DMV-Renewing Drivers license -The real ID ?

I will have to go in next year, and my wife this year to get a Real ID in California. Since we can't discuss politics here, I can only say our lawmakers are IDIOTS IMHO for setting things up in a manner where our licenses don't meet Real ID criteria.

California driver licenses and state IDs are RealID compliant this year. There was nothing particularly political about which states did or didn’t meet the requirements.

California driver licenses and state IDs are RealID compliant this year. There was nothing particularly political about which states did or didn’t meet the requirements.
Other than politicians allowed non-compliant Licenses and IDs to be issued. 33 states need to do nothing to be compliant. 17 need to issue new licenses, including California. to be compliant
https://www.dhs.gov/archive/current-status-states-territories

UPDATE 6/29/2018
I stayed up all night studying. I went to bed about 3am after studying and taking a shower. I woke up at 6:10am and was at the DMV this morning at 7:10am. there was already a line wrapped around the front and side of building. DMV opened at 8am and I was let in the building for writing test by 8:30am. I didn't realize its all done on the computers. I went to one and it was logged in for drivers license application so I went to another computer and there was also two young guys getting ready to start their test too. We watched the video on our individual computer. It asked for my thumbprint but it didn't recognize it. Then I heard the other two guys say it wasn't recognizing theirs too. The lady came over to see my screen and I quickly shoed her my DMV renewal paper and told her I was told I needed to take this written test but its not on my DMV paper of whats needed to renew so do I need to take this test. She looks at it and says it doesn't state you need to take a test. I told her that's what I was told and showed her I was there the day before completed paperwork, did vision test and paid. She took my paper and did something on her computer, printed something out and hands me my new recipet and says "here you go you should get your drivers license in 2 weeks.

st

That stinks- but on a side note I would never show up to DMV without a reservation and time- last 2 times I had to go I walked in and out within 10 minutes with a reservation while other people that show up without one were sitting there for hours.

Other than politicians allowed non-compliant Licenses and IDs to be issued. 33 states need to do nothing to be compliant. 17 need to issue new licenses, including California. to be compliant
https://www.dhs.gov/archive/current-status-states-territories

I’m just saying there wasn’t anything particularly partisan or political about why one state did or didn’t reach compliance earlier. DHS also keeps on issuing waivers.

I’m just saying there wasn’t anything particularly partisan or political about why one state did or didn’t reach compliance earlier. DHS also keeps on issuing waivers.
I was referencing California where is was very political and partisan.

That stinks- but on a side note I would never show up to DMV without a reservation and time- last 2 times I had to go I walked in and out within 10 minutes with a reservation while other people that show up without one were sitting there for hours.
The only thing you make a reservation for here is taking the drivers test. Everything else is show up, get in line and wait.

The only thing you make a reservation for here is taking the drivers test. Everything else is show up, get in line and wait.
omg that stinks! so glad you can make appointments for everything here then- would hate to wait on line!!

I was referencing California where is was very political and partisan.

I don’t recall Real ID compliance being particularly partisan in California. It seemed to be kicking the can repeatedly because of the cost and because the feds kept on extending the deadline by issuing waivers. And right now California is issuing Real ID DLs and IDs.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-spot-real-id-20170604-story.html

Now issuing driver licenses to the undocumented was a partisan issue, but it wasn’t related to Real ID other than those licenses wouldn’t be Real ID compliant.

Now issuing driver licenses to the undocumented was a partisan issue, but it wasn’t related to Real ID other than those licenses wouldn’t be Real ID compliant.
That is my point. A political decision was made, which made our current licenses useless as Real ID.

That is my point. A political decision was made, which made our current licenses useless as Real ID.

California DLs and IDs that were issued before the state started issuing Real ID compliant versions are still valid for federal purposes until October 1, 2020.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/newsrel/2018/2018_01
There is no need to rush into a DMV field office. Until October 1, 2020, a valid California driver license or ID card can be used for federal purposes, including boarding a domestic flight and entering military bases or secure federal facilities. After that date, only a REAL ID card or other federally approved documents will be accepted, such as a U.S. passport, passport card or military ID.​

Yes it did take a while for California to start issuing Real ID compliant DLs/IDs, but I never sensed anything political or partisan about it. Several states other than California have just started (or even haven't started) issuing Real ID compliant IDs. Montana just authorized it last year, with cost cited as why they put it off so long. They're also charging more for them, unlike California where a Real ID compliant ID is the same price as a noncompliant one.

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2018/01/09/montana-prepares-start-issuing-real-ids/
Starting in January 2019, Montana driver’s licenses will no long be accepted to board a domestic flight or enter a federal building; however, state officials hope they will receive another extension to comply with the federal government’s Real ID regulations.

During the 2017 session, the Legislature decided that Montana would give residents the option of getting a Real ID compliant license. The compliant license will cost an additional $25 if it’s a regular renewal or $50 if it is outside of the regular renewal period. State officials say the additional fees cover the costs associated with producing the Real ID compliant licenses.

https://dojmt.gov/driving/mvd-faqs/#FAQREALID2
When will Montana begin to issue REAL ID compliant credentials?
If Montana continues to receive extensions from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), then beginning in January of 2019, Montana will begin issuing REAL ID compliant credentials. If extensions are denied, then Montana will begin issuing REAL ID compliant credentials as soon as possible.​

California DLs and IDs that were issued before the state started issuing Real ID compliant versions are still valid for federal purposes until October 1, 2020.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/newsrel/2018/2018_01
There is no need to rush into a DMV field office. Until October 1, 2020, a valid California driver license or ID card can be used for federal purposes, including boarding a domestic flight and entering military bases or secure federal facilities. After that date, only a REAL ID card or other federally approved documents will be accepted, such as a U.S. passport, passport card or military ID.​

Yes it did take a while for California to start issuing Real ID compliant DLs/IDs, but I never sensed anything political or partisan about it. Several states other than California have just started (or even haven't started) issuing Real ID compliant IDs. Montana just authorized it last year, with cost cited as why they put it off so long. They're also charging more for them, unlike California where a Real ID compliant ID is the same price as a noncompliant one.

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2018/01/09/montana-prepares-start-issuing-real-ids/
Starting in January 2019, Montana driver’s licenses will no long be accepted to board a domestic flight or enter a federal building; however, state officials hope they will receive another extension to comply with the federal government’s Real ID regulations.

During the 2017 session, the Legislature decided that Montana would give residents the option of getting a Real ID compliant license. The compliant license will cost an additional $25 if it’s a regular renewal or $50 if it is outside of the regular renewal period. State officials say the additional fees cover the costs associated with producing the Real ID compliant licenses.

https://dojmt.gov/driving/mvd-faqs/#FAQREALID2
When will Montana begin to issue REAL ID compliant credentials?
If Montana continues to receive extensions from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), then beginning in January of 2019, Montana will begin issuing REAL ID compliant credentials. If extensions are denied, then Montana will begin issuing REAL ID compliant credentials as soon as possible.​
It needed Legislative approval, and there were many heated committee hearings and floor debates in the California legislature. But since I am the Capital city, it may have been bigger news here that outside the Capital.

Apparently right now with Real ID becoming available in California, the wait time at California DMV offices has become up to 8 hours. Even people with appointments are waiting 2-3 hours. I guess it's all the time spent verifying the proof of citizenship, green cards, visas, etc that's just taking up way too much time.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/back-seat-driver/article213205334.html

The last time I was at a DMV office it was because I'd lost my DL. It wasn't too bad without an appointment about 80 minutes. Of course my previous DL was found, and it's still valid.

Make sure you bring two of each set of documents that are needed.

So if you bring your passport, bring your birth certificate too in case the passport doesn't read in their system.

A friend has had to go three times. For time they couldn't "read" the passport so a second appointment was made. Second appointment couldnt be found in their system. Then, third time waited the three hours at the DMV because the next appointment wasn't for a month. So had to take a copy of the birth certificate and fax it to the state. Up north. Still have no real ID.

Make sure you bring two of each set of documents that are needed.

So if you bring your passport, bring your birth certificate too in case the passport doesn't read in their system.

A friend has had to go three times. For time they couldn't "read" the passport so a second appointment was made. Second appointment couldnt be found in their system. Then, third time waited the three hours at the DMV because the next appointment wasn't for a month. So had to take a copy of the birth certificate and fax it to the state. Up north. Still have no real ID.

Really? I don't know if I'd really want to bring in that much stuff. I thought it was a lot easier when all you needed was proof of age and some sort of utility bill. I'll need to grab a copy of a W-2 also or maybe dig up my SSN card. Before the only thing required was to write down the SSN and California DMW would look it up.

However, a driver license doesn't need to be Real ID compliant. I always use my passport card. I prefer it because it doesn't have my address.

News sources are reporting that lines are outside the door in some offices like the main one in San Francisco (the one in the photo). They're also adding weekend hours.

920x920.jpg

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/sf-dmv-wait-time-hellish-nightmare-real-id-13075871.php

I heard one of the tricks was that if one just happened to be traveling through some remote area with a DMV office, go there. But with these lines there might be people going out of their way looking for shorter lines, which then becomes self-defeating.

Really? I don't know if I'd really want to bring in that much stuff. I thought it was a lot easier when all you needed was proof of age and some sort of utility bill. I'll need to grab a copy of a W-2 also or maybe dig up my SSN card. Before the only thing required was to write down the SSN and California DMW would look it up.

However, a driver license doesn't need to be Real ID compliant. I always use my passport card. I prefer it because it doesn't have my address.

News sources are reporting that lines are outside the door in some offices like the main one in San Francisco (the one in the photo). They're also adding weekend hours.

920x920.jpg

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/sf-dmv-wait-time-hellish-nightmare-real-id-13075871.php

I heard one of the tricks was that if one just happened to be traveling through some remote area with a DMV office, go there. But with these lines there might be people going out of their way looking for shorter lines, which then becomes self-defeating.

Yup, really. It was crazy. The first time she went (she started this process in March), she was told it would take about 4-6 weeks to get it (because they couldn't get their system to read the passport which is still good for another two years). She made an appointment at the DMV to come back again (5 weeks later). The second time she went was for that appointment that had been made - which was not in their system. UGH. She made another appointment, online this time, but it wasn't for another month. In the meantime, no Real ID was sent. So, she kept on getting the paper license that she keeps with her now-expired license. Rather than waiting another month (also looked at nearby DMV offices and they had an appointment one week earlier) - she decided to take an afternoon off from work and go to the closest DMV location, where she waited and was "done" in about 3 hours; was told they still showed her application "in process" but they took a copy of her certified birth certificate to fax "up north" (I guess to their main location) to hopefully speed things along. They finally gave her a phone number to call to find out what is happening if she doesn't get it in 4-6 weeks :P

For the two sets of documents, the main one she needed was to prove her identity so bring your passport/passport card and certified copy of your birth certificate, in case of issues "reading" the passport.

920x920.jpg

I got to the DMV at 7:15 am and the line was already around the building. Luckily they had a good set up and I was in by 8:30am . I was in there for 5 mins and luckily the computer was not recognizing my finger print and the other two people there. Perfect chance for me to show her my paper and ask if I still needed to take written test even though it wasn't on my DMV paper work of things needed. She said no and fixed the paperwork and sent me on my way. Instead of being mad that I wasted all night studying ( only 3 hours of sleep) and waited in line or that the lady before could have given me my license the day before. I was just happy to get out of there lol!

I checked my closest office, and right now it's saying about 40 minutes with an appointment and about 2-1/2 without. I suppose there are good and bad days.

The strange thing is that I heard there's a company that (among other things) is providing a service where they scour for appointments after cancellations become available and book on behalf of the customer. Supposedly this is for different government agencies. I think the California AG may be looking into the legality of it. Still - they may be trying to ride this out now, because after a few years it's not likely to be like this again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter