DL Tickets online or at the gate?

redleader74

Mouseketeer
We're heading to DL next month and would like to know is there any benefit to purchasing tickets online at the Disney site vs. at the gate? Obviously you wouldn't have to line up at ticket office to buy the tickets, but other than that, are there any other big differences?

Thanks! We're only getting the 2-day single park ticket. But who are the 3rd party sellers?

There are only 3 benefits I am aware of buying onling over the gate.
1.) If you buy from a 3rd party seller you can save a few bucks
2.) Magic morning. Online you get 1 magic morning while at the gate you don't get one.
3.) Time: Buying at the gate can add up on time.
The only disadvantage is that you have to pay the money in advance so if you don't go your money is now tied up in the tickets.

exactly as @B3rlingirl has said

the early access option on 1 day of a 3 or more day ticket.
saving anything up to $50 a ticket depending on what type of ticket and from which authorised reseller

Last minute travel you can save $$ on 2 day tickes. You will need a membership(don't buy it) you can find a free membership code online. A 2 day 1 park per day is currently $207, 2 day park hoper is $255

There are only 3 benefits I am aware of buying onling over the gate.
1.) If you buy from a 3rd party seller you can save a few bucks
2.) Magic morning. Online you get 1 magic morning while at the gate you don't get one.
3.) Time: Buying at the gate can add up on time.
The only disadvantage is that you have to pay the money in advance so if you don't go your money is now tied up in the tickets.

Though, a benefit of paying in advance is that you will not have to deal with unexpected raised ticket prices from Disney.

Thanks! We're only getting the 2-day single park ticket. But who are the 3rd party sellers?
Check the sources others have quoted but I don't think there are any 3'rd party or advanced purchase ticket savings for less than 3 day tickets. Two ways you can save a little though;
1) If you have a Target Red Card you can purchase Disney gift cards and save 5% with the Red Card
2) If you shop at SAMS Club you can purchase gift cards there and save about 5%
Admittedly that's not much but does amount to about $15 per person over 2 days. That will buy you lunch.

If you buy at least a 3 day ticket you get a magic morning admission if you buy online in advance. Also you could buy from an authorized 3rd party seller and save some $$$...
Other than that there aren’t any benefits I am aware of.

I did not know this! I'm glad you posted this, thank you! We've never had magic morning because we've always either had APs or done 1 or 2 day tickets, and we've always purchased at the gate for those.

How hard is it to add Maxpass with 3rd party sellers? (Not trying to hijack, but this question seems related.)

I did not know this! I'm glad you posted this, thank you! We've never had magic morning because we've always either had APs or done 1 or 2 day tickets, and we've always purchased at the gate for those.

How hard is it to add Maxpass with 3rd party sellers? (Not trying to hijack, but this question seems related.)

You just add it every day through the app as soon as you're scanned into the park. It's quick and easy especially if you have your CC# saved in you DL profile and know you CCV #.

I believe that UT is now selling discount tickets with MP added. UT is an authorized vendor.

Also, for those mentioning MM:
MM is a perk for most 3+ day tickets (not military discount tickets). MM is good in DL only, in FL and TL only, on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays (unless Disney changes the day -- always double check your date!). Most 3+ day tickets come with one MM.

Thanks everyone. In that case I'm going to purchase at the gate. Afterall, we're just getting the 2 day single park ticket and we'll have a 10 month old with us so wanna stay flexible.

Thanks everyone. In that case I'm going to purchase at the gate. Afterall, we're just getting the 2 day single park ticket and we'll have a 10 month old with us so wanna stay flexible.
It can be worth the convenience to buy your tickets ahead of time either on the DLR website or app. Being able to skip the line at the booths and head straight to the gates is a big advantage, especially on hot, sunny days during peak crowd times.

It can be worth the convenience to buy your tickets ahead of time either on the DLR website or app. Being able to skip the line at the booths and head straight to the gates is a big advantage, especially on hot, sunny days during peak crowd times.
I second this. I did this a year ago. I bought the tickets on the app from the hotel right before we were leaving for the parks. No waiting in lines at the ticket booths.

I second this. I did this a year ago. I bought the tickets on the app from the hotel right before we were leaving for the parks. No waiting in lines at the ticket booths.

Definitely agree. I was just there last week, and while the crowds inside were lower than usual for summer, the ticket booths were still extremely busy. I noticed too that most transactions weren't simple, hi, I'd like to buy a ticket, quick exchanges. People took a long time at each window, probably asking about passes or taking advantage of the AP offer, etc. So the lines moved pretty slowly.

I agree with the above posters. Those DL ticket lines get long and move so slow. I'd purchase ahead of time to not have to wait.

Agree with all above. If you want to remain flexible but still avoid booth lines on the day-of, buy the day-of, but through the app. Super easy. No one wants to wait in the ticket booth line with a 10 month old...

Ok, so if I buy the ticket through the app (I already downloaded it) I'm guessing when you enter they scan some kind of bar code or something on your app?

Ok, so if I buy the ticket through the app (I already downloaded it) I'm guessing when you enter they scan some kind of bar code or something on your app?

Yes they scan the barcode from you app and they'll hand you a "paper" ticket and you can use either/or through out the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!