Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

Another person who travelled to where the virus originated in China. It seems like that’s the case for all the people in the US.

Too late now but we shouldn't be allowing anyone in the country who originated from the Wuhan area at ALL. If they are US residents returning from the area they should be held in a two week quarantine. Seems like weve been incredibly sloppy so far allowing people in from that region.

Honestly right now this outbreak is starting to remind me more of the 2009 swine flu then Ebola or SARS. Hopefully it can be got under control before it gets to be as devistating.

I share your concern. We have a WDW trip booked for 2/25-3/6. Seems inevitable that this will hit WDW by then.

I rented DVC, purchased tickets through Undercover Tourist, and didn't purchase flight insurance, so I'm totally screwed. Going to look into purchasing third-party travel insurance if it isn't too late.
It isn't 'inevitable', at all.

I agree it can’t be compared to the flu but it can be compared to SARS and Ebola which were both deadlier than this virus. Both of those pandemics were contained so assuming right now that it will be all over the US might be jumping the gun.

They have said that this has a much easier transmission than SARS, which is why they fear it could/will be worse.

Too late now but we shouldn't be allowing anyone in the country who originated from the Wuhan area at ALL. If they are US residents returning from the area they should be held in a two week quarantine. Seems like weve been incredibly sloppy so far allowing people in from that region.

This is what I said from day one when the news broke. Why, WHY, didn't they put an immediate quarentine in place?

This is what I said from day one when the news broke. Why, WHY, didn't they put an immediate quarentine in place?
Maybe because people in this lawsuit happy country started suing the government over being put in a quarantine after traveling to the US from Ebola affected areas a few years ago. Unfortunately lawsuits have a history of negatively affecting future government policies.

It isn't 'inevitable', at all.
It's not inevitable that it will get to WDW by 2/25 but it does seem very reasonable that it will eventually get there, for many reasons having not just to do with the virus, but also when & where it first started. It may be that the best thing we can hope for is that the global spread is slowed long enough for a vaccine to be developed; and that said transmission occurs over the course of the next year or two instead of over the next few months, which might tax even the US's health care system.

If I were going to WDW (our anywhere) this year, I'd definitely try not to buy a package, but something that could be cancelled closer to the date.

Also, if the trip has been charged on a Chase Sapphire, read the fine print. People may have travel insurance and not even know it, though I don't know if it applies in a situation like this. Probably companies will institute a cut-off date by which time you had to have purchased the insurance, e.g. mid-December (before the public knew there was a problem), in order to be covered.

It's not inevitable that it will get to WDW by 2/25 but it does seem very reasonable that it will eventually get there, for many reasons having not just to do with the virus, but also when & where it first started. It may be that the best thing we can hope for is that the global spread is slowed long enough for a vaccine to be developed; and that said transmission occurs over the course of the next year or two instead of over the next few months, which might tax even the US's health care system.

If I were going to WDW (our anywhere) this year, I'd definitely try not to buy a package, but something that could be cancelled closer to the date.

Also, if the trip has been charged on a Chase Sapphire, read the fine print. People may have travel insurance and not even know it, though I don't know if it applies in a situation like this. Probably companies will institute a cut-off date by which time you had to have purchased the insurance, e.g. mid-December (before the public knew there was a problem), in order to be covered.

Yeah, every travel insurance policy I've looked at does not cover outbreaks. Best bet is a cancel-for-any-reason upgrade, but that option typically has to be added soon after the first payment for your trip. I think I'm out of options if worst comes to worst.

I'm just as concerned about an "iffy" situation where cases get reported in/near the resort but they haven't officially closed yet. Then you have to measure the risk of being there and worrying vs. playing it safe and losing a boatload of cash.

Maybe I'm overblowing it, but the chances seem pretty high.

This stuff usually doesn’t worry me too much, but this seems bad. I am a teacher and I have a student visiting China right now. I’m concerned for him and his family, as well as possibly exposing the rest of the school when they get back. I know they’ve had it planned for a long time, but I wish they would have cancelled their trip😩

I have to admit, this coronavirus is definitely making me a bit nervous about being on the brink of a pandemic. Given that the first case in the US was reported on Tuesday and now we already have confirmed cases in five different US cities is certainly disconcerting. While healthcare professionals are always at risk, the fact that the first medical professional has already died suggests this coronavirus is quite virulent. Additionally, China is almost certainly greatly under-reporting the number of cases and deaths that have occurred there. Viruses in general are always a little more nerve wracking to me as we can only offer supportive and not curative care (in general).

Interestingly, I did read an article that they are theorizing having had a live vaccine (like MMR) may offer some protection as there have been only a few cases of children with this coronavirus and children are more likely to have a recent MMR.

While I do try not to worry about things completely out of my control, I’m definitely feeling a bit anxious about this one!

I think that this will turn out to be a widespread virus, slightly more dangerous than the regular flu. But I do think the horse is out of the barn, so to speak- there are already many cases popping up all over the world. In fact, there are so many cases worldwide that mathematically extrapolating back to China means there must be far more affected there than have been reported thus far.

I'd still get travel insurance- if it becomes more endemic (kind of always present, like the regular flu or chicken pox) than pandemic it's possible that YOU becoming sick is more likely than WDW actually closing. Travel insurance is likely to cover that.

I also subscribe to MedJet, which will basically bring us home from anywhere, even Florida, if we get sick. Between that and the Chase Sapphire card and our own health insurance, I just try to use common sense and lots of hand sanitizer!

I'm one of those weirdos who wipe down my seat and tray table on the airplane, but (even though I have RA and take some powerful immune suppressing drugs) since I started doing that, none of us has gotten sick on vacation.

Last edited:
You realize people are dying, right?

You realize that there is a ton of overreaction happening when talking about cancelling trips in the United States right? The thing about it, is we live in a country where you have that right. I also have the right to not be concerned and trust our medical system and treatments. Being concerned and overreacting and stoking fear are two very different things. Take a breath control what you can control and trust the experts to do their jobs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!