Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about landscape view v lake view--would you say both are equally quiet? Thanks!
I find that other that the Pool View rooms, Pop is extremely quiet and the rooms are well soundproofed. We love the lake view rooms but honestly don’t spend a lot of time appreciating it as we’re in our room so little during the day.

I don't "think" so-it is part of the "Fun In The Sun" Party.:)

The time will be listed in the Recreation Calendar.:)

Courtesy of Character Locator
pop_recreation_Page_1.jpg
Thanks!

We just returned from our 10-day stay at POP. We were in building 4, 4th floor, lake view (I have added the specific info to the room thread). We received exactly our requests, and couldn’t have been happier with the location. It was very quiet and the view was really lovely. We loved the new room. With just us 2, we kept the 2nd bed up all the time, and found it nice to have so much space. I can imagine if you keep both beds open all the time, it would feel pretty cramped. Not having the 2nd bed down means we didn’t have any issues with hitting our shins on its frame, though my husband kept walking into the main bed. I never did, I think it’s just how differently we move around furniture, and I kept making fun of him for it. :D

We declined housekeeping and received the $90 gift card by email. We applied it to our room charges later on. We didn’t find the floor dirty, we walked barefoot or with socks and it was fine. We were careful to remove shoes when we entered the room and kept them on a towel by the door, which might have helped. I called about mid-trip for extra towels, just pressed the Guest Services button on the room phone, and said we would like a few extra towels. We came back to the room later to find 9 big towels, 3 hand towels and about 12 washcloths on the table. When we had too much trash, we would just empty our trash in the garbage can by the ice machine. Being just the two of us, and not eating much in the room, that was not much of an issue, either.

We had two security checks while we were in the room, both times in the afternoon, around 2 or 3 PM. Once we were napping when they knocked. I was groggy from sleep, so just opened the door with my messy hair and sleepy face. Lady was very friendly, smiled and said she was doing a security check. I opened the room wider, she looked into the room, saw my husband in the bed, said hello, thanked us and left. The second time, I was in the bathroom. My husband opened the door, told them I was in the bathroom. Again, he says she just looked from the doorway, thanked him and left. Both times the “room occupied” sign was on.

We enjoyed the food court, options were varied, portions were big and we almost always shared one meal with an extra side. We ate at the outdoor tables a few times, as the food court can get pretty noisy.

We also enjoyed the Hippy Dippy pool a few times. I do wish some of the chairs had a bit of shade. This whiter-than-white northern Canadian girl cannot sit for any length of time in the Florida sun without some shade. I was lucky the one time I wanted to stay longer I was able to grab one of the two tables with a parasol that are at one end of the pool. I would have liked to try the Bowling Pin pool but it was closed when I wanted to go. Construction on buildings 1 and 3 facing the pool were in full swing.

We were mostly lucky with buses, usually didn’t have to wait too long. POP is truly very centrally located, and getting to any of the parks was very easy. Coming back from DHS at closing is the worst, though. The Skyliner construction at the entrance of DHS really messes with traffic flow and getting out of there after park closing took a LONG time. We also closed MK one evening, while it was pouring rain, and it took at least 3 articulated buses before we could get on one. Because our room was very close to the bridge to AoA, we sometimes got on that bus and walked across. We loved walking around AoA and POP, the landscape is very nice around the lake.

We only encountered friendly CMs, both in the parks and at the resort.

POP is a very nice resort, but after staying at Riverside our previous two trips, I do think we’re more moderate than value kind of people. It wasn’t anything very specific, more of a general feeling. And while I liked the little decade fun facts around the lake, and the items in the lobby, we felt the resort had issues with its theming. From the ‘50s to the ‘90s is such a long period of time to cover, it was difficult to get a distinctive feel of the theme. I also wish the rooms had different theming inside, depending on the decade of their building.

All in all, a very nice stay at POP, now I just wish I didn’t have to go to work tomorrow! :sad:

I am going to be pretty pissed if they wake me up from a nap to do these new security checks. I will not anticipate trouble unless I have some, but that is precisely the time of day we usually retire to the room for naps. I am a light sleeper and would likely not be able to get back to sleep. I know, I know, everybody else is complaining about this, too. I guess we will see.

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear you enjoyed the new room.

Received an email today regarding the construction for the gondolas while we are there in September. I don't mind that it will be occurring as we will be in the parks more then at the resort. I am hoping that construction, at POP anyways, will be completed by Spring for my solo trip but I'm not holding my breath that it will be.

I guess I have POP in my system! DD just finished the college program where she booked us a room at the Yacht Club. The Yacht Club!! And I missed POP (minus the short walk to Epcot!) I just booked Coronado Springs with a great AP room only discount. . . . And just switched it to POP. We have stayed in the 50's, 60's, and 70's over the years, and last April, we stayed in the 80's. I'm hooked!! I had a standard pool room then and have requested the same for our July trip!! Love that section!!

Received an email today regarding the construction for the gondolas while we are there in September. I don't mind that it will be occurring as we will be in the parks more then at the resort. I am hoping that construction, at POP anyways, will be completed by Spring for my solo trip but I'm not holding my breath that it will be.
It’s spring right now. You going real soon?

I guess I have POP in my system! DD just finished the college program where she booked us a room at the Yacht Club. The Yacht Club!! And I missed POP (minus the short walk to Epcot!) I just booked Coronado Springs with a great AP room only discount. . . . And just switched it to POP. We have stayed in the 50's, 60's, and 70's over the years, and last April, we stayed in the 80's. I'm hooked!! I had a standard pool room then and have requested the same for our July trip!! Love that section!!

I understand exactly what you mean. In 2016 I wasn't able to get us FD at POP so I booked CBR, which I wasn't happy about but turned out better then I expected. We got to CBR to check in to find out they overbooked our week and level so they upgraded us to AKL Savannah View, I was shocked but the whole time I felt like I was cheating on POP since that is the only place we had stayed every year since 2006. Now we are back at POP and I am happy, even with all the construction. We have only ever stayed in the 50's section, either building 1 or 3.

Oh I know the room refurbs should be done, I was actually referring to the gondolas, they aren't set to be completed until 2019 but no date has been given. If they will be done sooner I will be happy. :)
The thread on the Dis says “spring 2019” for the completion date. Fingers crossed for you!

Me and my daughter have Pop booked. I really do not want a King room. I am worried because t is just the two of us, they might give us a king or do they tend to give king rooms to couples?
Thoughts?
This was at Wilderness Lodge but I went with my dad one year and they gave us a king bed. I went back downstairs to tell them, so they could move us.

At Animal Kingdom Lodge, my sister and I got a king bed once too. We kept that one though because when traveling as kids, we shared a bed anyway and the room was just in the location we wanted.

I guess maybe you could call and tell them that you aren’t a couple and need two beds.

I'm not especially worried about the security checks, as we are used to housekeeping coming in. However, I don't like to be bothered either when I am in the room. Do the rooms no longer have the security bar latch thing so the door can't be opened if someone is changing or something or in the bathroom? Do they do security checks in addition to housekeeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter