Dlp - ???

LauraCH

Earning My Ears
Hello Everybody!

After two fantastics trips to Florida, we're now thinking about visitng DLP for New Year with various different relatives.

I was just wondering if some lovely people could give me some hints of best companies to try (budget is of the essence!!)

Also, what is DLP like at New Year - will it be exciting enough for young children and (young-at-heart) adults?

TIA
Laura
x

;)

I visited DLP last year in December and both my daughter and I enjoyed it but there were some "downers" to the trip. I'll try to give a fair view on it.

Upsides, had some nice Xmassy themed shows and the decorations on the trees etc were nice to see. DLP if you haven't been before has some excellent rides and IMHO the following are better than their WDW counterparts. Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain plus you have the Indiana Jones ride which I thought was great fun. The journey on Eurostar was excellent and really made for a relaxing start and end to the break.

Downsides, THE WEATHER, we were lucky because it was just cold ( just below freezing) for most of the time, there was an hour of freezing rain and had it continued I would have left the park, it was really unpleasant. Going round a theme park in raincoat and thermals just insn't the same as shorts and Ts. I also found the park to be dirty ( cigarette butts everywhere) by US standards, there were a lot of local teens ( what's queueing?) who were also quite boisterous (AKA rude and banging into kids and adults alike). Quite a few minor attractions were closed ( animal area and the wildwest area) and it seemed some of the restaurants were running at reduced capacity, that may not be the case over Xmas and New Year themselves as this was Mid Dec.

I'm really not sure if I would go in winter again, so much depends on the weather, particularly with small children their ability to deal with cold weather is limited and 8 hours wandering around in freezing snowy conditions is not something many of them can cope well with. I did enjoy my trip with my daughter, because she doesn't live with me it was a good opportunity to get some time with her, so don't take this too much as a "DON'T DO IT" , but do be aware of the potential short comings so that if you do decide to go you can plan and pack accordingly and your expectations aren't too high. It won't be the same as a WDW experience, but that doesn't mean it won't be fun for all involved.

I booked the Eurostar direct on the internet and my accommodation was using DVC points so not much help to you there.

I posted this a couple of weeks ago, it may be worth calling this company to see if they have a brochure.
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=320794

The New Year celebrations at DLP are very busy, and New Year's Eve is packed. We done several, but decided that we'll avoid this holiday period if we can from now on. If you can postpone your visit until summertime you'll have a more enjoyable experience. But if this is the only time you can visit I would still say go for it - there is a nice Christmas atmosphere, and I'd rather be in cold/wet DLP than cold/wet London at any time of year.

Cresta/Bridge and the Paris Travel Service all seem to be reasonably priced, and the official UK DLP agent can be cheaper than other package companies. You might also find local travel companies who arrange coach travel to DLP and off-site accommodation for very low prices.

Regards

Rob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!