DL/DCA and slipped disk in back

CRdisMom

DIS Veteran
We are headed to DL/DCA in 4 days. DH has been fighting with a disk in his back. He is good to sit, walk and be on the plane but standing on hard surfaces is a killer. I know the pass has been really abused and they can't ask for a Dr. note but can one get it for physically not being able to stand in line? I mean he'd be great just sitting on a bench while we waited in line. I'd push the trip off but this is a piggy back off a work trip so it won't happen for a long time. Any thoughts or suggestions?

No you can not get a pass for this I would rent a wheelchair so when he can not stand any longer he has a place to sit. As this is the only way to guarantee a place to sit

you can rent a Disney Wheelchair or ECV, but you cant take them off property.. you rent one from a local medical supply company this way you can use it back and forth to your hotel. or you can bring your own..

Disney will consider your husband to have mobility issues and the pass is for people with cognitive issues.. hope you have a great trip

you can rent a Disney Wheelchair or ECV, but you cant take them off property.. you rent one from a local medical supply company this way you can use it back and forth to your hotel. or you can bring your own..

Disney will consider your husband to have mobility issues and the pass is for people with cognitive issues.. hope you have a great trip

While I agree that a DAS would most likely not be issued for this mobility issue, a DAS is absolutely for more than just cognitive issues.

I have 3 slipped discs in my lower back so can sympathise with your husband. Standing is a nightmare although walking is not too bad. Can't help thinking an ecv would be the way to go. I always hire one and when things are good leave it somewhere central and walk but return to it when needed e.g. for long queues such as for the haunted mansion and waiting in line for shows such as fantasmic. The ecv is invaluable when waiting for fireworks etc as the floor is just too hard to sit on! Plus doubt I'd get up again! I also take a folding walking stick, the type with 3 feet rather than the tradiational type, as this is secure enough to lean on when standing. Disney is doable with back issues, just have to plan and pace. Have a great holiday.

I have had this issue as well, and went to Peru on Adventures by Disney. Had to have to pharmaceutical help, but made it through. Coming home on those long flights almost did me in, though. Not the flights themselves, but the long walks once off the plane. Did a wheelchair assist at Newark airport because we had to go through customs and connect to another flight. Best decision ever. Sitting in those little seats for hours can really stiff up the back muscles! So if you will have flights longer than 2 hours, consider the free wheelchair assist at the airport. You must call your airline to request it, and the airport does the servicing, but it just costs the price of a tip, and will help your DH immensely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!