Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT and BAY LAKE TOWER Information and Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by WDWKOOK, Mar 12, 2014.

1. WDWKOOK

WDWKOOK NOW WITH LESS TAG!

2. Lyons Family

Lyons Family Mouseketeer

OMG

About time

We were at the Contemporary and our time to board the magical express was 9am.

Our flight was for 11:45am.

REALLY

Then calling the number on our reservation I found out that the Contemporary would be the first of three stops to MCO.

We had TSA pre-cert., but were very concerned we would have enough time to safely get to the gate.

We did UBER, and bypassed the bus.

Cost us $37 including tip.

We included in our evaluation this time constraint, and am so happy to see the change.

TY Disney for listening

Sue

Wheelwatcher likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. KurtC

KurtC Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for the details!! It sounds awesome and now I am less concerned about the pace.

5. AaronInWI

AaronInWI Mouseketeer

Back when we used to fly (we've driven the past three trips), we nearly missed our plane due to DME. We were on our bus on time, but at one of the later stops (Wilderness Lodge maybe?) we were delayed because of another guest. I don't remember the details, I just remember my wife and I being very frustrated that this person was completely disorganized, held the rest of us up, and might have made us late. The only thing that saved us was that our flight was delayed by an hour; I got the text on our way to the airport telling us this. And we still only had about 20 minutes to spare before boarding. So yeah, if we still flew I'd be 100% in favor of this.

6. DizMomAndWife

DizMomAndWife Mouseketeer

Has anyone shopped for groceries at Fantasia Market recently and perhaps have pictures? We're going to have to buy a few things, and I want to budget as close as possible. TIA!

7. prmatz

prmatz Earning My Ears

How late does luggage services stay open at BLT? Had to drop bags hoping to get them after the Christmas party tonight. Hoping to pick them up instead of waiting for drop off.

8. Roxyfire

Roxyfire Is butter a carb?

They close up a lot earlier than that. So you'll have to get them the next morning.

9. smooreo

smooreo Mouseketeer

We leave tomorrow and arrive Sunday for our second BLT stay. So excited!

Dishwasher and laundry soap - are they still replenished if we ask? Just wondering if we should bring a couple with us.

TIA!

10. KurtC

KurtC Mouseketeer

The Cast Member Appreciation Party is still going strong at MK and you can hear it from CR :-)

11. KJeff90

KJeff90 Earning My Ears

Just booked our stay for August 2018 for a 2-Bedroom Villa at Bay Lake Tower! Will be travelling with a total party of 8. I've only stayed at Pop Century on two previous trips, so this will definitely be a big step up. We had plans to stay at Art of Animation with a larger party(12), but when plans fizzled for some, we found a better deal on a 2-Bedroom at BLT than the original 3 suites we were going to get at AoA. There are plenty of first timers to WDW in our party, and there's definitely a lot of excitement.

I've already called in to put a room preference request. Apparently it's been typed as "highest non lock off villa facing north". Any opinions on this possible view? We have a lake view villa booked, but hoping for maybe a peek of MK. Was trying to avoid the harsh summer sunlight from the south, and having to look directly into other villas on the inner U of the tower.

12. paradesintherain

paradesintherain DIS Veteran

I get to return to the Contemporary nearly 10 years exactly since my last visit! We booked Tower - Bay Lake view for June 24-28! I am so excited! Last time we stayed in the Garden Wing!

13. Lyons Family

Lyons Family Mouseketeer

Yes I can sense your excitement on going back to the Contemporary.

For us this past summer was like fulfilling a childhood dream going and staying there.

Even as adults it took us 4 times at the Wilderness lodge, and 6 at the Grand Floridian, until we finally tried the Contemporary this summer.

Now mind you each resort holds something special that we look forward too.

BUT

This summer the friendliness of the staff --- the nice walk to Magic Kingdom---the pools---the monorail experience----the dining experiences---
    Sold us.
    IT WAS AN AWESOME TIME.

We only experienced on minor bug, but that was on check out.

Were sold and are booking again for next October.

Enjoy, we did

14. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Dish soap, probably. Laundry detergent only on your service days (every four days if using DVC points or booking on cash through DVC).

15. shan981

shan981 Earning My Ears

After asking for advice and changing my mind about 20 times, we finally decided to change our entire stay to CR (we were originally going to split with AoA). We changed to GW to keep it under budget. I'm hoping I don't regret that, but we've never stayed in the Tower so I don't think the kids will know the difference anyway.

Myself, DH, DS10, DS2, DS2 will be there November 25 - December 2. Let the countdown begin!

GADisneyDad14 likes this.
  16. AaronInWI

AaronInWI Mouseketeer

I wouldn't worry at all about regretting your decision! With five of you, you'll appreciate the extra space the CR room will provide. I've personally never stayed in the GW, but from everything I've read people really like them. Hope you have a great trip!

shan981 likes this.
  17. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

We stayed in the South Wing, when there was still a North Wing (where BLT is now located) and thought it was great. No wait for an elevator because one flight of stairs was easy. And it was only about four minutes from the monorail or bus stop.

18. ArwenMarie

ArwenMarie DIS Veteran

The GW is nice, we liked our stay there. It's nice and quiet but just a minutes walk to the Tower. We had a pretty room, the view was lovely.

shan981 likes this.
  19. shan981

shan981 Earning My Ears

Thank you for saying that! Some of the things I've read could have had me convinced that we'd have an unbearable amount of extra walking to the Tower. That was my main hesitation in changing to GW, so I'm glad to hear that hopefully won't be the case. I am considering requesting a room close to the Tower, but with a double stroller, I think requesting a first floor room will take priority.

20. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw Co-Moderator, Restaurant Board Moderator

Here's a plethora of photos of the Contemporary Resort's construction in 1970 & 1971:

21. GADisneyDad14

GADisneyDad14 TPAS Moderator Moderator

Totally cool, thanks for sharing!!

It always fascinates me to think back to that time... with CR, Poly, MK, the monorail, etc all under construction. The fact that any of it ever got started (and finished) is truly amazing for the time.