheapest larger villas at WDW.

I got that you prefer to stay at OKW but my point is there are likely better choices to purchase even if that's the case, esp if you're having trouble finding the same UY anyway. You've said yourself yo don't anticipate difficulty getting OKW later. A different home resort give's you options you don't currently have and/or potentially saves you money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter