Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the subject of bunk bed rooms and possible refurbishments. I had booked 3 weeks for June 2020 in the YC and called up today to change to WL courtyard view. I asked for a request to be noted for 2 queen beds rather than a bunk bed room. The lady informed me that they are doing away with the bunk beds and as of June 2020 all room will have 2 doubles/queens.

Take from that what you will 😃

While I can’t comment on the date, June 2020 (whic may or may not be accurate :confused3), I can confirm that the plan is to do away with the bunk beds during the refurbishment. That’s also the case at AKL, which is currently in the midst of their refurbishment.

We really enjoyed our week long stay at WL! I honestly could have stayed here and not even gone to the parks, it's so relaxing and really feels like you're out in the middle of nowhere. I was so surprised how close it really is to Contemporary and MK without feeling like it.
I would have probably booked a nature view but with the military discount- and the fact that I booked less than two months out- they only had courtyard view. We were on the second floor and I was worried about the pool noise but honestly it wasn't a bother at all. Our rooms faced right out to the pool and even in the middle of the day during all the activity and games you could only really hear it if the balcony door was open. We did hear the boat horns at night when we were trying to sleep but it still wasn't a major issue.
We got the bunk bed room and regular room connecting as requested so that was a plus since they can't ever guarantee that. DS2 and GF2 where both comfortable in the bunk beds, though DS2 who is 5'10 said he wished it was a little higher because he thought he was going to hit his head on the top bunk when he got up in the morning, which he never did. They liked that there were lights over each bunk and I liked the easy switch on light on each side of the queen bed. The shower was perfect for the four of us to share sine the tub edge is wide for all of our toiletries to go on and the vanity area had plenty of room as well, both counters and underneath. I found the blow dryer worked well and had a diffuser attachment included.
Our room was pretty far down the corridor so we found we could walk to the end and down one flight of stairs to the door right out to the boat dock. That was great when going to and from MK and Ft. Wilderness when we did Hoop Dee Doo. On the other hand, it was still just a quick walk down the hall to the elevator and down one floor and another quick walk to Roaring Forks where we could fill up our mugs or get breakfast, snacks, or a late night dinner. We did this several times since we seemed to be not as hungry during the hot days, but by the time we got back to the resort we'd want to eat. There were a lot of good options so everyone was happy. DH, DS1, and GF1 really like the grilled cheese, DS2 liked the burger best, GF2 loved the pulled pork sandwich, and my fav was the roast beef sandwich. The "kids" stayed at MK a little later than us one night and grabbed wings from Geyser Point to go which they enjoyed. It would have been nice to sit out and enjoy the water front atmosphere there if it were not so hot. Our first day's breakfast was at Whispering Canyon, and while it's not as wild and fun as I remember in years past, we still had a great time. Our CM was top notch and we really enjoyed him. Everyone got the traditional skillet but me- I got the lighter side one (that oatmeal is heavenly). I love that they've changed it to three different options now so everyone can get what they want. We all were thoroughly stuffed.
The lobby area is fantastic and I especially loved the comfy chairs where you could look out at the little bridge and "creek" as well as the rocking chairs in front of the fire place. Even in the heat of summer it still felt like we were at a cool mountain retreat. We had fun at the pool on our down day and never felt like it was over crowded. The CM's leading the games and stuff for the kids were doing a fantastic job while not being too loud or annoying. I love the waterfall and creek that runs into the pool.
All the staff we encountered- from Mousekeeping to front desk to merchandise- were terrific. We stopped at the pin trading board daily and had a nice chat with just about everyone working there. We also got to chat with those CM's in the Mercantile. I'm on a mission to stay at every regular Disney resort, but I will definitely rank WL high on my list of favorites. I aim to come back in the fall or winter one day- Christmas time would be my dream!

Thanks for the thorough post! We haven’t stayed at WL in four years and we are so happy to return as it is where we stayed most when the kids were super little. Our goal was also to stay at all deluxe resorts (maybe not SS and OKW). We still need GF and BWI. We are doing our first split stay with BWI next month. We did a week at Beach club and two days in asked to come to the lodge. We missed it so much. AKL is the only other hotel that has this feel. We don’t need to stay anywhere else!!!

It was not noisey to me, never heard any of the pool noise. and we went to bed early some nights.
The great thing about Geyser pool is that it's surrounded by trees which might make any noise from the pool area dissipate. If you are concerned about enjoying WL, just wait until you see the main check in lobby there - it is something really special!

While I can’t comment on the date, June 2020 (whic may or may not be accurate :confused3), I can confirm that the plan is to do away with the bunk beds during the refurbishment. That’s also the case at AKL, which is currently in the midst of their refurbishment.
Actually I really like this change - sounds much more comfortable..

Whats everyone’s thoughts on a courtyard view room at ground level ( first floor I think ) I assume they all have a small patio area?

It’s appealing being able to walk out the sliding doors to the pool, food court etc but Im worried the rooms could be quite noisy ? I don’t think Ive ever had a room below the 4th floor before.

Thanks

I have never booked a "pool view" for this reason either, but I wasn't sure if the courtyard view would actually be right by the pool or further away. I honestly wasn't that concerned since we don't have little kids, but it turned out that being 2nd floor with the pool directly in front of us wasn't an issue at all.

Oooh, glad we got to try the bunk beds while we could- they were really cute! The reason we wanted them is because our DS2 (19) and his GF (18) were traveling with us and obviously aren't going to sleep in the same bed. We booked a room for DS1 (23) and his GF and asked for adjoining rooms, but needed a back up plan in case that couldn't be accommodated. Last year we got adjoining rooms at POR so she slept on one of their queen beds. Turns out this year we were also lucky and got adjoining rooms, but they chose to use the bunk beds anyway.
When we were kids and traveled, even if it was to stay with family, my brother and I always had to share a bed. I could see how for some families who have a boy and girl the bunk bed option is nice though!

On the subject of bunk bed rooms and possible refurbishments. I had booked 3 weeks for June 2020 in the YC and called up today to change to WL courtyard view. I asked for a request to be noted for 2 queen beds rather than a bunk bed room. The lady informed me that they are doing away with the bunk beds and as of June 2020 all room will have 2 doubles/queens.

Take from that what you will 😃
I noticed when booking for July 2020 that none of the bunkbed rooms were available.

Will their be doubles though? I’d rather 2 queens, especially with the prices I’m paying. We need 2 beds because we are traveling with our daughter.

We have a Studio Villa at Boulder Ridge booked for September.
Just wondering if we can still walk to Fort Wilderness?
We will have a double stroller, we have an ADR at Trails End for dinner and then want to do the Chip & Dale campfire after.
Would it be easier to take a bus or walk? How long is the walk and is it a safe walk at night?

No the walking path is closed due to the construction project for new Resort / DVC being built a the old River Country water park site. The fastest way would be to take a water launch from the WL dock to Fort Wilderness. It is a short walk to Trails End from the boat dock.

Dave

No the walking path is closed due to the construction project for new Resort / DVC being built a the old River Country water park site. The fastest way would be to take a water launch from the WL dock to Fort Wilderness. It is a short walk to Trails End from the boat dock.

Dave
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought I read somewhere it was closed but needed it confirmed.
We will take the boat then. I'm a bit upset, I heard the walk was nice and we could see wildlife, I'm sure my 3yo would have loved it.

Dave
I was wondering the same thing even though I hadn't posted the question - Thank you for the information! I think we may go to Trails End for a meal at some point during our upcoming WL stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter