Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Can anyone tell me whether the driver of the carriage ride at POR is a tipped position?

I’m not trying to start a debate on tipping, so I hope this post is ok. I am just trying to understand and make sure I have enough cash (coming from the U.K., most of my US cash is $50 notes, unless I ask specifically for smaller).

As an aside, if anyone can point me in the direction of a good resource for who to tip in these unusual roles at WDW, I would be very grateful. I travel plenty in the US for work, so I understand the general stuff, but so far have yet to have a meeting or conference with archery lessons or s’mores. Plus, it seems that, from what I have read, Disney has limits on tipping CMs that other hotels don’t. Or is the “refuse 3 times” rule still the norm? I’m terribly confused!
Yes, you should tip the carriage driver. $10 seems right to me.

Can anyone tell me whether the driver of the carriage ride at POR is a tipped position?

No, the carriage rides are considered to be a No Tipping position. The driver would most likely apply the rule of 3, where if a CM declines but a guest insists three times then they can accept a tip (but I believe that is then meant to be pooled centrally, not sure how that would work in this case)

Andre

No, the carriage rides are considered to be a No Tipping position. The driver would most likely apply the rule of 3, where if a CM declines but a guest insists three times then they can accept a tip (but I believe that is then meant to be pooled centrally, not sure how that would work in this case)

Andre

Thank you very much!

Yes, you should tip the carriage driver. $10 seems right to me.

Andre

I was as confused as you when we visited a couple of weeks ago. Researching previous posts on the Dis also gave conflicting answers. There is a sign inside the carriage which states tipping is not allowed but I decided to try as it seemed unfair to me as you tip everyone else who provides a service. I gave $10.

I was as confused as you when we visited a couple of weeks ago. Researching previous posts on the Dis also gave conflicting answers. There is a sign inside the carriage which states tipping is not allowed but I decided to try as it seemed unfair to me as you tip everyone else who provides a service. I gave $10.

That’s really helpful, thank you! So did they accept the tip? If so, did you need to offer it 3 times?

With the refurb at most resorts going a little more generic in styling, will the royal rooms at POR be refurbed too? I am looking into a possible stay in a royal room (2019) but not sure if they refurb them if they will take away all the styling that makes them different enough from the regular rooms or not. I think they are really cute right now, but am interested to see if they refurb them or not and if they do, how much they change...

I find this intriguing. Why do you find it unfair to not tip someone who works a non-tip job? When there is clear signage that you should not tip, why still go ahead and do it? I'm not saying you are wrong (I hope this doesn't sound judgy, it's not my intent), I'm trying to understand. I know where I live, employees who accept tip when they are in a non-tip position could get in trouble. Very often they don't even get to keep the tip. Don't know about Florida, but here tipped-jobs also have a (much) lower salary, because the employee will make up for it in tips (I hate this logic, but there it is...), so the person working a non-tip position actually has a higher (decent) salary. I'm trying to understand why it would be unfair to give a tip to someone in a tipped-job (who needs it to make a decent living) but not give it to someone in a non-tip position (who has a salary based on the fact that they do not get tips).

With the refurb at most resorts going a little more generic in styling, will the royal rooms at POR be refurbed too? I am looking into a possible stay in a royal room (2019) but not sure if they refurb them if they will take away all the styling that makes them different enough from the regular rooms or not. I think they are really cute right now, but am interested to see if they refurb them or not and if they do, how much they change...

I agree! They report high guest satisfaction with the more generic blah hotel decor they have transitioned all the recent rehabs to, but I am not among the happy.
The magic is in the details, and the richness of theming. Most of the decor in the new rooms looks like it came from hotelboringfurniturewarehouse.com. I haven't been to the Poly hotel side since the rehab because I've been staying on the DVC side, which has fabulous lush decor (if you like a 50s-60s feel) and beautiful bathrooms. The regular Poly rooms look nice. If they downgrade the theming of the royal rooms, I would be more inclined to try POP with the good reports of the rooms there.

I find this intriguing. Why do you find it unfair to not tip someone who works a non-tip job? When there is clear signage that you should not tip, why still go ahead and do it? I'm not saying you are wrong (I hope this doesn't sound judgy, it's not my intent), I'm trying to understand. I know where I live, employees who accept tip when they are in a non-tip position could get in trouble. Very often they don't even get to keep the tip. Don't know about Florida, but here tipped-jobs also have a (much) lower salary, because the employee will make up for it in tips (I hate this logic, but there it is...), so the person working a non-tip position actually has a higher (decent) salary. I'm trying to understand why it would be unfair to give a tip to someone in a tipped-job (who needs it to make a decent living) but not give it to someone in a non-tip position (who has a salary based on the fact that they do not get tips).

I'm sorry but I am not going to respond to this as I know the OP's intention was not to start a tipping debate which I feel this is heading towards :)

I'm sorry but I am not going to respond to this as I know the OP's intention was not to start a tipping debate which I feel this is heading towards :)

Fair enough, I retract the question :earsboy:

The important thing is for everyone to enjoy their POR vacation!

Thank you both. :flower1: I definitely am not trying to start a tipping debate: I have less than 4 weeks until our trip and I’m not organised at all yet, so I can’t afford to get banned from here! :rotfl2:

I'm also a little disappointed at the refurbishment. It's an opportunity to make the room feel special and stand out, but it's ho-hum. I like the refurbishments at CSR better. I do like the curtain, but that's it. I even prefer the previous woodsy beds.

I booked Preferred for 11/22-25. When I was on the phone the CM let me know that would have a 5th sleeper for my daughter. She loved the one at CB. I specifically wanted preferred due to the close proximity to the dining area, but according to the refurb timeline 3/4 of the proffered building are due to be worked on in Novemeber. Has anyone ever been downgraded due to the refurbs anywhere??

Can I confirm that it is possible to get 2 connecting King rooms? Touring Plans and the Port Orleans site both indicate that you can, but a CM on the reservation line just told me there are no connecting King rooms. I hope he is wrong, because that will screw up our plans quite a bit! Can anyone reassure me?

Can I confirm that it is possible to get 2 connecting King rooms? Touring Plans and the Port Orleans site both indicate that you can, but a CM on the reservation line just told me there are no connecting King rooms. I hope he is wrong, because that will screw up our plans quite a bit! Can anyone reassure me?

There are 4 sets of King rooms that connect to another King room in the Magnolia Building of the Mansion Section.

I don't think they will guarantee any connecting rooms, will they? King is bookable, but not connecting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter