Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

It's been hit or miss for me here; sometimes online works to send me straight to my room, sometimes I've had to do a quick stop at the desk.

Do they force you to go to checkin? Or would online checkin and MagicBands allow you to be driven right to your room building?

If you already have your bands and have done online checkin, you can choose the direct-to-room option and they will text you your room number. You can still go to the desk anyway if you wish, for example if you want to change anything.

Andre

A new in-room guest wireless network is now live at Port Orleans French Quarter. The major change is that during the recent room refurbishment process they were able to link all of the wifi access nodes directly via fiber optic cables - and the results speak for themselves...

Screenshot_20180811-102907.png

Screenshot_20180811-102857.png

Andre

Thanks! Only River and Pool are available with the Passholder Discount. I went ahead and emailed my TA and requested River as it was slightly less. I decided I'd rather have a little bit of a walk late at night and know that the food court is fully operational than be closer but not necessarily be able to eat at the food court due to a limited menu.

I think you made a great move! We stayed at CSR several years ago and while the resort was beautiful, we will not return. Unless it has changed, the food venues at CSR are run by an outside group that also runs a few places in EP World Showcase. They do not have the same allergy awareness training/food options as the Disney run food venues and our experience at the resort was not acceptable. That was back when we only had my DD's food allergies to worry about and now I have had to go gluten free so it complicates dining even more.

We visited POFQ on our trip last August for a late lunch and we were very impressed with their food and allergy options. Food was really great and the resort grounds were lovely. We are hoping for our first stay here in March 2019.

Have a great trip :wizard: I look forward to read your review!!

Thanks! Only River and Pool are available with the Passholder Discount. I went ahead and emailed my TA and requested River as it was slightly less. I decided I'd rather have a little bit of a walk late at night and know that the food court is fully operational than be closer but not necessarily be able to eat at the food court due to a limited menu.

I think switching to POFQ is the right decision. I would be really concerned with the food court situation at CSR as well (I'm celiac). The chefs at FQ were amazing during my most recent trip last week! Love the beignets!

Do they force you to go to checkin? Or would online checkin and MagicBands allow you to be driven right to your room building?
No one will force you to go to checkin. You can check in on line and use your Magic Band to get into the room. You will get a text when your room is ready with the room number. You will not be driven right to your room building. If you are using Magical Express you will be dropped off at the lobby and walk to your room building. If you are driving you will park in the lot and walk to your room building.

Just a reminder, the online check-in doesn't absolutely guarantee you will receive a text, or if you do receive one that it will tell you to go to your room. In July I received a text stating to go to the front desk, and my last trip to FQ, I didn't receive a text at all. Now, my trips in between those times everything went smoothly, room ready text and ready to go.

Is there any point in doing online check in if we have to go to the desk to pick up our magic bands? Will it make our check in quicker?

Of course you aren't forced to go to check in. Not sure there's anything at Disney that you are ever forced to do.
Nor does doing online checkin always mean you are sent your room number via text. When you do online check in, sometimes you will get it via text, sometimes you don't. I'd say, most of the time, we do. But not 100%
Not sure what you mean by being driving to your room building. There isn't a way to be driven to your building at FQ.

Is there any point in doing online check in if we have to go to the desk to pick up our magic bands? Will it make our check in quicker?
When room request portion was working, yes. Now that it's not, no, not really. If you aren't flying and not using ME, then it gives you an opportunity to inform them of what time you are arriving but that's it. Now that the room request portion is not working you can't even let them know you want a room ready early, if you do.

Last edited:
We are less than a month to arrival at POFQ; a last minute "girls only" adventure! :)

I can't wait to be home again; I have become so spoiled by POFQ that (aside from WL) I don't really want to come to WDW if I can't book in there! I know that all of the other Disney Resorts are *beautiful* and each one has something unique and wonderful... but POFQ captured my heart from the very first moment. We haven't been back since the room renos have been complete, so I am looking forward to a fresh new room to go with my fresh new start!

This is my celebration trip - I "graduated" from PT after a horrifying accident at the first of the year (multiple broken bones, and months and months of rehab) and we had to cancel our January trip because I was so badly injured.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

That's what we've got as well, maybe we'll be neighbours :wave: We've never stayed in a river view room before, but as there was originally no availability when we booked, we just snatched what we could when we found an available room at POFQ.

Woohoo!! I’m so excited!! 25 days and a few hours!!

99 days today!!
I also decided today to call and see if I could change our arrival night from Pop to FQ. I know it's more money, but I kept picturing the possibly very long walk (no preferred available) at 1:30 a.m. trundling along with my carry on and then doing that again in the morning. I just want to be where I'm going to stay, even if it's just a bed. It's worth the extra money to me to avoid the walk and to have just one unpacking. I have a bad back and I am determined to do this trip without a scooter! I am so happy I was able to add the day. I kept expecting the CM to say, sorry there's no availability! While I was on the phone, I reserved my DME and requested top floor. I know there's probably no difference, but I always feel like there is more availability when I call instead of going online.
Now to count the days to my FP day! 39!

I am going to be a solo female traveler. I have booked the standard view room. What building would you recommend I request. I don’t expect any type of view with standard, but I would like to be close to the main building and buses.

IMG_3920.GIF [GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
I am going to be a solo female traveler. I have booked the standard view room. What building would you recommend I request. I don’t expect any type of view with standard, but I would like to be close to the main building and buses.
As you can see, this is a pretty compact resort. From what I've read here, even building 7 is not a long walk. But you can see, on this map from page 1 of this thread, which buildings are closest to the lobby.

Really hoping to stay here for a end of Oct/Nov 2019 trip! I have peeked online and it looks like all standard rooms and garden views are unavailable - which isn't a huge deal to me, I am happy to upgrade however are they indeed already sold out for that time frame or are they holding back some rooms? I can't actually book until I runDisney announce 2019 Wine and Dine dates so (2.5 months!) but just worried it will be totally sold out by then? I plan to book a room the day we find out, but don't want to get my hopes up if its likely to be sold out by then. Any intel would be great, thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter