• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DL semi-newbie advice

pezpam

DIS Veteran
DD8 and I will be visiting DL for 2 full days plus probably 1/3 of another day this February. I went to DL when I lived in SoCal, but that was over 10 years ago - DD has never been, though she has been to WDW. I think we'll be at Paradise Pier hotel and will get the 3-day tickets that allow us to go from park to park each day as we feel like it.

So, for all of you DL fans, what is your tip for us? Perhaps the one thing we should do, see, experience, watch for, avoid....... :teacher:

Also, transportation advice...... we'll be attending another event prior to going to DL. I have a ride from teh airport to that event in Long Beach - not far from the Queen Mary, I think. Is there reasonably cheap transport from LB to DL and from DL to LAX?

Thanks in advance!
Pam

my one piece of advice for now is "if you are staying at PP hotel, seriously consider upgrading to one of their "paradise" suites. If not that than at least pay for a garenteed DCA view." The view is so much more important here than other places!

My dd almost 6 and I are going back for our second trip in January. My advice is as follows:
1. go early, go early. get to the parks when they open and do the kid rides first. You can do in an hour what it would take several hours to do later in the day.
2, taje a break in the afternoon, go back to the hotel and rest, or swim, just take a break. it is amazing how a couple of hours off will make the days go better.
3, eat before you are starving. Otherwise you are starving when everyone else is.
have a great time

at DL "closing" means the time the close the queue to new guests. So, get in line for a ride 10 minutes prior to closing, then enjoy a very leisurely stroll out of the park after the masses have left. It is OK for people to make their final exit out of the park 60 minutes after closing.

but Im a really big fan of Ridemax, a software program that makes you a schedule for your visit. Wonderful!

Also have you checked into a car rental? For the short time of your visit I bet you can rent a car for less money than the shuttle services. I usually get a good deal from priceline. :moped:

Have a blast! :cool1:

Is a software program that was designed and is maintained by a true disney addict!LOL The way it works it that you enter the day you will be there and the attractions you want to do as well as the pace of your getting around and it produces a schedule for you. The cost is pretty low and you download the program, you can run all kinds of scenarios! Just go to www.ridemax.com

When I first used it I was skeptical because we were going during peak times and as someone who grew up really close to DL I knew the crowds would be insane. After our first day I was sold! I had the best time EVER with the assistance of Ridemax. Not only did we get on every ride we wanted to with minimal wait times but we saw a bunch of shows!(something I had never accomplished, lol)

Im now a big fan and was really sorry when we went to WDW that there wasnt something simular out for those parks. Were planning our trip back out to DL for next summer and I will definately be using Ridemax again.

If going to WDW may I suggest the following: www.tourguidemike.com

He explains how to enjoy your vacation, explains which days are the best for which park, and which times are the best to visit a ride or show.

I found his information very flexible to use. It is a lot of information to go through but well worth your time.

dwmlaf said:
If going to WDW may I suggest the following: www.tourguidemike.com

He explains how to enjoy your vacation, explains which days are the best for which park, and which times are the best to visit a ride or show.

I found his information very flexible to use. It is a lot of information to go through but well worth your time.

I'll second this recommendation! Just got back from a Thanksgiving WDW trip and I'm sure it was quite crowded, but we managed to dodge the crowds and never waited in lines longer than about 10 minutes using TourGuideMike's tips.

I was actually wishing there was a TourGuideMike for DL! Maybe I should check out RideMax, but the thing I really like about TGM is that he gives you the reasons behind his suggestions of a park tour plan and I can easily adjust to fit our needs. Doesn't sound like RideMax has that flexibility...

My tip is if you really want to see the 50th fireworks show, then before the last parade starts, get a seat on the curb directly facing the castle. No one moves after the parade and you will not get a seat for the fireworks. You will also be able to see a lot of the parade as it goes by on your right, but you'll have the best seat for the fireworks show as it is surround sound and lights. Lots of people line up on main street, but you can not experience the full show there. It is awesome right in front of the castle.

-We found it best to do DL in the morning, then hop over to CA in the afternoon. -At any given time, if DL is packed, CA is much better! Not as busy over there, but still lots of fun.
-If you have time, go to Turtle Talk with Crush 2 times. It is different and funny each time.
-Go to Aladdin, it is amazing.
-We saw Fireworks from the train station, the left of the castle, and the Riverbank. We liked the train station the best.
-Grab a piece of pizza or a burger, get it to go, and Line up early for the parade and eat!
-Get fastpasses. Remember, they don't expire at the last time (eg-if it says return between 3:00 and 4:00, you can go at 6:00 and it will still work!) That works awesome, as you won't be panicking to get back at the alotted time.
-Share meals. They are big at most places
-Goofys Kitchen is alot of fun!!
-You can ask to steer the Mark Twain if you are the first one up there!

-Read the Disneyland Trip Reports, they always have lots of great tips!

Have a great time!

My advice for food is to hit DCA instead of DL for meals. We discovered this on day 3 of three-day hoppers, just my luck! DL eateries were packed at 11:30 am, so we headed on over to DCA and walked right up to both Cocina Cucamonga (Mexican by Mission Tortilla folks) and Pacific Wharf Cafe (excellent soup/sandwiches by Boudin Bakery folks). Plenty of open-air seating and NO WAIT! Our experience was on a Thursday with moderate attendance (Dec 15) when DCA was open 10-6 and DL 9-8.

We also hit the Block Party Bash by picking up food from Taste Pilots Grill, walking directly across the street at the walkway and sitting down before the parade began. PERFECT location in the red zone there in Sunshine Plaza where the Toy Story float stopped.

For character breakfasts, we had great luck with Storytellers at the Grand Californian. We did a 7 am seating on a Wed when the park opened at 9 with no EE. Only maybe 5 families were at the earliest seating and we had great interaction with Dale, Terk, Meeko, Koda and Kenai. We're animal character people rather than princess people (I'm the only princess in my family!), so that was perfect for us. I also was impressed by the food at Storytellers.

Clearly, food is my main concern! LOL!

Have a great time planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter