DL Stroller rules for "Stroller as a Wheelchair"

AliceinCH

Earning My Ears
We are going to DL for the first time and trying to find the best wheels for our 8 year old with cerebral palsy. She doesn't use a stroller at home anymore and outgrew the one from our last WDW trip. The Freedom Push Chair from ScooterBug seems way too big (for an adult--up to 200 lbs). I thought about buying a Joovy Zoom 360 (holds up to 75 lbs and she is only currently 61, so we could get several trips out of it) but it is 2" too long, despite being much shorter than the Freedom Push Chair. If I'm using the "stroller as a wheelchair" tag, will they make an exception? I thought about trying to find a push chair or another type of stroller but I'm not finding as many options in DL. Any help or advice is appreciated.

I think you can get a tag from Guest Services outside the park that will allow it, but there are other strollers that are up to 75 pounds that fit the restrictions as well (we rented a BOB Revolution for our 8 year old because of the 75 pounds limit.)

I'm not sure how the Freedom Pushchair fits the new mobility device dimensions, but it must be allowed since it's the only option for special needs through ScooterBug. The Joovy Zoom is much shorter, and the manufacturer's website indicates that it does fit Disney's size dimensions with the front wheel in the unlocked position. I would think it should be allowed.

But if you think you might use a stroller for several trips, it may be worth looking into buying a special needs stroller. Insurance may even cover it for you. We ended up buying (out of pocket) a Maclaren Major Elite when my DD outgrew the old baby stroller, and we used it for several years. I believe the weight limit is something like 110 lbs, but at 15 yrs old she still fits though we haven't used it for a few years now. It's a fairly basic umbrella-style stroller, so if your daughter needs more recline or other features, you'd want to research other options if you decide to purchase.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you! For some reason on the Citi Stroller Rentals page, it lists the BOB Revolution as a 55lb limit and I didn't check into it. It's sold out (as well as the MaClaren Major )for our dates, but I think I can get a BOB from another company. Thanks!

I'm not sure how the Freedom Pushchair fits the new mobility device dimensions, but it must be allowed since it's the only option for special needs through ScooterBug. The Joovy Zoom is much shorter, and the manufacturer's website indicates that it does fit Disney's size dimensions with the front wheel in the unlocked position. I would think it should be allowed.

But if you think you might use a stroller for several trips, it may be worth looking into buying a special needs stroller. Insurance may even cover it for you. We ended up buying (out of pocket) a Maclaren Major Elite when my DD outgrew the old baby stroller, and we used it for several years. I believe the weight limit is something like 110 lbs, but at 15 yrs old she still fits though we haven't used it for a few years now. It's a fairly basic umbrella-style stroller, so if your daughter needs more recline or other features, you'd want to research other options if you decide to purchase.

Enjoy your vacation!
Thank you for finding the info about the Zoom. I agree the Maclaren will be a good option for the future--whenever I'm ready to buy annual passes again! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!