Do batteries lose charge when disconnected on plane?

SammyJayneC

Earning My Ears
Hello all:wave:

We are flying from the UK next Saturday, and I was wondering if the wheelchair battery will lose its charge whilst disconnected on the plane (9hr flight)?

Thanks

Sam:Pinkbounc :bounce:

it would take more then that to lose the charge. if the flight was about 2 weeks then it might lose some, just make sure you have a full charge the night before.

Just agreeing with pugdog. ::yes::
We've never had DD's wheelchair batteries disconnected, but we have left the power wheelchair at home, unused while we were on vacation in Florida. When we came back, it still had a full charge.

One tip though, if your ECV/power wheelchair is not used much at home, be sure and plug the batteries in for at least 24 hours once a month.

Hubby doesn't use his in day to day situations, but only in situations where there is lots of walking such as WDW trips, Atlanta Braves trips, Nashville Mall trips, etc. So sometimes it sits not used for several months at a time, so that has been added to our first of every month list. (Airconditioning filter, RidX for the septic, and charge the scooter). Then a few days before we need it to be used, we clean and oil the chain really well, pump the tires and give it a good 48 hour charge.

Carol

Thanks very much, that's really good to know. It should be alright in that case as she uses it every day at school.

not long now till we set off - how excited are we (can you tell its our first visit?!!):Pinkbounc :bounce:

Originally posted by SammyJayneC
Hello all:wave:

We are flying from the UK next Saturday, and I was wondering if the wheelchair battery will lose its charge whilst disconnected on the plane (9hr flight)?

Thanks

Sam:Pinkbounc :bounce:

A couple of years back I flew from London WITHOUT my batteries being disconnected. (I thought the ground crew always disconnected them, but apparently not always). They must have left the lights on (it has lights and turn indicators). I barely got from the aircraft to Mears at Orlando. The batteries recovered enough during the bus ride to get me through the Hotel lobby to my room.

I finally expired inside my room, but my wife had to push me the last few feet up to the nearest power outlet to recharge.

Now I always put the chair into free wheel and disconnect the cable to the controller before letting the ground crew take it away.
Andrew

Ooh dear! Yes I think that is a very sensible suggestion, we shall disconnect it ourselves and put it into free wheel - thanks very much (sorry about your experience tho'!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter