DLH standard vs Pixar Pool Terrace Club Level (gluten free?)

SteffyLou

Mouseketeer
Hi all.

We are looking at going to Disneyland for 4 nights in mid-July. We are a party of 4 with 2 kids (11, 9) and have twice stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. Our options this time are a standard room at the Disneyland Hotel or a Pool Terrace Club Level at Pixar Hotel. I am gluten free and do not know what type of offerings there will be. The difference between the two rooms is about $260 total.

We plan on going into the parks 3 days and using the pool.

Which would you choose and why? Does anyone know what type of gluten free options there are for Club Level?

I've never stayed in the Pixar Place Hotel, but I can tell you that (safe) gluten-free food is, on the surface, pretty limited for DLH club level. There was no allergen labeling, and it's not a very big space, so cross-contamination is highly likely. They had Kind bars and fruit during the snack hours. I don't recall anything much being safe in the evening appetizer or dessert hours. (There was cheese so I guess you could ask for cheese to be brought out separately?) I was surprised that breakfast wasn't a more expansive buffet, even for people without dietary restrictions - no hot foods aside from oatmeal at all. Definitely nothing made to order.

So I guess it really depends on how serious you have to be (allergy or high-reactive celiac) and how proactive you want to be in seeking things out. DH is celiac and doesn't take chances, and he always travels with his preferred foods. He definitely had whole bananas and Kind bars from the club offerings, and he's a huge coffee addict so he got a ton of use out of the fancy coffees. I think you could be more proactive than we were if you have time, and flag CMs down for help.

I'm curious to hear others' experiences!

I haven't stayed club level at Pixar Pier, but have at Disneyland hotel a few times. I wasn't looking specifically for gluten free, but I remember a few items:

Hard boiled eggs (Breakfast).
Cold cuts and cheese during all meal times.
Fruit at all meal times.

All of the hot items were carby when I was there. Like mini tarts, mini pizzas, egg rolls etc. Lots of pastries in the morning.

I haven't stayed club level at Pixar Pier, but have at Disneyland hotel a few times. I wasn't looking specifically for gluten free, but I remember a few items:

Hard boiled eggs (Breakfast).
Cold cuts and cheese during all meal times.
Fruit at all meal times.

All of the hot items were carby when I was there. Like mini tarts, mini pizzas, egg rolls etc. Lots of pastries in the morning.
Oh yes, there were cold cuts at breafkast! I forgot about that. However, when we were there, they had spicy deviled eggs instead of hard-boiled eggs. That was the only kind of egg. I ate them b/c I wanted some protein, and they were ok (not great).

spicy deviled eggs instead of hard-boiled eggs. That was the only kind of egg. I ate them b/c I wanted some protein, and they were ok (not great).
Oh, that's what I meant lol. Don't know what I was thinking when I typed that! They were too spicy for me, I spooned the filling out and just ate the eggs whites. I really wish they had a hot option like scrambled eggs.

Oh, that's what I meant lol. Don't know what I was thinking when I typed that! They were too spicy for me, I spooned the filling out and just ate the eggs whites. I really wish they had a hot option like scrambled eggs.
Hard-boiled eggs would have been better for DH! That's actually one of his buffet go-tos. I agree that they need something hot - literally any kind of hot egg and breakfast meat seems better than spicy deviled eggs and cold cuts. We have better included breakfasts off-property in some chains, to be honest. The drinks were the only thing markedly better in the club lounge - and only if you drink mimosas and/or fancy coffees.

This is all good to know. I do not have celiacs; I get a ridiculous histamine/sinus reaction when I eat gluten. The joys of autoimmune diseases.

Trying to figure out if it makes sense or if we should just use that money for a couple of nicer meals.

I worry the pool at Pixar is not anything to be desired.. that is almost more of my concern for the kids.

This is all good to know. I do not have celiacs; I get a ridiculous histamine/sinus reaction when I eat gluten. The joys of autoimmune diseases.

Trying to figure out if it makes sense or if we should just use that money for a couple of nicer meals.

I worry the pool at Pixar is not anything to be desired.. that is almost more of my concern for the kids.
The pool and hotel at Pixar Place have been entirely redone and just opened all of the new things. Not sure if you have looked at the new pool? https://disneyland.disney.go.com/recreation/pixar-place-hotel/pools-pixar-place-hotel/

We almost always stay at the GCH (and sometimes DLH) but stayed at PP in October when the others were sold out. It was also half the price of DLH at that time. The rooms had not been redone yet, but the lobby and pool had been. We have older teens so we didn’t use the pool, but it looked nice. I will say the walking distance (especially to DCA through the new entrance) was outstanding! We always lament the walk back to DLH compared to GCH, but I felt like PPH was almost as close as GCH (though not nearly as nice of a hotel, of course). For that trip, I was very happy to save the money and still be super close to the parks.

As for Club Level, we have done that as well. For someone who is very sensitive to gluten, I wonder if it would hold much value since many of the offerings would not be available for you. Can you just do a non club level room at PPH and save even more money to use for other fun meals and experiences?

I believe the Pixar Place club level doesn't open until June, so there aren't any recent reviews yet. They are revamping the space (and renamed it to the Creators Club). https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ge-coming-to-pixar-place-hotel-at-disneyland/

Although for specific dietary restrictions, I'm not sure if club level would be worth it if you are doing it mainly for the food offerings. If you value the club for other things, like having unlimited fancy coffees and a place to lounge, it may be worth it. Also note that if the club holds true to their previous closing time, it does close fairly early at 8pm.

Do your kids LOVE the DLH? If so, I may opt to stay there instead. Pixar Place is really cool looking, but it doesn't have the resort type feel that DLH has since it's all one building. For Pixar Place, their pool deck activities do look pretty fun, but I think that closes fairly early too. The pools at DLH would be superior in my opinion. Especially with the new DVC pool area.

The major drawback to me for Pixar Pier is that it wasn't a Disney hotel. Disney acquired it and turned it into Paradise Pier Hotel, which was fine but pretty sub-standard in comparison to the other 2. It was cute and the rooms were spacious, but the lobby was atrocious, it was hard to find anyone to help, and there were absolutely no grounds whatsoever. They had the pool on an upper level (where it is now) but it lacked the kind of pool experience you'd find at the other 2 hotels. As a plus, the upper park-facing rooms had fabulous views of DCA.

The remodel looks fantastic in the pictures (I've not seen it in person), but some of the original issues remain. There are no grounds, so the pool remains relatively small and there aren't any outdoor spaces other than that. It's starting to feel more like it's part of the resort, but I think you still cross a traffic street to get to the rest of the resort. The addition of the new gate into DCA is pretty great, though.

I think the recent upgrades and changes have been a huge improvement, but to me it's still not a "resort" hotel in the same way DLH and GCH are. That may or may not matter, and if the price is cheaper, can be considered an asset to some! When I was looking recently, though, the prices seemed fairly similar to DLH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter