Disputing with my husband. . . Please weigh in

And if your daughter never returns to Disney, which is the OPs plan, she won't remember all of that magic. Which is fine, if it is for your memories.

But the problem is, the father in the OP wants the children to remember it.

I only visited Disney once as a kid - I was 13 years old - and remember almost nothing. I'm not trying to tell OP what to do since she may only visit once, just relaying my experience and need for memories.

Anytime is a good time to go. Kids are kids once and you don't want to regret not going. Who knows if income or other home factors will allow for you to consider going when they are older.

I have 3 kids. First trip dd was 3 and ds was 10 months. Second trip 4 and 23 months. Third trip dd 6, ds 3 and ds 10 months. All magical. All awesome. Great pics for a lifetime and wouldn't have it any other way.

This is a pretty old thread. But I think kids really start to remember things starting around 3.5-4 years old. So it couldn't hurt. besides why deprive yourself from Disney for that long.

Aw, those are the exact ages our kids were on their first trip to WDW. They both remember different things, but what is important was being in the moment right then. So what if they don't remember everything? We all had a wonderful time together, and that's what is important.

My two cents: My first trip was when I was going on 8 and my sister was 10. I barely remember that trip and only remember bits and pieces but I remember being super happy my parents took us even for that one day because I understood how much it cost. I remember some of the dark rides that used to be a MK but are no longer there (but still at DL) but I think at that age, depending on the kind of kids that you have, some of the magic is lost. I know my sister at 10 thought she was a bit too old for MK and I also thought that I was at the edge of being too old. The magic that happens with younger kids is so awesome that I think it might trump the issues of memory. However the first visit to DW for my younger siblings was when they were 11 and 8 and they still had a really good magical time but I'm not sure how much they remember about it either honestly.

Anytime you go will be magical but I do think that sometimes waiting can be tricky with an age gap between kids.

I recently began planning our first family trip to Disney. My DS will 7 and DD will be 4.5 at the time of trip. My DH thinks they are too young and it will be a waste because they wont remember any of it. And in his words, "he's only giving the guy with big ears money once." He would prefer to put it off until they are 10 or older. I think its the perfect time and if we wait too long it wont be as magical. They may not remember but I will!

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

My DD was 2 when she first went, DS was 16 Months! The look on my children's faces when they both saw the castle and characters for the first time was priceless and a memory my husband and I will remember always!! They might not remember every detail of their very first trip, but Take lots of pictures and videos to refresh their memories! They LOVE looking back at their photo books from each trip! Its SO worth it - and I bet you'll be back!!! Our family is truly addicted and I'm sure you guys will be too!!!

Below was the first time my son met Mickey!! He LOVED "Icky", as he called him then!!!

View attachment 231131 IMG_6736.PNG

Last edited:
Sorry to say this but he is ABSOLUTELY wrong. This is the age that you want to take them. Your youngest will probably be tall enough for almost everything and they're both young enough to really believe. Our first trip was in November 2014 when my girls were 1.5 and 3.5 years old. After that trip I said we won't return for 5-7 years. But we made several rookie mistakes that we have since corrected. Long story short we have our 4th trip planned for this August where my girls will be 4.5 and 6.5.

My husband said the same thing initially. Our kids will be 4 and 6. I sold him on it by explaining that they are old enough to not have to mess with naps, but still young enough that even my 6 year old still legit believes when she meets a princess that she's really real and not just a person in costume. Disney will still be amazing without that, but it's an extra bit of magic we are about to outgrow!

Our first trip with the kids was 4 years ago. My kids were 7,5, and almost 2. Everything on this trip fell into place and it was perfect. We just happened to trade into Wilderness Lodge Villas for the week, magic bands were just rolling out so we could make FP+ reservation at the park on our app while we were in the park. We were in the parks 7 days and the longest line we waited in was Peter Pan for 9 minutes. It was a dream. We made a video of the trip and my youngest LOVES watching it! Even though my youngest won't remember much I will and my husband will. We are going back this year now that my youngest is almost 6. I pushed this trip up a few years because I think 5-6 is a magic number at Disney. My husband doesn't love Disney the same way I do but he loves it because the kids love it!!
With all that said, I must disclose that we live 2 hours from Disneyland and we go ALL. THE. TIME. To the point where the older 2 don't want to renew their passes they've been there so much!

We just took our almost 3 year old DD - partially because she was a Mickey's special guest (i.e. free) in December for 2 weeks.
Coming from Canada with all the exchange rates and transportation, it wasn't a cheap trip. On our 13th day, we said "I think we had enough of Disney. I think we don't have to come back for another 3 years, when she remembers and enjoys more, eh?" and my DD did say "I miss my house" when we were at Disney, and was happy that we're back. Guess what? Exactly 1 week later, we were all saying "We miss Disney World!".

My DD disliked the dark rides - to our surprise - and LOVED meeting characters - more of a surprise because she used to cry a lot when she sees them. The look on her face when she met Mickey, Minnie, other Characters, Princesses, even an ANT at AK! (yes, AN ANT!!). Her excitements, her joy, and just listening to her talking about how Mickey Mouse danced with her, how Donald Duck gave her a big hug, how she gave them a kiss on their noses and how tall Goofy was, it was totally worth it! We met over 100 characters over the course of 14 days - we have ran out of the signature book on the 10th day and that was 75 signatures.
She still says "I want to go to Disney World." and every time the weather gets warmer or we go nice places she say "Mommy, Daddy, it's like Disney World."
To her, Disney was a warm and magical place.

I am sure that she won't remember any of our family trips (we try to do 2-3 big trips anywhere from 1 - 3 weeks every year), but I am sure that the feelings - that she was happy with her parents - will last. It is really a memory for US not for her, but something that my husband and I will talk about when we're older, when our DD goes back to Disney when she's older, when she becomes a mom and when we take our grandchild/ren to Disney.

In fact, we may go back again this June! Much earlier than we expected!

OP - lets peel back the onion on this. -The following is coming from a father, self proclaimed Disney addict and former cast member. So when I hear this, "disney is to expensive" I ask what other vacations do you all take and what do they cost. I have found these type of stances routinely come with other issues other than the kids will not remember. With the right planning, cost can get whittled down. Like staying offsite or if you have RV staying in that.

Trust me as the kids age, their character preferences of change. What they may like now, may not be there 1-2 years down the road, until maybe in high school or college. If money is tight, I get the once in the life time. We are all ok with that here and there are lot of ways to get cost down. If money is not an issue, find out why Hubby is thinking so exp...

Maybe you plan a 1/2 day for dad- fishing or golfing or taking boy to gatorland(FYI bring your own hotdogs) or find what he likes to do at wdw. (FYI by dress off ebay/craigslist or Disney store on sale. not at the park 2X cost) You can PM with his interest and I can offer advice. WDW is just not about the kids. Heck you can put them in disney day care and you all go on a date night!!! the wife loved that.

BTW - I would love to put off my DD(13.9) dating until she was 25... But dont let life past you by. Almost 11 years ago, I can remember it like it was yesterday. That DD jumped up out of her seat on the boat ride from fort wilderness to the MK, coming around the corner of the contemporary resort and yelling out of the blue " There it is... there's the castle, Cinderella's castle"

OP - lets peel back the onion on this. -The following is coming from a father, self proclaimed Disney addict and former cast member. So when I hear this, "disney is to expensive" I ask what other vacations do you all take and what do they cost. I have found these type of stances routinely come with other issues other than the kids will not remember. With the right planning, cost can get whittled down. Like staying offsite or if you have RV staying in that.

Trust me as the kids age, their character preferences of change. What they may like now, may not be there 1-2 years down the road, until maybe in high school or college. If money is tight, I get the once in the life time. We are all ok with that here and there are lot of ways to get cost down. If money is not an issue, find out why Hubby is thinking so exp...

Maybe you plan a 1/2 day for dad- fishing or golfing or taking boy to gatorland(FYI bring your own hotdogs) or find what he likes to do at wdw. (FYI by dress off ebay/craigslist or Disney store on sale. not at the park 2X cost) You can PM with his interest and I can offer advice. WDW is just not about the kids. Heck you can put them in disney day care and you all go on a date night!!! the wife loved that.

BTW - I would love to put off my DD(13.9) dating until she was 25... But dont let life past you by. Almost 11 years ago, I can remember it like it was yesterday. That DD jumped up out of her seat on the boat ride from fort wilderness to the MK, coming around the corner of the contemporary resort and yelling out of the blue " There it is... there's the castle, Cinderella's castle"

Honestly cost really isn't an issue. I just put $6000 from our income tax return away. Assuming no major unexpected expenses come our way then all that money can be used for Disney and my husband would be open to taking that money and going on a different vacation. His concern is the kids won't remember going and will ask to go again and he doesn't want to spend that kind of money on it again. Honestly I just don't thin he wants to go. I think I'm going to get "my way" but I don't want it to be that way and I want him to be excited and not be a downer. I also don't want to hear I told you so if it doesn't go as planned! Fingers crossed he's like so many other spouses people have written about and LOVES it too!

I recently began planning our first family trip to Disney. My DS will 7 and DD will be 4.5 at the time of trip. My DH thinks they are too young and it will be a waste because they wont remember any of it. And in his words, "he's only giving the guy with big ears money once." He would prefer to put it off until they are 10 or older. I think its the perfect time and if we wait too long it wont be as magical. They may not remember but I will!

Any feedback would be most appreciated.
If you're never going back, I agree with your husband. If you will go someday again with the kids, I agree with you.

Went when kids were 2 and 4. And again when 3 and 5. Just got back from a Disney cruise kids were 4.5 and 6.5. Going back in October kids will turn 7 and 5 while we're there. My wife had to convince me they weren't too young for first trip and she was right. I say go now

We went for the first time when our kids were 6, 4, and 2. Even though the 2 yr old might not remember it (we think the 4 yr old will), we the parents have great memories and photos. It was truly the best family vacation we've ever had. The trips aren't just for the kids...

So - Here is the other thought I have on this. If the kids will never remember the trip, that voids all other vacations, trips to fun places, playing sports, buying ice cream just because.. they wont remember it. OP Please know I am not coming after you or the hubby. It's just so lame when a spouse has to be an Eeyor.

When did remembering something become a requirement for execution of something fun that may cost . I have been to way to many concerts that lasted only 2, maybe 3 hours and cost more than 1 day ticket it Disney that I don't remember and I know the next concert I will not retain, but I will still go. Same can be said for the golf I play or the chartered fishing trip..... Maybe for the spouse its the $150 for hair, or the coach/kate spade hand bag and $100 shoes that are worn 3 times.

Kids are a one time shot.

Honestly cost really isn't an issue. I just put $6000 from our income tax return away. Assuming no major unexpected expenses come our way then all that money can be used for Disney and my husband would be open to taking that money and going on a different vacation. His concern is the kids won't remember going and will ask to go again and he doesn't want to spend that kind of money on it again. Honestly I just don't thin he wants to go. I think I'm going to get "my way" but I don't want it to be that way and I want him to be excited and not be a downer. I also don't want to hear I told you so if it doesn't go as planned! Fingers crossed he's like so many other spouses people have written about and LOVES it too!

Honestly, I think you dont even need $6000 for your trip! Our family of 4 is spending about $3300 for 7 nights 6 park days, quick service meal plan at pop century. Why not say hey, lets take $4000, stay for 5 days, see how it goes. If we have a great time, plan to go back in a few years, and weve got a $2000 head start.

The key to get a reluctant person ( because yes, it is a lot of money) on board is to make it as easy as possible for them. Do a touring plan so you dont have to stand in line long, figure out now which places have food your kids like, etc. Then just go and enjoy. With it all prepaid, its more enjoyable.

Life can be unexpected, both bad and good. But if you go and have a wonderful family experience, and all talk about if afterwards over and over how wonderful it was, I bet you'll go back again.

I think they are great ages, especially if both kids love Disney now. Some kids may start saying "Disney is for babies" as early as 7 or 8 because of the influences by friends at school... :scared: I think I read that on DIS.

We waited until our DD was 3 for our first Disney trip. That was the age we thought she would be able to enjoy a Disney trip. DH was not a big fan of Disney, but he was saying "You have to go to Disney at least once if you have a kid" and we took a Disney cruise that included 1 day stop at WDW. The magic was all real through 3-year-old's eyes. I remember DD's face the first time when she saw the castle and when she rode Ariel's ride.
DH was impressed with Disney, and did not object when I suggested to go back the following year. I really wanted to go during October to enjoy the Halloween party and the low-crowd season, and that had to be before she would start kindergarten. At 4.5 DD was able to enjoy many rides, met all the princesses (her princess stage was at max at that time), and had enough energy to walk around on her own. After 1 week at WDW we were exhausted, but that was one of the best trips ever. DH is not into theme parks or coaster rides, so he is not eager to go back. But he liked what Disney offered and mostly impressed with the services we received. So he was fine to go back to Disney cruise one more time, and now he still talks about going back to Disney cruise again. :)

Does DD remembers those trips? Not everything. She says she remembers Belle reading her a book during her first cruise, but I can't tell if she really remembers or she is saying that because she has seen a pic of it. I take many pics every trip and we like looking back those pics, they are great for keeping our memories alive. Kids remember wired things.... my DD may not be able to tell me about the first time she got a hug from Mickey, but she may tell me about something she ate at somewhere I can't even remember.

Maybe you could try a trip that include 1 or 2 days stop at WDW to test the water? Hopefully your husband will go with open mind and enjoy the moment. Things could go wrong, but that could happen anywhere even at a relaxing beach resort. Hope you have a wonderful family vacation! :)

We have been going to Disney World for over 10 years now.
We go with Wife's Sister her husband & the kids.
The 2 oldest for they're first trip were 8 & 6. The memories we have from that trip are truly Magical.
Personally I believe Kids may not remember so much from those first Trips but as parents seeing they're eyes light up when they see they're favourite characters is priceless.
Recording those memories on Cameras through photos or videos are well worth it.
Don't wait or you will miss a great opportunity, the youngest 2 that have been going each year are now 7 & 9.
Both went as babies & were with us last year at Fort Wilderness.
This year it's Port Orleans Riverside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter