Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

We are headed to POFQ next week - yay! We always have our car but rarely drive to the parks - we just always assume it's quicker and easier to take a bus. BUT ... is it really? We have two MK days and one HS day this trip. Should we drive or take the busses? Our party includes two adults and two children (one of whom may have gotten bus sick once at WDW). Our driving forces would be ease and speed to/from the parks. TIA!

Definitely take the bus to MK.

You might consider driving to HS. It’s up to you. We often drive if we know we’re going back to our resort mid day. But I’m just as happy to take the bus.

We are headed to POFQ next week - yay! We always have our car but rarely drive to the parks - we just always assume it's quicker and easier to take a bus. BUT ... is it really? We have two MK days and one HS day this trip. Should we drive or take the busses? Our party includes two adults and two children (one of whom may have gotten bus sick once at WDW). Our driving forces would be ease and speed to/from the parks. TIA!

We've done multiple tests with my brother-in-law and his family, he hates buses, and we beat them to every park by at least 15 minutes. Closer to 30 with MK.

I was there Thursday through Monday (Sept 5th-9th) and we never once shared a bus with Riverside.
you lucked out then! At one point we were waiting an hour for the next bus. Even a CM started to look nervous. We were there Sept 4-11. I figured the place was so dead they were just amalgamating buses. It certainly wasn't the DME.

you lucked out then! At one point we were waiting an hour for the next bus. Even a CM started to look nervous. We were there Sept 4-11. I figured the place was so dead they were just amalgamating buses. It certainly wasn't the DME.
Being there at the same time, it certainly wasn't "dead". I've stayed at POFQ three times in the last year and no, I can say they don't ever share buses (other than DME) with OKW.

A few things:
1) I have never in my life heard of FQ sharing with Riverside plus two other resorts, except for DME drop-offs and picks-ups.
2) Regardless of the experience, that totally sucks. At about 20 minutes I would have dropped out and called an Uber. I deal with 'bus anxiety' every day for work, and I absolutely won't do it at Disney! I hope the rest of your trip was better.

1) I have never in my life heard of FQ sharing with Riverside plus two other resorts, except for DME drop-offs and picks-ups.

The only thing I can think of is that they may have a problem with one or both of the services - bus breakdown, driver shortages, etc - especially given the amount of time the OP waiting for a FQ bus. They might have diverted an OKW bus to also pick up guests at FQ as well, to try to reduce the waiting time. But as you said, it is not standard practice for FQ to share with any other resort except for Riverside.

Andre

The only thing I can think of is that they may have a problem with one or both of the services - bus breakdown, driver shortages, etc - especially given the amount of time the OP waiting for a FQ bus. They might have diverted an OKW bus to also pick up guests at FQ as well, to try to reduce the waiting time. But as you said, it is not standard practice for FQ to share with any other resort except for Riverside.

Andre

Agreed, definitely some sort of bus issue that forced that to happen. That sucks, but at least it's such a rarity that next to no one on here has ever had it happen to them. :)

My reply might be late, but I also vote buses. You're saving parking fee each night, walking to bus from parks is generally faster than getting back to a car, and if you really need to get someone fast, uber or taxi is still cheaper than that resort parking fee.

What should we do on arrival night ?

We get to POFQ about 10 PM on DME
We will have our own luggage on the DME bus
We will be in building 3 or 4 facing the bus stop or parking lot - Standard view
But there is no balcony - so who cares? As long as we have an upper floor, I am fine with the room

We will unpack a bit, takes 20 minutes or less - And make sure there are no bugs in in the room.
Should we take a walk around the resort ? We have never stayed there. Will we get lost at night ?
Should we go to the food court and check it out ?

What time do places shut down at POFQ ?
Food court open at 10:30 PM ?
Gift shop open at 10:30 PM?

It will be mid-November

Last night one of the food counters closed at 10:00 while others stayed open. If your coming in hungry hit the food court right away. You won’t get lost walking around here at night, Riverside yes, I have done that, but not here.

I heard they are changing the lounge. Does anyone have any details? I wish they would add a restaurant to this resort.

I heard they are changing the lounge. Does anyone have any details? I wish they would add a restaurant to this resort.

I wish that too, there is already an empty table-service restaurant space there (the old Bonfamille's) but that is where they are now moving the lounge to. The current Scat Cats's area is becoming "Beignet Central" - I assume some kind of cafe and cakes location. See https://www.portorleans.org/news.php?first=170919. The big downer is that Jason & Billy are not being kept on for the new lounge space.

Andre

I wish that too, there is already an empty table-service restaurant space there (the old Bonfamille's) but that is where they are now moving the lounge to. The current Scat Cats's area is becoming "Beignet Central" - I assume some kind of cafe and cakes location.

This sounds like a logical move and I’m glad to hear of it. Hopefully in the new location, Scat Cat’s can expand their small plates menu and become a more feasible quasi-table service location. POFQ is sorely lacking in that department.

Love the idea of converting the old space into a coffee-beignet shop. It’s more appropriate and will hopefully relieve some of the congestion of the current food court location. Sorry about the loss of Jason & Billy, though. They will be missed!

I wish that too, there is already an empty table-service restaurant space there (the old Bonfamille's) but that is where they are now moving the lounge to. The current Scat Cats's area is becoming "Beignet Central" - I assume some kind of cafe and cakes location. See https://www.portorleans.org/news.php?first=170919. The big downer is that Jason & Billy are not being kept on for the new lounge space.

Andre
This sounds like a logical move and I’m glad to hear of it. Hopefully in the new location, Scat Cat’s can expand their small plates menu and become a more feasible quasi-table service location. POFQ is sorely lacking in that department.

Love the idea of converting the old space into a coffee-beignet shop. It’s more appropriate and will hopefully relieve some of the congestion of the current food court location. Sorry about the loss of Jason & Billy, though. They will be missed!

Thank you! The lounge changes sound positive, but I'm sorry to hear these beloved entertainers won't be there. I didn't get a chance to watch them, but there was always a crowd gathered round when we passed by.

Andre
Oh no! We always made time to listen to Jason & Billy at least two nights during our annual trips. We even brought our infant daughter for her first trip last December to listen to the music. She loved it and they dubbed her the “happiest baby ever”. I am so sad they won’t be part of the new experience. 😢

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter