Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

I've stayed at CBR 7 times. The last 2 visits we've had smelly rooms. Moved to a new room and still smelly so moved again. Like a moldy musty smokey smell. So there's 3 rooms we've been in that had a weird smell and we asked to move to a new room (in Aruba, Martinique and the old Trinidad North). CBR was my favorite - we've always stayed there but after the last 2 visits of smelly rooms and then the construction started we switched resorts. So i understand about you having a smelly room. I'm considering POFQ for our next trip.
I say go for pofq if you can. It’s tied with yc as my favorite resort.

We had the same problem in 2016. Tried 2 different rooms before they moved us to the CR. I can't believe they still smell.
I hope they have some plan to refurbish soon with all of the gondola and other updates they’re doing but people might just deal with staying there because of the gondola

Wow, that was interesting about all the bad smelling rooms at CBR. I've stayed there 3 times and it was fine but sounds like they have an obvious problem over there! Nice that they are letting people move to another resort! But that would be a bit of a hassle after a long trip to get to DW.

Wow, that was interesting about all the bad smelling rooms at CBR. I've stayed there 3 times and it was fine but sounds like they have an obvious problem over there! Nice that they are letting people move to another resort! But that would be a bit of a hassle after a long trip to get to DW.
We didn’t really mind. We just paid for a Lyft which only cost us $4.50 after a coupon.

Quick question - are there elevators since there are 3 floors? I'm used to CBR with no elevators but they only have 2 floors.

I hope they have some plan to refurbish soon with all of the gondola and other updates they’re doing but people might just deal with staying there because of the gondola
From what I understand, the rooms at CBR were recently refurbished. Someone said they were surprised that new carpet was installed instead of the laminate flooring going in at all the other resorts and that the beds weren't raised higher like the other updated resorts now have.

We didn’t really mind. We just paid for a Lyft which only cost us $4.50 after a coupon.
We minded! It was late, we had two small, exhausted boys, and it was a big hassle to go back and forth from the smelly rooms to the desk. They arranged for our transport to the new hotel as well, as I believe they should have.

From what I understand, the rooms at CBR were recently refurbished. Someone said they were surprised that new carpet was installed instead of the laminate flooring going in at all the other resorts and that the beds weren't raised higher like the other updated resorts now have.
They were refurbed back in late 2015/early 2016. Long before they moved to laminate floors, etc. Other parts of the resort have been redone since then, but we stayed in a refurbed room back in Oct 2015.

They were refurbed back in late 2015/early 2016. Long before they moved to laminate floors, etc. Other parts of the resort have been redone since then, but we stayed in a refurbed room back in Oct 2015.
I personally don’t see them refurbishing the rooms for awhile since they are doing all of the all stars and those are currently paused for who knows how long. People will probably still book cbr for the skyliner and some people actually do like cbr so stay there anyway

What is the height limit on the kids splash pad?

48in. My taller son was allowed in there with the younger, but was not allowed to use the slides. One day when the pool was closed (for gross reasons) everyone, including adults, was allowed in there until the pool reopened. Grown men make the slides shake, just FYI.

We check in on Tuesday.
As much as I'm going to miss BWI this trip equally looking forward to returning to FQ.
Do you ever have a hard time getting a table at the food court area? The amount of tables seems a bit small, so just wondering and trying to plan ahead.
Small resort, small food court. They go together. But we've never had issues getting a table. Even when they had the temp area

The first room had a nasty smell. I wouldn’t say we just didn’t like the room. We knew what it would look like going in because I looked at pictures. The second room was surrounded by fences and dug up ground. We weren’t told about construction and weren’t really happy about that. I just don’t want people thinking we complained just because of the room decor because that wasn’t the case.

Beside that, yes we definitely got some Disney magic with them being able to move us to pofq. They also said they could move us to contemporary for $800 more. We offered to pay to move to a new resort.
The construction isn't noted on the website anymore? It's been going on so long I thought everyone knew but they should sure keep the notice on the website at any rate

We've stayed there twice now, in 2011 and in 2017 and had no issues with our rooms either. Our only awful, smelly room has been at WL. And that was the only one there, out of 5 other stays with perfectly nice rooms. So I'm not sure it's obvious or at least more obvious than anywhere else seeing how Disney is a damp place in general. Which is probably a major factor in their decision in going away from soft furnishings. That's going to help with a lot of things. Some drawbacks sure but I think in the long run more positives than negatives. That smelly room at WL was really awful.

We check in on Tuesday.
As much as I'm going to miss BWI this trip equally looking forward to returning to FQ.

Small resort, small food court. They go together. But we've never had issues getting a table. Even when they had the temp area

The construction isn't noted on the website anymore? It's been going on so long I thought everyone knew but they should sure keep the notice on the website at any rate

We've stayed there twice now, in 2011 and in 2017 and had no issues with our rooms either. Our only awful, smelly room has been at WL. And that was the only one there, out of 5 other stays with perfectly nice rooms. So I'm not sure it's obvious or at least more obvious than anywhere else seeing how Disney is a damp place in general. Which is probably a major factor in their decision in going away from soft furnishings. That's going to help with a lot of things. Some drawbacks sure but I think in the long run more positives than negatives. That smelly room at WL was really awful.
They had the skyliner construction listed and the tower being built but the grounds weren’t supposed to be torn up like they were. I guess they found out they had to do some digging for the skyliner. We had to walk between fences on the sidewalks to our room. It wasn’t a great atmosphere

They had the skyliner construction listed and the tower being built but the grounds weren’t supposed to be torn up like they were. I guess they found out they had to do some digging for the skyliner. We had to walk between fences on the sidewalks to our room. It wasn’t a great atmosphere
Yeah, that stuff has been going on for a couple of years. The grounds were torn up during our stay in 2017. It's a shame they haven't been straight forward about it

Yeah, that stuff has been going on for a couple of years. The grounds were torn up during our stay in 2017. It's a shame they haven't been straight forward about it
From reading the cbr thread they made it sound like this just started recently because they realized they needed to dig for some reason.

We minded! It was late, we had two small, exhausted boys, and it was a big hassle to go back and forth from the smelly rooms to the desk. They arranged for our transport to the new hotel as well, as I believe they should have.

That's how I would have felt! I have to travel all across the country and plan for months and months. I don't want to go smell my room, go back to check in, smell a room, go back, to check in..........I'm exhausted and need my precious sleep!

Like people say, DW is in a swampy area. Mold is probably what everyone is smelling. I hated to see the beautiful bedspreads go away and then even the colorful strip across the foot of the bed. Now they are putting in laminate floors :( but I understand.

That's how I would have felt! I have to travel all across the country and plan for months and months. I don't want to go smell my room, go back to check in, smell a room, go back, to check in..........I'm exhausted and need my precious sleep!

Like people say, DW is in a swampy area. Mold is probably what everyone is smelling. I hated to see the beautiful bedspreads go away and then even the colorful strip across the foot of the bed. Now they are putting in laminate floors :( but I understand.
That is what we smelled in that room at WL, mold, musty mildewy. Just general dampness. And it was a 1st floor room so I'm sure that was even worse. But yeah, soft furnishings are just havens for so many things, stains, critters, mold, etc. It's no wonder they are eliminating as many as possible. Disney isn't the only one though. We found most all our hotel rooms lately have if they are less than 5 years old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter