Dive operators on Western?

TCPluto

DIS Veteran
Has anyone had any particularly good or bad expereinces going outside the DCL sponsored scuba diving excursions?

We have 6-8 divers going on the 12/6 Western cruise and we would like to know of reputable dive operators in Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Thanks for the help!

In Cozumel we used Eagle Ray Divers and couldn't have asked for a better day! Shellie and her husband run a top notch outfit. Everyone who used them on our cruise were thrilled. Prices were great, service wonderful...give them a try!

Loretta

Thanks Loretta, I just sent them an e-mail!

Any recommendations for Grand Cayman or Key West? Also, any other recommendations or warnings for any of the sites?

TCPluto-
We didn't dive in GC- we decided to do the Stingray city tour through Native Way Water sports. They were awesome and a terrific bargain at $25p/p. I'm not sure if they set up scuba. Bob Soto's is well respected. On the Cruise Critic board, look for BurBunny on the Princess thread-she is a fountain of info on diving (and practically everything in the world :rolleyes: )
When we go to the Keys for diving we use Kelly's on the Bay. I think they hav a sister out fit in Key West that they recommend. They do a super job in Key Largo:D

Loretta

Check out Divers Down in Grand Cayman they go with small groups, I think 8 max.

You might even be able to get a good deal on a private charter as that way you might be more flexible on times. They even offer as stingray city dive, not at the sandbar but the original stingray city. I'd go for the wall dive though, as I've heard amazing things about the wall dives in Cayman

I would go with Captain Marvins. I believe you can dive with them. We went snorkeling and went to sting ray city, and they are wonderful.

I've heard eagle ray divers was good. Before you decide, Make sure whomever you choose offers refunds or won't charge you if for some reason the ship doesn't make it to port. I emailed numerous dive companies, and made the first cut on our list, by throwing out all that wouldn't refund. We decided not to dive in Cozumel- and it would have worked out that way anyways, all water based shore excursions were cancelled by disney. The folks that took the boats to other areas.......... had a difficult time, and were a little green by the time they finished.

smiles Patty

I used Eden Rock in GC. It was within walking distance of the ship. We did 2 boat dives and than a shore dive. They were very good. My son is only 12 AOW and they gave him lots of freedom. The shore dive was fun because of the swim throughs. I'll be using them again.

I also used Key West Divers in Key West. Only 10 minute taxi ride. Aslo a great operation.

I also recommend Eagle Ray Divers. Cherrie is a transplanted American living in Cozumel with her DH. They run a top notch operation and we really, really enjoyed it. It was very private and the groups are kept to less than 8. They also combine scuba and snorkeling so while my DH went diving I snorkeled and saw some of the most beautiful fish ever.

Have fun!

I'm glad to see the reports on Eagle Ray Divers. We booked with them last year but had to cancel when the ship did not make it to Cozumel due to a hurricain. We DID NOT get charged. We have re-booked again with them for our Oct. trip and are looking forward to it.

Loretta or Buzz&Woody's mom...how much was the cab to ERD dock? Was it difficult to get there? THANKS!

Gosh I can not remember but you could check with Cozumel Mini or the thread titled Cozumel cab fares to see what is fare. It was no trouble at all.

But as a word of warning the cab driver dropped us off and there were already 2 other couples there so a total of 6 of us of the excursion which was great and private. There was no one else in sight including the crew. Make sure you print off the info Chellie sends you informing you which marina and boat to be taken to.

Have fun, it was one of the best excursions I have ever done!!!

I can't remember the exact amount, Under $10 for both of us. We shared a cab from the park at the end of the day (Not the marina we left from, that was under $20 for the three of us)
Correct statement about the marina, pretty deserted looking, but Chellie was there waiting for us and showed us where to find the boat...lots of skinny stray dogs roaming around.

This is a great operation, you won't be dissapointed. We were with Chellie, we talked that night with other shipmates that were with her husband, and they were just as pleased.

You are gonna have a great time!!!

Loretta

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter