Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a TV at Tambu Lounge still? Last trip that we stayed at the Poly {it's been awhile, prior the remodel} we watched the Super Bowl while enjoying a pineapple drink and hope to do the same this Feb.

Also are all club rooms in the same building? This will be our first time staying in a club room there.

Is there a TV at Tambu Lounge still? Last trip that we stayed at the Poly {it's been awhile, prior the remodel} we watched the Super Bowl while enjoying a pineapple drink and hope to do the same this Feb.

Also are all club rooms in the same building? This will be our first time staying in a club room there.
Yes, there is a TV by the seating area on the side of the bar furthest from 'Ohana.

Regular CL rooms are in the Hawaii building. CL suites are in the Tonga building.

Yes, there is a TV by the seating area on the side of the bar furthest from 'Ohana.

Regular CL rooms are in the Hawaii building. CL suites are in the Tonga building.
Great, same place it was then as well. :) Thanks!

Is there a separate post about the Poly CL info or should I just search through the main CL post? Or here maybe. Just wondering about the food, etc. because you know how Disney people are about researching and obsessing. ;)

We were at SAB last week and I can’t see how anyone without a magic band with their hotel registered could get in. I saw a woman with three young children have to go back for a young toddlers magic band, the other two preschoolers had theirs.
And this is the thing, Stormalong Bay is huge. If a few people sneak in, it’s not the end of the world. Polynesian’s pools are small in comparison. They should have at least one CM guarding the entrances of those two pools, especially the Lava pool so that the actual paying guests of the Poly can enjoy those pools.

Is there a separate post about the Poly CL info or should I just search through the main CL post? Or here maybe. Just wondering about the food, etc. because you know how Disney people are about researching and obsessing. ;)
This is the main CL thread: Disney's Club Level (CL) Information and Questions

There is a ton of Poly CL love over there. I know @GADisneyDad14 also has great reviews posted with tons of pics!

Hoping someone can come through with a quick answer:

Staying at the Poly now and I’m in Tuvalu, unfortunately not with a view of the lagoon/park. Can I watch the fireworks show from the beach just outside my building and get the same experience with music piped in and everything or should I walk over to the main beach?

Edited to add: I wen ahead and walked over to the main beach. Great view from there, it seemed too off center from the beach near my room though I’m sure it would have been fine.
How loud are the fireworks from the beach? We are staying there next week. We want to see the MK fireworks but our dd2 is petrified of fireworks. I will most likely bring her back to the resort to watch them while dd11 and Dh stay at MK. Do you still hear the boom or just see the fireworks? Thanks

How loud are the fireworks from the beach? We are staying there next week. We want to see the MK fireworks but our dd2 is petrified of fireworks. I will most likely bring her back to the resort to watch them while dd11 and Dh stay at MK. Do you still hear the boom or just see the fireworks? Thanks

You will be able to hear the boom but it will be delayed and not nearly as loud as when in the park. Try searching Youtube "fireworks from Poly beach." You might be able to find video to give you an idea of how loud it is. Some of the bigger ones definitely create a nice boom.

You're definitely going to hear them. Certainly less than being in the park, but you'll hear booms.

I find there is a notable volume / feel difference depending on which way the wind is blowing.... if it's blowing away from you towards the fireworks, the sound tends to be more muffled.... if it's blowing towards you, the sound is less muffled/less delayed - more crisp if you will.

With any luck, maybe DD will be asleep by show time. :-)

I've stayed Poly and Poly CL more than other resorts and typically post on the CL thread as @PolyRob mentioned. Happy to answer any questions. While no resort or CL is perfect, we really love it there.

Just back from a 2 week trip. 4 days at Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort, 10 days at the Poly.

BWLBR - 0 complaints. Great hotel, huge room (2 queens, daybed, minifridge, microwave) amazing views of fireworks from MK, EP and DHS in their "Disney View" rooms. Quiet resort, lots of amenities, 5 minute walk to Disney Springs. $89/per night. We stayed there while visiting SeaWorld parks (SeaWorld, Discovery Cove and Aquatica). Loved it, will go back for sure when visiting non Disney parks.

Polynesian..... Ughhh.....

So, to start, I reserved a Pool/Marina view to get the free dining deal. I really wanted Rarotonga due to my knee injury, but knew by changing from Standard to Pool/Marina my chances would be slim.....and they were. We arrived and checked in at 10:30am and went to the MK until our room was ready around 3. We were given a beautiful 3rd fl room in Samoa. We walked in, everything was beautiful, then went directly to the balcony to see the "View". As soon as I opened the door, I was literally hit in the face with a plume of smoke from the Oasis Grill. I stood there for a moment trying to figure out what it was and thats when the burning smell hit my nose. Nope.... not for me. I was going to be there for 10 relaxing days and I did not want to not go outside. I went to the front desk and asked if there was any way I could swap rooms to anything the other side of the building, facing away from the oasis pool....or Rarotonga ;). They said I could go to Rarotonga, but I paid for pool/marina and that would be a downgrade. I told them I didnt mind and feel free to upgrade someone else with my room! They checked and nothing in Rarotonga was available until the following day. They then told me I could go to Fiji, but it was a bit further in distance. I didnt care at that point, I just wanted to be settled somewhere.

I took the Fiji room, facing the marina with a slight view of the lagoon and MK area, especially Space Mountain. Seems like they cut back the trees over by MK to give Poly guests a better theme park view! I saw more of the castle than I had ever seen before from the pool area.

One thing I learned, which I never knew before, is how the room numbers worked. They are 4 digits
1st number = floor number
2nd number = building number
3rd and 4th number are your room number

Moorea - Building 0
Pago Pago - Building 1
Aotearoa - Building 2
Fiji - Building 3
Tuvalu - Building 4
Hawaii - Building 5
Samoa - Building 6
Niue- Building 7
Rarotonga - Building 8

Bora Bora - 7000's
Tonga - Single and Double digits only

If you get a text with a room number starting with 7, start freaking out!!!

We once again grabbed our luggage and started heading to the side entrance near Trader Sams and were greeted by CM and what looked like a security officer asking us where were were going. I told them to our room in Fiji. They let us by! OMG...could it be true? Crowd control at the Poly? This was going to be great!!!

We get to the exit door and again, another CM and security asking where were were going. I told them and they told us to take the ramp instead of the stairs. Duhhh... we had our luggage and could not get it down the stairs! But something was off. I looked at my husband and said "I think something is going on here". We got to our room and were pleasantly surprised it overlooked the marina.

View attachment 427678

I dont have more photos uploaded yet, but this was looking off to the side one morning. We were directly facing the boats towards the end of the marina.

So we drop our luggage and head out to Captain Cooks to get our refillable mugs. We were greeted at the staircase by Trader Sams by security who asked us where were were going. I said to Captain Cooks. I was then told they were closed. Huh?? They are open 24 hours?? I said we had just checked in and were going to get our mugs. I was told we could go around the main pool area, over to the oasis pool to get a drink, but could not get mugs until the next day. So off I went, now limping, to the Oasis pool. On the way back, we were not allowed beyond the lobby area to cut across to our room, around the main pool/Marina again to get to Fiji. My knee was then shot. Done for the day. Luckily I could rest a couple of hours before dinner at the Wilderness Lodge. We planned to take the monorail to the Contemp, then ferry to WL, but decided to take the car to avoid the extra walking. When we got back from dinner, we had to go around the pool area again :(

View attachment 427734

Trader Sams, Pineapple Lanai and CC never reopened that day. We were never told what was going on, but I read online there was a water leek somewhere???

Next day, my BDay, we get up to go to GF for breakfast. We walked over to GCH to catch the monorail and were told it wasnt running yet (8:30ish??). We walked back, past our room and over to the GF for breakfast. After breakfast, we go upstairs to get the monorail and was told it wasnt running. period. They suggested we take the boat. We get to the boat area and there is a line a mile long. We decide to walk it. Now my leg is about to fall off. I wasnt prepared for all that walking so did not take advil or have my knee brace on. Luckily I planned an afternoon at the pool for that day (I rented a cabana at the oasis pool, but cancelled it the day before due to the smoke). We went to the main pool (10:30ish) and there was not a chair to be found. I couldnt stand for too long on my leg, so I went back to the room and my husband called me when a chair became available, about 40 minutes later. I went back to the pool area and was so happy to see it was a real chair, not a lounger, and table :) I swam a little, which helped my knee, then relaxed at the table. I did notice many many many people scanning there bands, then standing there calling for people inside saying "My band isnt working can you open the door for us?" and people letting them in....with their backpacks, park shopping bags etc... Clearly not guests. We stayed for about 1.5 hours and left. We went into the lobby, towards the back corridor and surprise...a security guard asking where we were going. Ughhh...to FIJI !! Nope, back around the pool! Another man and his family were there saying they were trying to get to Capt Cooks. They were told it was closed. He then asked where the nearest bathroom was, and was told to go to the 2nd floor. They turned around and were walking side by side with me when he said to his family "Well, that plan was a bust". Not sure what plan he was talking about??? They went out the front door.

After that, the monorail and all venues were up and running for the remainder of our trip.

The folllowing are my pros and cons...

Cons first (I like to end on a good note!)

Poly, as usual, is super crowded at all times. Hundreds of people in the GCH morning, noon and night. HUNDREDS. Monorail lines can get quite long at peak dining times and after luaus end. Crowded beach area nightly. The back corridor by Captain Cooks is always filled with people waiting to get into Trader Sams....and it smells like a brewery back there. Really stinks. The bathroom by Captain Cooks always has a short line in the hallway, plus companions waiting for their friends/family to get out of the bathrooms. If you are staying in Aotearoa or Fiji and use the back hallways to get to your room be prepared to battle the crowds/strollers to get out the door! Once youre out, youre free :)

Grill smoke fills the Oasis pool arrea and drifts over to Main pool in spurts throughout the day. When its bad, its really bad, but then youll get an hour or so break before they do whatever it is they are doing to create the smoke and smell, This is about 11am until 6pm.

Forget about going to Pineapple Lanai until about dinner time! The line is minimum 30 minutes. (If your order the swirl or twist, it is vanilla/pineapple swirl..not vanilla/chocolate like I assumed. My error, live and learn. I told the CM I thought it was chocolate/vanilla and he said "Nope" and pushed it further towards me. I took it, turned around and in the trash it went!)

Forget about going to Captain Cooks until after dinner time. The line is also minimum 20 - 30 minutes. During lunch, everyone in their wet bathing suits goes in and the floor is a wet filthy mess. No tables to sit at either. Contemporary QS has much more seating, better menu, and less guests overall. But their monorail queue is currently under construction and when getting off the monorail, you have to go down a flight of stairs, then back up to the 4th floor.

Moanas Mercantile has been downsized and they did away with the photo stand, pin station and special merchandise outside to make more room for.......people! ( waiting for dining/lines to the monorail)

All sofas and seating in the GCH is taken by families waiting for something. I noticed a lot of luggage too, so they either checked out and are waiting to leave (ME??), or checked in and are waiting for their room. Of course all the SoA and Ohana guests are waiting there too. They even opened a bar area on the first floor for waiting guests!

The 2 elevators in the GCH hold about 1 double stroller and 3 guests each. If you cant walk the staircase, the wait for the elevator can be long.

Pros....
Rooms are spacious and lovely as always.

The theme is beautiful, grounds and background music are tropical and relaxing. CMs go above and beyond and are always friendly.

The resort is rather small, so even the furthest building is not too far from the GCH/pool area.

My magical pixie dust moment was when my DD bought a gift for her teacher at DHS (trophy like award stating "best teacher". We went to Fantasmic after we bought it and somewhere between there and getting back to the Poly, it broke in the bag. We did not have plans to go back to DHS, so I went to the front desk and asked if there was any way to order a new one to be delivered to our room. I would pay for the new one and extra for the delivery, if it was possible. They happily said they would replace it free of charge and we had a new one in our room the following day when we returned from wherever it was we went. I felt really badly as I wanted to give a big tip to whoever brought it to us, but I never saw the person. I inquired at the front desk and was told not to worry about it :( It was very kind, above and beyond for them to do this for us.

Im sad to say, this will be my last trip there. I loved it as a child and returned many times as an adult hoping things would change back to the quiet days when I was a child, but it is never the case and I just can not relax while Im there. Other than the 2nd day, we didnt attempt the crowded pool area again and never once went to CC for anything other than to refill our mugs as the lines were too long.

To quote someones post recently, something so true..."its really an extension of the MK." Much too busy for my liking, at my age. I wished the whole time I had returned to the YC..so quiet! AK is also incredibly beautiful, but sadly so far from everything :(
We just got back from WDW last week and decided to visit the Poly one afternoon and get a dole whip. It wasn’t crowded at all anywhere. We had our mugs with us and CC wasn’t busy at all, only passed 1 other person in the hallway who was a CM. Only had 2 people in front of us at Pineapple Lanai too. We went inside to eat it and there were available chairs everywhere. We also used the elevator with no wait at all. In fact there was nobody else around. Hoping to stay there next September! 😊

Oh goodness. I've been wanting to stay here forever and we have rented DVC points for over Christmas. I thought eating at the hotel would not be as 'horrible' as in the parks, but now after reading comments about how crowded it always is, I'm quite worried. If you're staying in the hotel, when's the best times to go to Trader Sam's Grotto?
We were just there the afternoon of September 9th and it wasn’t busy at all anywhere.

We just got back from WDW last week and decided to visit the Poly one afternoon and get a dole whip. It wasn’t crowded at all anywhere. We had our mugs with us and CC wasn’t busy at all, only passed 1 other person in the hallway who was a CM. Only had 2 people in front of us at Pineapple Lanai too. We went inside to eat it and there were available chairs everywhere. We also used the elevator with no wait at all. In fact there was nobody else around. Hoping to stay there next September! 😊

Lucky lucky you! Not to take away from your experience, but.... you did visit at the slowest time of the year and I, mid August. But I have been before in October and it was crowded as usual. I cant wait for a September visit someday. My youngest graduates in 2.5 years so maybe in 2022 (fingers crossed)! She will also have January school breaks in college (again, finger crossed!!!) so that could be a slow time option too.

Lucky lucky you! Not to take away from your experience, but.... you did visit at the slowest time of the year and I, mid August. But I have been before in October and it was crowded as usual. I cant wait for a September visit someday. My youngest graduates in 2.5 years so maybe in 2022 (fingers crossed)! She will also have January school breaks in college (again, finger crossed!!!) so that could be a slow time option too.
Next year we’re going the last 2 days of August thru the first week of September. We don’t usually go before Labor Day so I’m hoping it’s not a bad decision.

Next year we’re going the last 2 days of August thru the first week of September. We don’t usually go before Labor Day so I’m hoping it’s not a bad decision.

Ive heard the last week of August is literally the best time to go. Not sure about weatherwise, but Touring Plans had those days all at 1s. I was looking only to see the crowd levels at HS, thinking they would be high with the opening of SWGE, but it was DEAD. I think Dorian had a bit to do with that too though. Lots of flights and trips cancelled.

One week from today I will be at the Poly!!! We were supposed to go in July but we had to cut our trip short due to a house emergency. This will be our first Poly stay and we are so excited. Our only plans that first pretty much full day since we are taking a red eye flight are to 'enjoy the Poly'.

Ive heard the last week of August is literally the best time to go. Not sure about weatherwise, but Touring Plans had those days all at 1s. I was looking only to see the crowd levels at HS, thinking they would be high with the opening of SWGE, but it was DEAD. I think Dorian had a bit to do with that too though. Lots of flights and trips cancelled.
Good to know about August. Thanks!

One week from today I will be at the Poly!!! We were supposed to go in July but we had to cut our trip short due to a house emergency. This will be our first Poly stay and we are so excited. Our only plans that first pretty much full day since we are taking a red eye flight are to 'enjoy the Poly'.
We’ve stayed at The Poly twice. First time was a complete surprise for us cause we had actually booked a garden wing room at The Contemporary but due to them overbooking we were offered a room at The Grand Floridian but I turned it down so they asked me where I wanted to stay and I said The Poly so they gave us a concierge room. Awesome! Second time we just had a standard room and the monorail would go by our room which we thought was so cool. Hope you have a great time!

Ooh. We stay there end of this week. What time of day did you visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!