Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll have our own car for our FIRST trip to POP the end of September. Is it advisable to just drive ourselves to the parks instead of worrying about the buses?? I thought the buses would be more convenient but sounds like driving might be the better option.
I would say you're best to take a bus to the Magic Kingdom and right now driving to Hollywood Studios and Epcot appears to be your better option. I'm not sure about Animal Kingdom as I'm not familiar with driving there but do know the buses aren't too bad of a walk.

I know this is a silly question and I'm sure there is another board that would answer this but since we're staying at POP I figured you guys would know best.

Can we just get ice & water from the soda machines without buying a drink cup?? Want to fill my water bottle with ice before heading to the parks. If not, is there ice machines in each of the buildings??
Yes, you can get ice from the soda machines and from an ice machine in the soda area. I believe there is water available in the soda machines, just look for a tiny leaver (see pic below) that sticks out and push that down. You should not need a refillable mug for the water.

upload_2018-8-17_21-58-31.jpeg

We'll have our own car for our FIRST trip to POP the end of September. Is it advisable to just drive ourselves to the parks instead of worrying about the buses?? I thought the buses would be more convenient but sounds like driving might be the better option.

When I have a car at Pop I’ll drive to Epcot, Studios, and Animal Kingdom. The drive is quick to all three and I find having the car makes it more convenient for us to take an afternoon break. We can get food elsewhere, like at Publix, before returning to Pop.

I will take the bus to Magic Kingdom because the at-gate bus stop is a big advantage versus driving and parking for MK.

I never drove to the parks in all these years. Fast forward to my DD doing the Disney College Program, and she drove everywhere. She convinced me it was a great way to go (I love the bus when the guy does his spiel on the overhead speaker though). We drove everywhere except MK - - - DHS, AK, EP, DS (the DS garage was fantastic). I honestly did like it! I was surprised. Funny enough, the tram was part of the fun!! I love listening to them when you get a humorous person in the back!! Being in building 7, near the parking lot, made it incredibly convenient. I love the bus, I really do. But I will be driving more from now on, knowing I will hop in my car instead of waiting who knows how long. (In my experience I have found afternoon wait times to be longer.)

I agree. We drove to DHS every time we went on our July trip. Such a short hop from Pop. Actually, for the first time in all these years, we drove to every park except MK. I didn't miss the bus at all. I didn't think I'd ever forgo the bus! But Pop is such a great location, that driving was a better option. We stayed in building 7, so the parking lot was closer to our room anyway.
Our plan is very pretty much the same. We're only taking the bus to MK as we know a car won't do us any good over there. We have some very early morning each of our 9 days there so a car just made sense.

We prefer driving our own car. MK might be an exception.

Sorry to say that bus service from most parks has been pretty atrocious getting back to pop - and I’m not one to complain. Most of the time we hop on AoA because we’re in 60s close to the bridge. Magic kingdom is especially frustrating as they have SO MANY empty buses going to the TTC and huge lines of people waiting to get to Pop (and to a lesser extent AoA). Is there such a thing as transportation feedback separate from resort feedback?

Our plan is very pretty much the same. We're only taking the bus to MK as we know a car won't do us any good over there. We have some very early morning each of our 9 days there so a car just made sense.
Yes!! And HS at rope drop for Slinky made driving a no-brainer for us!! It was perfect!!

When I have a car at Pop I’ll drive to Epcot, Studios, and Animal Kingdom. The drive is quick to all three and I find having the car makes it more convenient for us to take an afternoon break. We can get food elsewhere, like at Publix, before returning to Pop.

I will take the bus to Magic Kingdom because the at-gate bus stop is a big advantage versus driving and parking for MK.

Awesome!! Thanks guys!! Okay, one more question. I thought I've seen this somewhere but if you are staying at a Disney resort and drive to the park, parking is free??

Awesome!! Thanks guys!! Okay, one more question. I thought I've seen this somewhere but if you are staying at a Disney resort and drive to the park, parking is free??

Yes, resort guests are not charged for theme park parking. You scan your Magic Band at the gate and they let you in.

However there is now a nightly parking charge for the resort itself. For Pop it’s $13 a night.

Just my two cents...
I was not looking forward to our first value stay at Pop.... and ended up LOVING IT!!!
The rooms are great, beds very comfortable,
Pool cute, lots of options at food court, and bus service quite good. We usually drive ourselves but since hubby didn’t go (to be the driver) my son and I opted for busses and it went quite well. We usually had to stand, and the Pop busses seemed really far from park gates, but all in all worked out well.
We went back to Pop for afternoon breaks every day before heading back to parks in evening and still thought park time and transportation time worth it. I would stay at Pop again any time, Disney just knows how to make anywhere magical.
We stayed at The Portofino Bay Hotel at UO (which we were much more excited about) for the second part of our trip. The PBH is a deluxe resort- and we ended up liking Pop better!!! The food was better at PBH and the rooms bigger, but Pop was cleaner and friendlier and had better customer service.
We’d stay at Pop again any time, but forego PBH every time now.
Go figure.
Add another family who’s done mods and deluxe to the Pop Lovers List :)

Just my two cents...
I was not looking forward to our first value stay at Pop.... and ended up LOVING IT!!!
The rooms are great, beds very comfortable,
Pool cute, lots of options at food court, and bus service quite good. We usually drive ourselves but since hubby didn’t go (to be the driver) my son and I opted for busses and it went quite well. We usually had to stand, and the Pop busses seemed really far from park gates, but all in all worked out well.
We went back to Pop for afternoon breaks every day before heading back to parks in evening and still thought park time and transportation time worth it. I would stay at Pop again any time, Disney just knows how to make anywhere magical.
We stayed at The Portofino Bay Hotel at UO (which we were much more excited about) for the second part of our trip. The PBH is a deluxe resort- and we ended up liking Pop better!!! The food was better at PBH and the rooms bigger, but Pop was cleaner and friendlier and had better customer service.
We’d stay at Pop again any time, but forego PBH every time now.
Go figure.
Add another family who’s done mods and deluxe to the Pop Lovers List :)

That's great to hear. I keep debating on switching resorts, but I just don't want to spend the extra on a room on this trip since we're doing so many other extras. You have helped me feel that sense of excitement that I was lacking.

Can anyone give me their input on room recommendations? I have been looking on Touring Plans, but wanted you all's input also. We are BIG coffee and hot chocolate drinkers, so I would like to be close to the refill stations for these, as well as, bus loops. We have upgraded to preferred pool if that helps. I was thinking ground floor would be closer for our morning/evening refills (I did see the helpful tip though on leaving mugs in a pool locker to be able to grab upon return to the resort after being at the parks). We also nap occasionally. Will the ground floor rooms have too much noise from the pool in October that would interrupt napping? TIA

Can anyone give me their input on room recommendations? I have been looking on Touring Plans, but wanted you all's input also. We are BIG coffee and hot chocolate drinkers, so I would like to be close to the refill stations for these, as well as, bus loops. We have upgraded to preferred pool if that helps. I was thinking ground floor would be closer for our morning/evening refills (I did see the helpful tip though on leaving mugs in a pool locker to be able to grab upon return to the resort after being at the parks). We also nap occasionally. Will the ground floor rooms have too much noise from the pool in October that would interrupt napping? TIA
If you are in preferred pool view rooms they are all in the 60’s section and about the same distance to transportation. These rooms all face the Hippy Dippy pool that will be hopping with entertainment the entire afternoon. If you want to nap and are bothered by noise you may wish to request a higher floor and download a noise machine app. Unfortunately your room location plus desire for a nap coincide with the busiest and noisiest time at the pool.

I'm sure this has already been asked before but I'm planning on bringing my Roku and I was just checking to see if the new TVs will accept HDMI. I'm sure they do but some hotels block out certain features or have them mounted so close to the wall that you cannot access the back or side panel. Thanks!

If you are in preferred pool view rooms they are all in the 60’s section and about the same distance to transportation. These rooms all face the Hippy Dippy pool that will be hopping with entertainment the entire afternoon. If you want to nap and are bothered by noise you may wish to request a higher floor and download a noise machine app. Unfortunately your room location plus desire for a nap coincide with the busiest and noisiest time at the pool.
Thank you. I was afraid of that.

Does anyone know if the renovated rooms still have the "string" in the bathroom to dry things on? and if so does this apply even in shower only rooms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter