DME and Luggage Arrival Time

Christine

DIS Veteran
I just booked my DME reservation. Of note, after booking, was the statement that luggage make take up to 3 hours to arrive after hotel check-in. I read that over a few times to try to grasp what it was saying. Since check in is at around 3:00PM, I guess that means that I may not get my bags until 6:00PM possibly?

We have 16 people and all of us arriving at MCO at around 9:30AM. We are staying at GF so I assume we'll get over there by 11:30 or so and we were going to just hang out. BUT...we have a big dinner, birthday celebration at Citrocos. I'm sure some of us may want to change before dinner. I've never used DME before so I have no idea how efficient the luggage delivery is. I think if it's going to be an issue getting luggage from a 9:30 flight until much later in the afternoon, I may have to reconsider using it but I'd like to hear what your experience has been. Thanks!

Most of the time I've used DME my luggage has been delivered to my room within 3 hours. One time, however, they missed it at the airport, after a 9pm arrival at MCO, I didn't get it until the next day!

If you're really concerned about not having what you need for the dinner, you can pick up your luggage at baggage claim and take it with you on DME.

Last edited:
Short answer: Put things you need for the first 24 hours (e.g. toothbrush, swimsuit, dressy clothes for arrival day dinner) in carryons, namely hand carry those things.

Bags delivered by Magical Express should get to your room within 3 hours of when you can. This is really a semantic gimmick, to give DME something like 4-1/2 hours to process bags while advertising 3 hours.

But bags won't be left outside. If your room was not ready 3 hours after you touched the door handle the bags should be delivered as soon as a bellhop run can be scheduled after the room is ready.

Most guests who arrive during daylight won't notice since they will be getting back from a park in the evening.

It is not necessary to wait in your room for DME bag delivery for the sole purpose of tipping the bellhop.

At the All Stars and Pop Century, there is an evening cutoff for DME room delivery of bags, I think it is midnight. After that the next bellhop run is I think 7 AM. For a 9 PM arrival at MCO the room delivery target is around 1:30 AM.

To leave open the option for getting your bags at the carousel at the airport, do not attach the yellow DME tags.

Airline delays in getting your bags to MCO, which you won't verify if you used DME room delivery, will result in added delay in bags getting to your room.

Last edited:

Your bags should arrive within 3hours of when you check in at your resort. You do not have to wait until 3:00 to check in

Everyone should have everything they need for the first 24 hours in their carry on. It is not unusual for the airline to delay your luggage

I just booked my DME reservation. Of note, after booking, was the statement that luggage make take up to 3 hours to arrive after hotel check-in. I read that over a few times to try to grasp what it was saying. Since check in is at around 3:00PM, I guess that means that I may not get my bags until 6:00PM possibly?
Not in my experience.

You'll arrive at around 9:30AM. If your rooms are ready your bags should be in the rooms by 1PM. If your rooms aren't ready your bags might very well be in your rooms within a half an hour or so of getting the room ready text.

I think if it's going to be an issue getting luggage from a 9:30 flight until much later in the afternoon, I may have to reconsider using it but I'd like to hear what your experience has been. Thanks!
In this case, I suggest you not use the luggage delivery service part of DME. Pick up your luggage and take it on the bus. If your room isn't ready check them with Bell Service and ask them to deliver the bags as soon as the room is ready. Or stop by Bell services as soon as you get the room ready text and take them up yourselves. That way you can relax knowing you have full control over your luggage. You lose the convenience but you know for sure exactly where your bags are.

Pick up your luggage and take it on the bus.
Please tip the bus driver/anyone who assists with/handles your luggage.
If your room isn't ready check them with Bell Service and ask them to deliver the bags as soon as the room is ready.
Bell Services typically will not deliver luggage to an unoccupied room, unless that luggage was transported to the resorts on a Magical Express delivery truck.

Short answer: Put things you need for the first 24 hours (e.g. toothbrush, swimsuit, dressy clothes for arrival day dinner) in carryons, namely hand carry those things.

You should always do this. Much more likely the airline will misplace your bags than it is for DME to lose them. Anything you must have the first day should be in your carry on bags. And then you can let DME deliver the rest.

To the bold, not at Disney really
Check in is whatever time you walk in the door/lobby of the resort.
For ME purposes think of it as arrival at the resort, not literal check in
You may even have a room already, not unheard of at all.

But bags won't be left outside. If your room was not ready 3 hours after you touched the door handle the bags should be delivered as soon as a bellhop run can be scheduled after the room is ready.
I don't understand the bold part of your post. After you touch what door handle? There's no door handle to touch if the room is not ready
I mean, I know the process/procedure that Disney has for ME bags and how they are delivered, and when. But I can't for the life of me figure out what you are trying to say

Historically when I've landed that early the luggage delivery has been fairly prompt (still don't know how it beat me to my room when I stayed at Pop in 2010).

Last visit I landed at 7 PM and by 1130 it still wasn't delivered. So I had bell services hold the luggage until the morning. I think they delivered it within 10 minutes of my call asking it to be delivered.

Last visit I landed at 7 PM and by 1130 it still wasn't delivered
Just to be clear - and I know this Poster isn't complaining - landing at 7 means resort arrival between 8 and 9. Luggage could have been being delivered wihin minutes of the call. Or not.

Just to be clear - and I know this Poster isn't complaining - landing at 7 means resort arrival between 8 and 9. Luggage could have been being delivered wihin minutes of the call. Or not.

I think we were at the front desk at 815(ish). Somehow I did get a floral gifts order in my room before I got there though...I can't remember if it was 1130 or midnight by the time we gave up on the luggage.

Edit: And you're right, I'm not complaining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter