Dissappointed (revised)

3DisneyNUTS

<font color=green>can't think of anything witty!<b
I just got off the phone booking the trip and Disney cruise line is insisiting that Chris be potty trained to be included in the on board activities for his age. We used our new vacation club points and asked if they would then charge him less points since he will not be able to be included in the activities and they said no.

This is really disturbing me since you would think that since Disney is family oriented and we just invested a ton of money buying the vacation club they would accomodate my family better. Plus it is just another thing that Chris gets excluded from because he has a disability.

We are in the process of training and I hope by cruise time he is fine but there is a chance he won't be and it is just sad that he will not be included in the kids activities :(.................................................................newly added................................

Well just got off the phone with our guide and he says that this is a common problem dealt with alot and although the rules say one thing they accomodate differently on the ship. He told me to just speak to someone once on the ship and they will help us :) YAY I feel better I will give a report after the trip :)

I'm very sorry to hear that.
just out of curiousity, who did you talk to? Was it someone from the cruise in general? from the kids' program or someone who was supposed to be helping with disability questions?
I do know that I have read posts from people who were accomidated once they were on the ships. There are health safety rules regarding child care workers who handle diapered children or toileting children not being allowed to handle foos (and there are good reasons for those rules!), but there are ways to safely accomidate.
For day care/kid's program situations in the US, they would not be able to discriminate based on whether or not a child with a disability is toilet trained. They would be required to make some reasonable accomidations.

I didn't get a name but it was the cast memeber I called to book the trip and she asked the disney cruise line while off the phone with me. So I got it 3rd person.

See what bothers me is that I would come and change him myself. There is no reason for them to even touch him. He even tells people if he has gone so they would just have to page me. That is why I am dissappointed in the response I got.

So we will see how it goes. I will be HIGHLY dissapponted if they don't figure out a way to accomodate us. Even if it means we stay while he plays. Anything it just isn't fair to exclude a kid with a disability. Also don't get me wrong he will be 4 when we take the cruise. It is fully expected that a 4yr old be trained but the dissability should not be held against someone either.

3disneynuts,
You need to talk to the special services once on board, normally they will be happy to work with you, it just has to be on a case by case basis. The ships are internationally registered so they dont have to comply with usa rules.but they generally do.
Aimee

Never been on a Disney Cruise to afraid that there will be to many strollers on the elevators and not enough room for both my DD's in wheelchairs to get in. However, we do go on Princess and I don't tell them that they aren't potty trained like other kids. The oldest one wears GoodNites and the youngest one wears Pull-Up's. The oldest one caths herself and takes care of all her bathroom needs the youngest one is 6 and caths herself but to be sure she does it I go to the kids program when she should go. They both are on bowel programs but accidents can happen. I get a beeper from the staff and in the event I am needed they will beep me. When I fill out the form on orientation I put on the form that they are not potty trained for medical reasons and it has never been a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter