Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

Has anyone done group camping at FW? DH and DS just signed up for a scout camping weekend at FW Creekside Meadow. They have the option to rent a tent ($30/night) and cots ($4ea/night) from Disney, or bring their own. We don’t own a tent or cots yet, this is our first year in cub scouts. I’m sure we’ll need to buy stuff at some point, but trying to decide if we should put off that purchase for now and just rent from Disney for this trip. Anyone rented tents from them before, are they decent quality and what would you recommend? Bonus if you have pics of the rental tents!

Last edited:
Anyone rented tents from them before, are they decent quality and what would you recommend?

I have not stayed in the group camping area, but I do know that Disney rents tents. A few trips back I seen them setting up one of there tents, sorry no pics, it was a Kodiak canvas tent, maybe a 10x10 (google Kodiak canvas for pic) I know that if you put more than two cots in it, it will be tight. And then about two trips ago, I seen them setting up new nylon type tents, again not very big and I don't know what brand they were, sorry, again no pics and not sure what to google. Depending on how long they will be camping, I would rent the tent and cots for a 2 night stay any thing longer I would consider buying. The group camping site is Primitive camping area, the only water and electric is at the Comfort Station with in the camping area.

Please pardon some clueless questions from a WDW newbie.

We are spending an afternoon at Ft Wilderness. Half our group is going horse riding (not the pony rides), the other half wants to visit the stables. I gather that the stables are near the dock/Pioneer Hall.

We are all then going to do archery, which seems to be at the Bike Barn in the middle of the resort. We then are going for dinner at Trails End, then to AK for the evening.

1. What is the walk like between the barn area and the Meadow Depot? Is it uphill? Any idea how far it is? I have some mobility issues and use a walking stick. I’m wondering whether we should try to hire a golf car, but that seems excessive, and may not be possible.

2. We are coming from POR. I think our best bet is either the boat from MK, or a Minnie Van. Am I missing anything?

3. We have about 90 mins between the end of horse riding and the start of archery. Is there anything in particular that we should do while we are at the Fort? I would love to see some real wildlife, but I’m not sure if we have enough time or energy to wander too far.

Thank you.

Please pardon some clueless questions from a WDW newbie.

We are spending an afternoon at Ft Wilderness. Half our group is going horse riding (not the pony rides), the other half wants to visit the stables. I gather that the stables are near the dock/Pioneer Hall.

We are all then going to do archery, which seems to be at the Bike Barn in the middle of the resort. We then are going for dinner at Trails End, then to AK for the evening.

1. What is the walk like between the barn area and the Meadow Depot? Is it uphill? Any idea how far it is? I have some mobility issues and use a walking stick. I’m wondering whether we should try to hire a golf car, but that seems excessive, and may not be possible.

2. We are coming from POR. I think our best bet is either the boat from MK, or a Minnie Van. Am I missing anything?

3. We have about 90 mins between the end of horse riding and the start of archery. Is there anything in particular that we should do while we are at the Fort? I would love to see some real wildlife, but I’m not sure if we have enough time or energy to wander too far.

Thank you.

You are correct on your locations. The stables are at the Settlement, Pioneer hall, while the horse back riding is about 1 mile away, as the crow flies, up at the front of the Campground located at the Outpost, check-in area. The bike barn is located about center of the resort, roughly 1/2 mile from Settlement - Outpost.

Fort Wilderness is generally flat with winding sidewalks. A golf cart would not be necessary, unless you feel like you should need one. They are located up at the front of the resort at the Outpost, and rent for 59.00 plus tax a day.

If coming from POR, you could take Minnie Van or the boat from MK, again depending on your mobility issues you could walk over to the Contemporary and take the small boat from there that runs to the Fort. There is one step to get down in to the boat.

As for the 90 minute break, depending on what day of the week and time that you visit you could always get Brunch, served Saturday and Sunday until 2:00. There is also a snack bar at the Pool that is near the Bike Barn for snacks and some picnic tables there as well.

As for wild life you might see some turkeys, definitely will see squirrels, and again depending on the time of day, those taking the horse back ride might see some deer.

Hope some of this helps.

You are correct on your locations. The stables are at the Settlement, Pioneer hall, while the horse back riding is about 1 mile away, as the crow flies, up at the front of the Campground located at the Outpost, check-in area. The bike barn is located about center of the resort, roughly 1/2 mile from Settlement - Outpost.

Fort Wilderness is generally flat with winding sidewalks. A golf cart would not be necessary, unless you feel like you should need one. They are located up at the front of the resort at the Outpost, and rent for 59.00 plus tax a day.

If coming from POR, you could take Minnie Van or the boat from MK, again depending on your mobility issues you could walk over to the Contemporary and take the small boat from there that runs to the Fort. There is one step to get down in to the boat.

As for the 90 minute break, depending on what day of the week and time that you visit you could always get Brunch, served Saturday and Sunday until 2:00. There is also a snack bar at the Pool that is near the Bike Barn for snacks and some picnic tables there as well.

As for wild life you might see some turkeys, definitely will see squirrels, and again depending on the time of day, those taking the horse back ride might see some deer.

Hope some of this helps.

This is hugely helpful - thank you so much! It is definitely larger than I thought, but if it is mostly flat then I should be ok. I will make a note of the fact that the Outpost is where I can rent a gold cart, and get a Minnie Van to drop us there is I'm having a day when I think I will need to hire one. Thank you!

Hope some of this helps.

All very good info- about the golf cart rental- is that something that can be done day of, or should it be reserved in advance? Thanks!

All very good info- about the golf cart rental- is that something that can be done day of, or should it be reserved in advance? Thanks!
If you know you want one and what day you want it, I would reserve ahead of time. No payment required before the rental starts and you can call and cancel if you decide later you don't want it. Better to have it reserved so you're not disappointed when you get there if they're sold out.

If you know you want one and what day you want it, I would reserve ahead of time. No payment required before the rental starts and you can call and cancel if you decide later you don't want it. Better to have it reserved so you're not disappointed when you get there if they're sold out.

Perfect- thank you so much!!!

I’ve been scrolling through all the pages here, but looking for some feedback from people who’ve stayed in a tent and how they liked it. Driving down tomorrow, debating between a tent or an all-star.

I’ve been scrolling through all the pages here, but looking for some feedback from people who’ve stayed in a tent and how they liked it. Driving down tomorrow, debating between a tent or an all-star.

I have stayed in a tent at the Fort many of times. We enjoy it. We have a 2 queen airbeds, 6 foot table, plastic 2 drawer night nightstand, and a fan. We were down the beginning of Aug. this year and brought our portable a/c with us, and we are glad we did.
You could also ask your question on the camping forum as well, there are several that have camped in a tent.

Hi! My question is for the cabin goers. I have 3 kids, 2 with autism, and I’m trying to determine if a FW cabin is right for us. Here are the things that are important to us:
- access to a pool
- access to pizza
- seeing fireworks
- quick and easy access to bathrooms

My crew is ok with noise, ok with walking to destinations. I do t want to be VERY far from food, or pools, but a little walk is no big deal, and if necessary, (and if 5 can fit) we would rent a golf cart.

Any suggestions on what “loop” to stay in with the above in mind? I have never been to FW- we stayed in the contemporary last time and this amounts totally different.

Thanks!

Hi! My question is for the cabin goers. I have 3 kids, 2 with autism, and I’m trying to determine if a FW cabin is right for us. Here are the things that are important to us:
- access to a pool
- access to pizza
- seeing fireworks
- quick and easy access to bathrooms

My crew is ok with noise, ok with walking to destinations. I do t want to be VERY far from food, or pools, but a little walk is no big deal, and if necessary, (and if 5 can fit) we would rent a golf cart.

Any suggestions on what “loop” to stay in with the above in mind? I have never been to FW- we stayed in the contemporary last time and this amounts totally different.

Thanks!
We love the cabins and the campground! I would suggest requesting loop 2500 to be right by the quiet pool which also has a laundry room. The fort has internal busses that run through the campground quite frequent to take guests around. We get a golf cart because we enjoy the convenience. We've rode 5 on a cart with no issue. The seats are bench seats and 3 can fit across the back seat fairly easily. A small child could sit in the middle of the front seat. As long as everyone can get their butt on the seat and are not standing, you're good.

The fort is fairly spread out. The cabin loops are closer to the busses to the non-MK parks. The boat dock to the MK is at the opposite end. The main pool is in the middle.

Pizza can be found at P&Js takeout adjacent to trails end. This is near the boat dock at the settlement. The snack bar at the main pool also had pizza.

I have not seen the new MK show from the fort beach so I can't comment on that. It was a nice place to watch the fireworks they do during the Christmas party though. The music is piped in.

I'm not sure what you mean about bathroom access? Are you thinking the cabins are primitive? They definitely are not. They have a bathroom, full kitchen, a/c, big screen tv, charcoal grill, deck with picnic table. All the comforts of home. Maybe you are wondering about using the comfort station for an extra shower? This is when a golf cart would be handy again to go over to one of the camping loops to use the facilities there. The pool has restrooms but not showers.

Go here and scroll down to find a map of the fort:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/fort-wilderness-resort-information-a-work-in-progress.3502095/
Or here

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/maps...walt-disney-world-resort-hotel-maps/30037.htm

Hope this helps!

I’m worried about bathroom access if we are at the pool and far from the cabins. I guess it would make more sense to ask, are there bathrooms by the pool?

We love the cabins and the campground! I would suggest requesting loop 2500 to be right by the quiet pool which also has a laundry room. The fort has internal busses that run through the campground quite frequent to take guests around. We get a golf cart because we enjoy the convenience. We've rode 5 on a cart with no issue. The seats are bench seats and 3 can fit across the back seat fairly easily. A small child could sit in the middle of the front seat. As long as everyone can get their butt on the seat and are not standing, you're good.

The fort is fairly spread out. The cabin loops are closer to the busses to the non-MK parks. The boat dock to the MK is at the opposite end. The main pool is in the middle.

Pizza can be found at P&Js takeout adjacent to trails end. This is near the boat dock at the settlement. The snack bar at the main pool also had pizza.

I have not seen the new MK show from the fort beach so I can't comment on that. It was a nice place to watch the fireworks they do during the Christmas party though. The music is piped in.

I'm not sure what you mean about bathroom access? Are you thinking the cabins are primitive? They definitely are not. They have a bathroom, full kitchen, a/c, big screen tv, charcoal grill, deck with picnic table. All the comforts of home. Maybe you are wondering about using the comfort station for an extra shower? This is when a golf cart would be handy again to go over to one of the camping loops to use the facilities there. The pool has restrooms but not showers.

Go here and scroll down to find a map of the fort:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/fort-wilderness-resort-information-a-work-in-progress.3502095/
Or here

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/maps...walt-disney-world-resort-hotel-maps/30037.htm

Hope this helps!
This is such an amazing, well formed response! Thank you greatly!

So just how bad is it having to take internal buses to the Outpost to get to the parks or to the Settlement to get to MK? Very tempted by the cabin as we spend a lot of time at the resort and it seems fun, but worried about transportation hassles.

So just how bad is it having to take internal buses to the Outpost to get to the parks or to the Settlement to get to MK? Very tempted by the cabin as we spend a lot of time at the resort and it seems fun, but worried about transportation hassles.

Well that depends. For MK, plan on an early wake-up and either walk to the boat dock or get early to a bus stop (fewer buses run before breakfast time). We drive to the non-MK parks from FW since we get free parking as a guest and that give us some control as to "when".

Does once still require an Internet modem as outlined in the opening pages of this thread?

No the WIFI works fine but it is subject to busy times with slower speeds (breakfast and after dinner hours). But it is fine for loggin onto the DIS anytime.

Bama ED

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!