(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question I honestly should know...Is the monorail running at all from the GF?

Yep, it is. The latest hours have been 7am-7pm, but it doesn’t start dropping off at MK until after 8:25am (the earlier service is to get around for monorail resort dining). Monorail resort buses have been running 7pm-11pm to get around for evening dining.

Hope that helps!

I realize the resort has only been open a short time, but can anyone verify what the housekeeping schedule is currently? I know they had announced reduced services when DW reopened, but I haven’t seen if anything has changed. I am trying to plan ahead for tipping, etc.

We have had housekeeping every other day -- not entirely sure what they do while here, we haven't been in the room. There have been new towels, garbage is empty and I think they changed the top sheet one time. So, definitely limited but it has been adequate for our needs.

Fun!

I’m still curious about the status the kids splash pad and if it’s open yet from whatever work they were doing.

It has definitely been open and well used on hot days! I don't know the hours, but there are definitely a few families enjoying the splash pool when the weather has permitted. (It's SUPER stormy right now so I think they have cleared all the pools!)

I'll be there right before you...we get in on Monday if I don't chicken out....lol.

DH, DD & DS are so ready to go as am I, but keep hearing how its getting crowded. I doubt we'll cancel, but I am so upset because this is usually such an exciting time for me...the right before the luggage comes out.:mad:

Might just be an eternal optimist, but I’ve been reading/watching these boards long enough that I tend to take “crowded” comments with a grain of salt.

Crowded of course has a different meaning to everyone, even more so now with COVID, but I think there is much fun/magic to be had with the right approach/mindset. I was there Labor Day weekend, which to me was pretty crowded - but we did the usual zig/zag/adjust, just like we would any other time. People around the DIS see a photo or report here or there and suddenly it becomes a major statement of fact. Rope drop is your friend, late day touring is your friend, maybe try to eat at off peak times - probably all things I would have said pre-COVID as well.

Anyway, I’m rambling and offering unsolicited opinions/advice. Regardless, I hope you have a great trip and great stay at GF.

It has definitely been open and well used on hot days! I don't know the hours, but there are definitely a few families enjoying the splash pool when the weather has permitted. (It's SUPER stormy right now so I think they have cleared all the pools!)

View attachment 528787

Well you just made my day - thank you @AngelsAmongUs!

Nice picture by the way. Curious if I can ask, did you get a room in the main building or is that taken from a public area?

We paid for Garden View -- main building rooms weren't even offered but we arrived to find we'd been assigned one. We've been in the main building before but never on this end. The resort overall is fairly quiet so it's been nice to be over on the side where we can see and hear the lively fun happening at the pools in the afternoons.

We paid for Garden View -- main building rooms weren't even offered but we arrived to find we'd been assigned one. We've been in the main building before but never on this end. The resort overall is fairly quiet so it's been nice to be over on the side where we can see and hear the lively fun happening at the pools in the afternoons.

Well damn, you are just crushing it with all of my reopening questions today. Thank you!

I “assumed” they’d probably assign some people rooms in the main building rather than keep them shuttered - glad to see that’s possible.

Although I guess “main building” is now going to become a popular request so long as RPC isn’t bookable.

Thanks again.

Like others have written, I feel I should know the answer to my question, but I've gotten mixed responses! Are both pools open at GF? We are arriving on October 17th, no parks, just enjoying the resort before hunkering down for a Chicago Covid winter. Thank you for your help!

Yep, it is. The latest hours have been 7am-7pm, but it doesn’t start dropping off at MK until after 8:25am (the earlier service is to get around for monorail resort dining). Monorail resort buses have been running 7pm-11pm to get around for evening dining.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much, my family would never be up to get to any park at 8:00 so thats good for us.

Might just be an eternal optimist, but I’ve been reading/watching these boards long enough that I tend to take “crowded” comments with a grain of salt.

Crowded of course has a different meaning to everyone, even more so now with COVID, but I think there is much fun/magic to be had with the right approach/mindset. I was there Labor Day weekend, which to me was pretty crowded - but we did the usual zig/zag/adjust, just like we would any other time. People around the DIS see a photo or report here or there and suddenly it becomes a major statement of fact. Rope drop is your friend, late day touring is your friend, maybe try to eat at off peak times - probably all things I would have said pre-COVID as well.

Anyway, I’m rambling and offering unsolicited opinions/advice. Regardless, I hope you have a great trip and great stay at GF.

Thank you so much, I appreciate any and all of your opinions and advice. My family is thinking like you, but I am the worrier. There is so much information and I am getting so confused. Which is strange, Disney is usually were I am my least confused...lol.

We are not rope drop people my kids are 26 and 23, need I say more. We usually like early to middle of the day, we like a slow morning or an afternoon in the pool. It is what it is and we'll roll with the punches, thanks again for all your help.

Well damn, you are just crushing it with all of my reopening questions today. Thank you!

I “assumed” they’d probably assign some people rooms in the main building rather than keep them shuttered - glad to see that’s possible.

Although I guess “main building” is now going to become a popular request so long as RPC isn’t bookable.

Thanks again.
I’m dying here! Lol I WANT it!

Thanks again.

I figured they were doing it to distance the housekeepers and guests from one another, rather than cramming everyone into the same area?? Not sure why, really?

I really think there would be no harm in requesting main building; it's not bookable right now, so why not request it?

PS: All 3 pools have been open when the weather's good!

@WishesQueen there should be plenty of places to enjoy yourself safely. Dd and I were so surprised how quiet it is. The pathway to poly pretty quiet with poly resort side closed. It’s kind of too quiet! However we really enjoyed strolling poly and gf and makes for a relaxing break.

If the elevator makes you nervous in your building don’t forget the stairwells are on the ends of each building. I often used the ones in SL. Try not to get a 5th floor.

For those arriving soon. I always make a map. I have GV so I didn’t write down numbers on the ends of the building for MK views. However if number higher than what I show then you would be on the end of the building FYI.

Sago building 5, 2nd digit is floor 02-38 faces mono, 01-37 faces marina,

Sugar Loaf Building 6 2nd digit is floor 01-27 faces Marina, 02-28 faces Courtyard Pool

Conch Building 7 2nd digit is floor 01-23 Marina facing 02-24 Courtyard Pool

Boca Chica 8 2nd digit is floor 02-38 Courtyard Pool. 01-37 Lagoon Facing

Big Pine Key 9 2nd digit is floor 02- 40 Courtyard Pool. 01-39 Courtyard Pool

Attachments

• BE8842FE-2F11-4E54-95FE-DD2094DF469F.png
    BE8842FE-2F11-4E54-95FE-DD2094DF469F.png
    263.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 01F6CD39-F7D2-4EDD-926F-5B8BC7F775AF.png
    01F6CD39-F7D2-4EDD-926F-5B8BC7F775AF.png
    268.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 22475B85-AFB5-4BA6-A93F-E79B59FFE2FA.png
    22475B85-AFB5-4BA6-A93F-E79B59FFE2FA.png
    255.9 KB · Views: 9
  • C7B5ABFF-570F-49C2-9A48-771910E12AD6.png
    C7B5ABFF-570F-49C2-9A48-771910E12AD6.png
    257.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
@WishesQueen there should be plenty of places to enjoy yourself safely. Dd and I were so surprised how quiet it is. The pathway to poly pretty quiet with poly resort side closed. It’s kind of too quiet! However we really enjoyed strolling poly and gf and makes for a relaxing break.

If the elevator makes you nervous in your building don’t forget the stairwells are on the ends of each building. I often used the ones in SL. Try not to get a 5th floor.

For those arriving soon. I always make a map. I have GV so I didn’t write down numbers on the ends of the building for MK views. However if number higher than what I show then you would be on the end of the building FYI.

Sago building 5, 2nd digit is floor 02-38 faces mono, 01-37 faces marina,

Sugar Loaf Building 6 2nd digit is floor 01-27 faces Marina, 02-28 faces Courtyard Pool

Conch Building 7 2nd digit is floor 01-23 Marina facing 02-24 Courtyard Pool

Boca Chica 8 2nd digit is floor 02-38 Courtyard Pool. 01-37 Lagoon Facing

Big Pine Key 9 2nd digit is floor 02- 40 Courtyard Pool. 01-39 Courtyard Pool

Thanks so much!

I love working out at home, I am on my Peloton 6 days a week plus other work outs. I am not crazy about the covid situation, I feel masks, purell, lysol and lots of hand washing while keeping social distancing is good for me. But I am not into working out with a mask....so my question is...how far do you think the walk to poly is? and how far do you think the walk to MK will be if the walk way opens? I would love to at least get in as many miles as possible in the morning.

Build
Thanks so much!

I love working out at home, I am on my Peloton 6 days a week plus other work outs. I am not crazy about the covid situation, I feel masks, purell, lysol and lots of hand washing while keeping social distancing is good for me. But I am not into working out with a mask....so my question is...how far do you think the walk to poly is? and how far do you think the walk to MK will be if the walk way opens? I would love to at least get in as many miles as possible in the morning.
I have been walking to/from poly for years. Yet I have not tracked it! I want to say I did track cr to mk and that was less than a mile depending on start and end points but over 7/10ths. Both walks similar lengths.

I usually do 10000+ steps a day with 13000-14000 my average. At disney usually 17-22000. If you walk from gf to poly and feel good continue to path in front of Hawaii and walk down past Moreea and loop around it and back through middle of resort. It really is pretty quiet and you should not have any crowd issues.

I also walk all of gf grounds. It is fun to check it all out.

I too have been WFH and dh has a peloton but I prefer to walk/jog in my quiet neighborhood. Maybe when it cools down I will give it a try.

Thanks so much!

FWIW, I run in the mornings and did several Poly to GF runs in July. One of my favorite places to run at WDW, BTW. But in my experience running on that path, at BLT/CR, and at YC, while some runners have had masks, most did not. Some wear gaiters and pull it up while passing. I personally did not wear a mask while running at GF/Poly.

A BLT recreation CM told me masks were not required while running on the trails, only coming to/from said activity, although I suspect you may get different answers from different CMs on that one.

Depending on your exact path and starting/end points, you can get around .8-1 miles between roughly the Beaches Pool and the Poly path to the TTC. I like to make the turn around the GF Villa building although you can keep going more into the main GF grounds towards Gaspy’s if you want and turn around there. TBD how far down the soon to be opened path they’ll let you go - but I am super intrigued by that part.

Not sure if helpful or even remotely relevant to your question, but hope it helps!

Build

I have been walking to/from poly for years. Yet I have not tracked it! I want to say I did track cr to mk and that was less than a mile depending on start and end points but over 7/10ths. Both walks similar lengths.

I usually do 10000+ steps a day with 13000-14000 my average. At disney usually 17-22000. If you walk from gf to poly and feel good continue to path in front of Hawaii and walk down past Moreea and loop around it and back through middle of resort. It really is pretty quiet and you should not have any crowd issues.

I also walk all of gf grounds. It is fun to check it all out.

I too have been WFH and dh has a peloton but I prefer to walk/jog in my quiet neighborhood. Maybe when it cools down I will give it a try.
FWIW, I run in the mornings and did several Poly to GF runs in July. One of my favorite places to run at WDW, BTW. But in my experience running on that path, at BLT/CR, and at YC, while some runners have had masks, most did not. Some wear gaiters and pull it up while passing. I personally did not wear a mask while running at GF/Poly.

A BLT recreation CM told me masks were not required while running on the trails, only coming to/from said activity, although I suspect you may get different answers from different CMs on that one.

Depending on your exact path and starting/end points, you can get around .8-1 miles between roughly the Beaches Pool and the Poly path to the TTC. I like to make the turn around the GF Villa building although you can keep going more into the main GF grounds towards Gaspy’s if you want and turn around there. TBD how far down the soon to be opened path they’ll let you go - but I am super intrigued by that part.

Not sure if helpful or even remotely relevant to your question, but hope it helps!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Gotta plans to exercise so I can enjoy those cocktails :rolleyes1

You are guys are really helping to get me excited for this strange trip:flower1:

After 6 years, 740 pages, 1 million views, nearly 15,000 replies, and countless friendships made and questions answered... and as has been done from time to time over the history of these resort FAQ threads... it’s time to turn the corner to a NEW Grand Floridian thread.

The new thread can be found here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/disneys-grand-floridian-resort-spa-information-questions.3814628/

Many thanks to @mrsap for agreeing to be the OP of the new thread. And a huge thanks to the OP of this thread - @k&a&c’smom and to the countless DISers who have contributed over the years.

:thanks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter