(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait. We have SNOW today up here.

We had snow AND ice!! It was like an ice rink driving my girls to school this morning. We should've had a 2-hour delay because it was all cleared up and sunny by 10am. Anyway....just wanted to say enjoy RPC - to me, there is nothing like waking up at RPC during the Christmas season!!

We had snow AND ice!! It was like an ice rink driving my girls to school this morning. We should've had a 2-hour delay because it was all cleared up and sunny by 10am. Anyway....just wanted to say enjoy RPC - to me, there is nothing like waking up at RPC during the Christmas season!!
Thanks!

Cant wait to sit and listen to the orchestra and enjoy the GB house.

I think it was you ? that mentioned rooms 4x09 have a larger balcony. So i requested one.

Wish me luck !

Hi everyone, I'm just back from my first-ever stay at the GF and I thought I'd post a mini-review. Not sure if this is the right place for it but I do know people read here when they are trying to decide where to stay but maybe this thread is only for those who've already decided?

So.....

My Group: Party of 16 ranging in ages from 83 down to 3 years old. Two members required ECVs.

I would have to say that my vacation kind of started out on the wrong foot months ago. When we booked our 6 rooms, we really wanted to stay at the Contemporary due to having a great stay there last year (Garden Wing) but 5 months out, it was already booked for standard rooms. We told the CM that we desired a monorail resort due to the ECV users and small children and we wanted to limit time on having to use a bus. We were offered the GF and we were using a military discount. We were pretty clear with the CM, while on the phone, that one of the members of our trip had terminal cancer, had mobility issues, a walk-in shower was needed and that, if it could be done, an adjoining room with her was needed. He put us on hold for quite some time to go talk with the room scheduler (5 months out), came back and said that a medical need had been noted and that there would be no issues with the group. We didn't know enough to ask what that meant but we assumed that it was likely my aunt would get an adjoining room with her daughter who was on the phone with me booking her room and took for granted, based on the conversation we were having, that it would be a HA room.

As the trip got closer and we were looking at rooms in MDE, I felt like my aunt's room information should have mentioned HA. It didn't. I won't go into all the details as I already posted for help here weeks ago, but she did not get a HA room and the resort was booked. I worked with all sorts of people before I left for the trip to try to get something fixed but couldn't. Guest Services was very nice about it and tried to move all of us but it didn't work out. The Guest Services rep assured me that she used to intern at the GF and that *something * would be done when we got there to make it happen and that we would likely have no issues. She told me that I could also request devices to be used in the room to help her shower access.

Arrival: Our arrival day was great. We got in around 11AM to the resort and some of our rooms started to be ready at about 1:00. When we all finally got checked in, we found we had 6 rooms on the first floor of Sago Cay. I believe the mobility issues were taken into account in choosing this building and floor. No need to use the elevators and it was the closest to the main building and Gasparilla Grill; also very close to the handicapped parking lot. My aunt was not given an HA room nor was she put in an adjoining room with anyone else in the party. We went back to the front desk to ask for the shower access device through Housekeeping explaining all the previous drama about the need for HA and what had happened when booking. The hotel was at 100% capacity and no room changes could be made that day. I, personally, had two rooms of the six (one for me and DH and one for my adult kids and their friend). My immediate family was put in adjoining rooms that were right in the lobby itself right next to the elevator. And when I say "right next to the elevator" I mean that that I could lean out my room door and shake hands with someone waiting for the elevator. I thought it odd but with a positive Pollyanna attitude thought that "surely" this wouldn't be an issue. My aunt's mobility shower device did not get delivered until the next day and we had to ask for it again. For our 6 rooms, we had reserved one Theme Park View and the rest were supposed to be Standard Garden View, Outer Building. We ended up with the one Theme Park View, Four garden view rooms, and one Lagoon View (my parents got that one).

My rooms: Well, I have to say that after all 5 of us in my party had a sleepless night situated next to the elevator, I was miserable. Even my husband, who can sleep through anything, was complaining (he was even wearing earplugs). After the fireworks, people about 12 deep were lined up outside my room door, waiting for the elevators, whooping it up, laughing, shouting, etc. I don't blame them. There was a lot of noise outside the room doors through about midnight. It finally quieted down to where all you could really hear was the random "ding" of the elevator. Around 3:30 a.m. people starting milling about again in the lobby here and there. They would have whole conversations outside my room door waiting for the elevator. People would let their kids play in the atrium lobby late at night or early in the morning and there was a lot of "outside" voices going on. I'm not complaining about the people, it's vacation. But IMO, GF should not put rooms there. Later in the trip, as I explored some of the other outer buildings, I noted that many of the other buildings which were probably newer, did not put rooms there. They were storage closets, housekeeping closets, etc.

My DH went to the front desk very early the next morning and got our 2 rooms changed. It was supposed to be our MK day but we got there a little late because we had to totally repack our stuff up (yes, I had fully unpacked). My kids' new room was ready around 2:30 but nothing heard on ours (which was to be another adjoining room), my DH kept calling and we were told that they didn't know the status of the room and that they were going to send a manager over to do a walk through of the room. I don't think they knew my husband was sitting right outside the room. No one ever came to check the room, he kept calling and they finally let us in. Then his band wouldn't work. My DH was in my son's room calling about it and it was probably the one time someone got "snotty" with him at the desk and said "How can you say your band doesn't work? You are calling from your room." to which he had to say that it was his second room. That was all finally fixed around 5PM. My DH later went back to the front desk to somewhat complain about the original rooms and how loud they were and that he couldn't believe they were actually tolerated by guests and about the delays in getting into the next set of rooms. The GF ended up giving us a $200 "guest inconvenience" credit. My DH told her he wasn't really looking for anything but just wanted to provide feedback. So out of a 7 night stay, I had a little bump in the road and "loss" of room for about 8 hours. I guess the $200 covers that.

Our new rooms were on the 3rd floor and were now lagoon view. They were very nice, comfortable, and mousekeeping was great. Towels were thick/plush and everything was really clean.

Complaining done. After all that, everything went well. I've read some reports over the past few weeks that people have felt the staff at the GF was unfriendly or service was not great but every staff member we encountered was really nice, helpful, and friendly.

Gasparilla Island Grill was good. I especially liked the steel cut oatmeal option in the morning. That was a favorite of our group. The pizza was also very good. The salad option was REALLY good and I wish I had taken more advantage of that. Very, very good. For $12 you pick your greens, toppings, and any protein/meat and they toss it all up in a big bowl for you and provide your dressing in it or on the side. It was enough for my husband and I to split for lunch one day and was one of the few "vegetables" I got on the trip. I wanted to have more of it but just ran out of time.

I do have to say, though, that I'd give an edge to the Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary. I think they have better sandwich options and bakery items (if you're into cupcakes/cakes, which I am). I didn't care for the sandwiches I had at Gasparilla and one night several of us got the "Thanksgiving" sandwich. I've had these before over the years and this one was pretty bad. I thought about getting the Fish Reuben but the CM told me it was made with tilapia which is not a fish I care for.

We spent some time at the Courtyard Pool. The pool area was great and the hot dogs were very good from the pool bar.

We sat out one night at the marina area and watch fireworks (very good viewing). After that, I could sit on my balcony with my Lagoon view, look over to the right, and see quite a bit of the fireworks with the lagoon view. Loved seeing the monorail go by.

I've visited the Grand *many* times on other trips and always felt the lobby was pretty relaxing with all the chairs, etc. This year it seemed to me that it was SO crowded and packed and full of people that I never once sat in there because I just wanted to get out of there. I don't know what has changed. If the week I went was super busy (I normally go in the dead of the summer) or if some of the restaurants are just drawing in more people to resort. They were building the gingerbread house but that, honestly, didn't seem to be attracting a lot of people. This place was HOPPING. I thought the Contemporary was "bustling" but this had it beat, at least this week.

Overall, we had a nice time but I don't think any of us, even in my extended party, got WOWed by the GF. I was really hoping that it would happen to me and I wouldn't feel wistful over the Contemporary, but I guess I just didn't find the GF "magic" that others seem to find. I thought it was funny that the others in my party didn't either (and they had never stayed at any other resort besides Shades of Green and that was about 20 years ago). I'm sure everyone on this thread will hate that I've said that. I wish I could put my finger on what was missing, but I can't (probably Club Level :) ).

Oh, one last thing:

Parking: Everyone was charged for parking even though we had 3 handicapped access. For instance, I had a placard yet both of my rooms were charged (even though we only had one car). I had that adjusted at the front desk midway through the trip. The CM removed charges and then told me that she was putting in a code so no further charges would come on. Looking over my bill this morning, I see that I was again charged for 3 more nights of parking. I need to get my son's bill from him and then email Disney to have this corrected. Grrrr..., I should have paid better attention before I left.

Anyway, if anyone has any specific questions, my memory is still fresh so ask away!

Last edited:

Thanks for all the beautiful pictures @trishadono . I was wondering how the weather is? Hopefully I'll be there next year around this time with the kids...or a little earlier.

Also, did you visit the Enchanted Rose? I was wondering how it is.

Have a wonderful magical trip!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter