Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we rented points and are staying in a dedicated 2 bed villa at BRV next June. The DVC member we rented points from has asked if we'd be interested in looking at 7 month availability at other DVC resorts, which is coming up this month. I really don't want to stay anywhere other than WL, but I'm contemplating a 2 bed at CCV (obviously, if available at 7 months).

We are 5 adults (although it looks like one adult might not be going), one teenager, and one toddler. We have three WDW first timers in the group, and three, including me, who have stayed at WL before.

Thoughts on BRV vs CCV:
BRV rooms are larger
CCV has longer balconies
CCV is in main Lodge, BRV short walk away
BRV is very close to busses
CCV is new, and although the laminate is harder for a toddler to fall on, it's easier for clean up
CCV is closer to restaurants and QS and boat

What am I missing? What are your thoughts?

We own at BRV. Your points are good. In general? BRV will be "older", but quieter. I suspect renting CCV points vs BRV points will result in an up-charge.
We LOVE BRV - already booked NOV 2018 and APR 2019.

Oddly, they are the same amount of points, same price, if there is availability at 7 months out.

Thanks for the info about BRV! I love WL in general, so I'm okay with either.

What am I missing? What are your thoughts

I love both places and would consider either a "win". The differences you noted in your post aren't really major differences, ie the rooms aren't that much larger/smaller, the distance from amenities isn't enough to warrant any concern, and the newer vs older doesn't necessarily mean better/worse. Most of the pros and cons really come down to personal preference. so if you have one, just go with that. But you'll love the resort regardless of where you end up staying. Good luck and have a great trip!

Just back from our week stay at Boulder Ridge. Checking in they really didn’t win me over. When we pulled up in our car no one came over to help us unload. My husband went and got a cart and unloaded the car himself. When he went and parked the car I pushed the cart over towards the valet stand and the guy there said, “can I help you” I answered “well we had to unload the car ourselves. Now my husband is parking the car” he responded “Ok” and walked away. We pushed the cart to the desk to checkin and to the room ourself.
Once entering Boulder Ridge was great! The smell is so outdoorsy. The fireplace is so cozy. Our room was 1537, studio. So close to the bus stop! You walk out the back door and the pool was right behind our room. It was a short walk to the boat stop, maybe 2 minutes. It was a super short walk to Geyser Point Bar and Grill you can refill your mug there and the Bison Burger and Banana Cabana are on point. The only thing I felt the room was missing was a freezer section in the fridge. Overall, we really loved the resort just not the customer service.

Just back from our week stay at Boulder Ridge. Checking in they really didn’t win me over. When we pulled up in our car no one came over to help us unload. My husband went and got a cart and unloaded the car himself.

We've encountered this multiple times when arriving on magical express. You would think they would know people are being dropped off and may need assistance, especially because there is either a set of stairs to walk up or a long walk around for the ramp. But nope, nobody there, and trying to find someone to help is a challenge.

WL is the only WDW resort we have stayed at where we have experienced this issue. Multiple times over multiple years, so it seems something is fundamentally broken...

SW

Any word on when the Christmas tree is going up in the lobby? We're heading down in a week, and my fingers are crossed that it will be up!

So we rented points and are staying in a dedicated 2 bed villa at BRV next June. The DVC member we rented points from has asked if we'd be interested in looking at 7 month availability at other DVC resorts, which is coming up this month. I really don't want to stay anywhere other than WL, but I'm contemplating a 2 bed at CCV (obviously, if available at 7 months).

We are 5 adults (although it looks like one adult might not be going), one teenager, and one toddler. We have three WDW first timers in the group, and three, including me, who have stayed at WL before.

Thoughts on BRV vs CCV:
BRV rooms are larger
CCV has longer balconies
CCV is in main Lodge, BRV short walk away
BRV is very close to busses
CCV is new, and although the laminate is harder for a toddler to fall on, it's easier for clean up
CCV is closer to restaurants and QS and boat

What am I missing? What are your thoughts?
I echo most of these comparisons/contrasts. I suspect it would all depend on a) how curious you are to see the new CC rooms and b) how close to the action you wish to be. If counting steps, the bus stop is almost exactly the same depending on where you are in either resort. If you're toward the end of the VWL building (I don't call it that new, rather insipid name), then that would compare favorably with most rooms at CC. As for the flooring, VWL's refurbishment about three years or so ago added wood laminate flooring, so I don't know how much softer of a landing it would be for a kiddo. CC is definitely closer to restaurants, but it comes with a bit more noise and hubbub than VWL and its more detached location. . .though for some that's a plus. As others have suggested, either would be a good choice. CC is newer but smaller; VWL larger but a bit darker. I prefer being away from the main Lodge since what originally sold me on VWL was feeling I could step away from the madding crowds that define Disney. It's gotten harder to do that now with all the construction and the new cabins and the removal of the nature trail, et. al. As for customer service, I've stayed at WL many, many times over the years and had one time when the valet staff wasn't timely. On the other hand, I've stayed at BLT and yet to have a good valet service there. Stayed once at BCV and had mediocre service. Old Key West help was non-existent. However, I realize that things happen, so I try not to let those episodes affect my decision to stay at a particular resort. Good luck with your decision!

... The only thing I felt the room was missing was a freezer section in the fridge. Overall, we really loved the resort just not the customer service.
The undercounter refrigerators in the DVC studios used to have a small freezer secton but they have been slowly removing those types of refrigerators because they said they had lots of problems with them. All the newer ones have no freezer section.

room 4003 continued

We had a great housekeeper, one that we have had two other times when staying at the WL and she was really good to us. She left us a few towels animals, but this one stood out:

View attachment 358205

I loved sitting on the balcony in the morning with a cup of coffee and took plenty of pictures with my iPhone 5se.

View attachment 358207

Those lights are from the walkway to the boat dock. I am looking slightly toward the right.

View attachment 358208

This view is the straight ahead view, We could see people walking to the boat from our balcony.

View attachment 358209
This is the view of the walkway to the cabins on our left. I could also see the MK fireworks from this balcony if I hung out really far over the railing. ;) I preferred to watch them from Geyser Point where the music is piped in.

View attachment 358210

This is a little bit better view of the main pool from the balcony, but as you can see there are a lot of trees. They geyser is behind these trees, too, but it was really hard to see anything more than just a little bit at the top.

View attachment 358211

You can see how close our room was to the walkway in this picture. It was nice to people watch from the balcony because no one noticed us there, even though we had open railings. :)
People may have noticed some random LIKES for posts a month or 2 back to now. I booked a last minute trip Thanksgiving weekend at WL then AP for the deluxe popped up so I took it.

You took so many pictures that I couldn't seem to find in one place! Thx!

So disappointed about the toiletries.... anybody hear if cl is keeping the bigger bottles?

Any word on when the Christmas tree is going up in the lobby? We're heading down in a week, and my fingers are crossed that it will be up!
Tree and decorations for all of the resorts usually go up starting the weekend before TG

There is a “lottery” of sorts to determine the order

Last 2 years the tree at WL went up around 11/20 IIRC

It’s almost magical, you go to bed and wake up the next morning with all the decorations up and the resort is totally transformed

Tree and decorations for all of the resorts usually go up starting the weekend before TG

There is a “lottery” of sorts to determine the order

Last 2 years the tree at WL went up around 11/20 IIRC

It’s almost magical, you go to bed and wake up the next morning with all the decorations up and the resort is totally transformed
I recently watched the decorating Disney special on demand from Freeform last year. I would love to book a room at the CR in a theme park view room and watch the progress in MK on the night of the last MNSSHP!

room 4003 continued

We had a great housekeeper, one that we have had two other times when staying at the WL and she was really good to us. She left us a few towels animals, but this one stood out:

View attachment 358205

I loved sitting on the balcony in the morning with a cup of coffee and took plenty of pictures with my iPhone 5se.

View attachment 358207

Those lights are from the walkway to the boat dock. I am looking slightly toward the right.

View attachment 358208

This view is the straight ahead view, We could see people walking to the boat from our balcony.

View attachment 358209
This is the view of the walkway to the cabins on our left. I could also see the MK fireworks from this balcony if I hung out really far over the railing. ;) I preferred to watch them from Geyser Point where the music is piped in.

View attachment 358210

This is a little bit better view of the main pool from the balcony, but as you can see there are a lot of trees. They geyser is behind these trees, too, but it was really hard to see anything more than just a little bit at the top.

View attachment 358211

You can see how close our room was to the walkway in this picture. It was nice to people watch from the balcony because no one noticed us there, even though we had open railings. :)
Thanks again Sue.

I just showed dh your pix. He kept saying he wouldn't stay at wl (too dark)but has learned after our last bwi stay that sometimes a non gf room can work lol.

He :laughing: about that alligator towel !

He says it looks nice and is now looking forward to our stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter