Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Just returned from a week stay at Port Orleans Riverside. We did our planning home work for everything BUT the resorts .... While we enjoyed our stay, there were a few bumps that we should have looked into when planning.

We were a family of 10. 3 families with one family having 5 members. This is what directed us to stay at POR. However, we also had 2 ECV's being used in our group. I asked for ground floor rooms, which we did receive. What we didnt know was that you still had to find the handicapped ramp to get up the 3 stairs to the rooms. This was the challenging part. We arrived early in the day and went right to the parks. We returned late in the evening and after finding our building, we then had to find the handicapped ramp and then follow it all the way around to our room. The ramp was not clearly marked.. especially at night. We were in building 36. We found that some other buildings had clearly marked ramps with rails. We had a standard view room and we had to go around what seemed like the entire building with tight turns to get to our room.
I had also asked to be in a building as close to the main area as possible. Well, we were in fact at the farthest point from the main area. I get it... not everyone can be up front and again, we paid for a standard view so way in the back we went. This did place us close to the first bus stop...which was very helpful with the scooters... but we were too tired to go to the main building for a drink in the evening when we returned from the parks.
Our room was very nice, clean and newly refurbished. We had plenty of towels and soap ( although I did have to call to get a new bottle of body wash the first night when our bottle was totally empty).
BUT.... WHY did they have to make the platform beds so HIGH!!!!????????? I am a shorter adult standing at 4 feet 10 inches and the top of the mattress came up to my belly button!!!!!!! I struggled to get into bed each night as I also have arthritis!!!! One night I even put the chair at the end of the bed to climb on the chair and then in to the bed. There was however, plenty of space under the bed for our luggage!!!!!!!
The grounds were very nice and the food court seemed to have nice meals. We only went a few times to fill our mugs and to pick up ready made sandwiches for our flight home on the last day.

Would I stay here again...
While it was nice, clean and beautiful to walk around.... needing handicapped accessible rooms, bed that I can get into and grounds that are not so large, I would have to say No for myself. But I would recommend it for others who do not have such needs. ( and those who need a room for 5) ( which BTW... I would have slept in the pull down bed but the mattress was not as comfortable as the main bed)

Does anyone know how late that POR will hold our luggage?

I was planning on staying at the Hyatt MCO the night before our early morning flight ( just to make it easier to get to the gate and not entirely rush ). So my plan was to check out the day before our flight, leave our luggage at the POR Front Desk, spend the day at MK and then leave in the evening, return to the POR, pick up the luggage then leave for MCO ( where we would check in at the hotel at the airport ).

Does anyone know how late that the POR Front Desk will keep our luggage? I'm trying to figure out when we should leave MK and then head back to POR to then take the shuttle.

I was planning to stay til maybe 8:30pm, then get back to POR then take the Disney Shuttle to MCO by 9:30pm. But I'm not sure how late the resort will keep my luggage.

Does anyone know how late that POR will hold our luggage?

I was planning on staying at the Hyatt MCO the night before our early morning flight ( just to make it easier to get to the gate and not entirely rush ). So my plan was to check out the day before our flight, leave our luggage at the POR Front Desk, spend the day at MK and then leave in the evening, return to the POR, pick up the luggage then leave for MCO ( where we would check in at the hotel at the airport ).

Does anyone know how late that the POR Front Desk will keep our luggage? I'm trying to figure out when we should leave MK and then head back to POR to then take the shuttle.

I was planning to stay til maybe 8:30pm, then get back to POR then take the Disney Shuttle to MCO by 9:30pm. But I'm not sure how late the resort will keep my luggage.

Bell Services is who would hold your luggage and they are 24x7.

Family and I are staying fro 8/10-8/17. This is not the first stay here for my husband and I but it is for our boys (10 & 7). They have stayed at POFQ and love the pool that they have over there and keep asking to go to it again on this trip. I know that the pools are shared by the two resorts, my question is about the walk to get there. We do not have royal rooms so we won't be in the buildings closest to FQ but I have put in a request for Magnolia Bend since we stayed in Alligator Bayou last time. Is the walk from that area to the FQ pool really long or is it a pretty easy walk? I figure that it is probably still shorter than some of the walks that have to be made at the large resorts, am I wrong? Thanks!

I have put in a request for Magnolia Bend since we stayed in Alligator Bayou last time. Is the walk from that area to the FQ pool really long or is it a pretty easy walk?

Depends on exactly where in those two buildings - 80 or 85 - you are located, but around 10 minutes (15 minutes top).

Andre

If we are requesting our pool view room to be in building 85, if we end up in that building, what is the longest our walk will be to ol' man island (central pool area)? Thanks.

If we are requesting our pool view room to be in building 85, if we end up in that building, what is the longest our walk will be to ol' man island (central pool area)? Thanks.

Not very far at all, a few minutes walk maybe? You will be almost next to the bridge leading to Ol' Man Island.

Port-Orleans-Riv-Map-Clean.gif

Andre

Last edited:

Family and I are staying fro 8/10-8/17. This is not the first stay here for my husband and I but it is for our boys (10 & 7). They have stayed at POFQ and love the pool that they have over there and keep asking to go to it again on this trip. I know that the pools are shared by the two resorts, my question is about the walk to get there. We do not have royal rooms so we won't be in the buildings closest to FQ but I have put in a request for Magnolia Bend since we stayed in Alligator Bayou last time. Is the walk from that area to the FQ pool really long or is it a pretty easy walk? I figure that it is probably still shorter than some of the walks that have to be made at the large resorts, am I wrong? Thanks!
Link to running distance map
Looks like about 1/2 mile from the Riverside boat dock to the pool @ FQ. Honestly though, the POR pool is nicer - give it a try unless you really want to walk down there.

We stay at POFQ and walk up to POR multiple times a trip. It is usually 10 to 15 minutes even when we stayed in Building 1.If you do decide to go to POFQ check the map for shortcuts through courtyards , that is what we do even just going from one area to another.

Hi we are staying at POR again this summer first 2 weeks in August.

We stayed in room 3525 in 2017 & it did not have the small mirror you can pull out from the wall.
The wife is asking can anyone confirm if the new mirrors have now been installed in the rooms.
Or if any one has pictures of them.
TIA..

Good morning - it looks like all buildings in por are refurbed or being refurbed currently (Thanks Andre!). With a preferred room booked in a couple weeks is it even possible to get a non refurbed room (which I don’t want) or are all of the rooms in a building being refurbed taken out of service while refurb is going on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter